Pittsburgh

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Pittsburgh

Postby mfinn on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:46 am

I am contemplating a move to Pittsburgh and would like to find an experienced and serious T'ai Chi Ch'uan group and/or instructor there or nearby. I have been most recently a long-time student of the late Master Yu Cheng-Hsiang of NYC. Master Yu's approach was hyper-traditional and martial. That is kind of what I am looking for.
mfinn
Santi

Re: Pittsburgh

Postby Tom on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Based on experience with students, I'd recommend Zhang Yun (Yin Cheng Gong Fa), www.ycgf.org . The taijiquan is northern (Beijing) Wu style through the late Wang Peisheng, Zhang's teacher. Actual usage is a continuous theme of their practice.
Here in Ikaria, we do not try to add years to our lives. Instead, we add life to our years. We make the most of every day. - Ilias Parikos
Tom
Administrator

Postby Tom on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:25 pm

If you are looking for something more in line with the Yang style you're familiar with, Glenn Hairston might have something to offer. I don't have direct experience with him or his students.

http://glennhairston.com/
Here in Ikaria, we do not try to add years to our lives. Instead, we add life to our years. We make the most of every day. - Ilias Parikos
Tom
Administrator

Postby mfinn on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks. I actually met Master Wang many years ago when he visited my teacher in NYC, Yu Cheng Hsiang. Those two together were really something.
mfinn
Santi

Postby formlessfighter on Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:58 pm

There is a great Tai Chi teacher in Pittsburgh named Sifu Glenn Hairston

You can see his YouTube channel here as he puts out lots of content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyNWD3 ... 0OSdGYpxmw

Here is one of his recent videos:

He can be contacted at www.glennhairston.com
formlessfighter
Santi

Return to Request a Teacher