practitioner help

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

practitioner help

Postby nexus01 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:47 am

I live in DTLA, and i cant find any chinese chuan fa practitioner near me except for the fantastically talented Sudan Jeffers. Right now in my search ive gone through chinatown, trying to speak with the local herbalist/acupuncturists,knowing that they are the likeliest in finding the reclusive ones. Im just being sincere and honest when i ask but other than the obvious language block not helping me, many deliberately look like they might know, but i feel that budging for the answer wont be in my favor.

should i ask much more politely? should i approach this differently?

I was also possibly thinking that maybe i should look elsewhere, other than the apparent chinatown bustling with their fair share of acupuncturists/herbalists occupants?

what of the benevolent associations? its a risk, but if one wants to learn, they have to take big risks.

any other information you can provide me would also be helpful

Thanks, in advance ;D
Last edited by nexus01 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nexus01
Santi

Re: practitioner help

Postby JAB on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:05 am

Go train with Tim Cartmell and you will not have to worry about a thing!
JAB
JAB

Postby kshurika on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 pm

I second that.

But, you'll have to ask Tim politely.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I can't help but think, that this is a very creative trolling attempt.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby nexus01 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:45 pm

i maybe would, although its a bit far, not that i would i totally second the notion of going to Tim, i just thought i could reach to someone more recommendable in my area so it can be accessible but without compromising the quality of a kuo shu practitioner.
right now in my situation, i thought that maybe tracking down the more reclusive instructors would be able to help me out, any available tips, points, hints, etc. in finding these people would be greatly appreciated.
Although i initally knew that i wouldnt have anybody else in my vicinity except Mr. Jeffers, i felt that finding others whether in a park, at a backyard,etc. would still help,and i know they're out there, you just have to look, albeit a bit time consuming, but thats just it, put in some some time and dedication and it could help me go far. just gotta have some guidance, advice, directions, etc. and i feel the rest shall follow mellifluously
Last edited by nexus01 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nexus01
Santi

Postby nexus01 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:46 pm

how so?
nexus01
Santi

Postby edededed on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Methinks your expectations are very high - what are you hoping for? Why do you think that people would just recommend you to their secret fantastic kung fu uncle, just upon meeting you, however sincere you may seem?

People who teach for a living are happy to have new students in general, otherwise I would guess that most people aren't too keen to teach.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby nexus01 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:03 pm

@ededede:im sorry if i seem to be setting the bar just a wee bit too high. i wouldnt expect myself to immediately be accepted by anybody or anyone. I dont think of any CMAist like some person resembling a deadly,elderly, mystifying kung-fu master in an old wuxia film, rather to keep that fantasy superficial rubbish elsewhere other than my mind.

I just thought to be provided with some help. what i "hope" for is to be given a chance by anybody, regardless of style, so long as the passion and quality is in the heart of the person who would be interested in teaching by any manner.

for those who dont teach out in the comfort of the public, find it much more enriching and focused if a handful or fewer are given an opportunity. it offers for the students if not more for the teacher to have that same enjoyment rather than being tuckered out by a school of students set on a daily basis, whilst more students gradually step in,and they might find it a bit more stressful to involve themselves, and although instructors step in, sometimes it might fall a bit short based on their own experience,perception,etc. and it'll be even harder for the student to immerse themselves, and getting the rhythm of movements, with eventually having them drop out, and now this is my viewpoint so feel free to give some criticism on this, i speak on behalf of personal experiences.
i have Sudan Jeffers in my area, and nothing more would be better but to be a student, but right now my finances are kicking me in the shins.

i dont want to settle myself in a corner and go in a roundabout argument. all i can give you is my word and the question that im asking. im just hoping there's no hard feelings? please. :-\
Last edited by nexus01 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nexus01
Santi

Postby kshurika on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:31 pm

This thread's as weird as the last one you started. Look, are you from an Eastern European country and did you have a severely restricted childhood? Why don't you just say, "I'm broke"? In that way we can help you. Here's my advice: Get some MONEY! Quit this bullshit about finding a friendly Mr. Miyagi who will take you in as one of his cherished few students and who will grant you entrance to the closely-guarded secrets of Wudang Mountain. Mr. Miyagi lives in L.A. and L.A. is f**king expensive! If, on the other hand, you want to learn the martial arts that used to be about fighting, get in your car, drive down the freeway to Fountain Valley and follow JAB's and my advice. Go see Cartmell. I told you before, his Saturday free sessions from 3 to 6 are FREE! He won't be doing them for awhile, but you can use the time to get some money. Otherwise, hope that Pat Morita comes back from the dead and will sober up long enough for you to find out he doesn't know shit about martial arts.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby edededed on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Pretty amazing that Tim does/did free sessions at all - that is definitely a rarity (almost nothing is free in real life).

I just wasn't understanding what (who) you are looking/hoping for... Do keep in mind that people probably will not be delighted to teach you in general (or even want you in their backyard) - you will have to give them something to try and convince them. Money is a start, $100 a month is puny (private violin lessons cost me $40 an hour as a kid) - if you cannot even pay that, you should perhaps lower your hopes somewhat. Those who do not have general classes to begin with should be rather hard to convince in general (and $100/month just won't cut it).

That said, not sure what can even be found in Chinatown (note that Chinatowns tend to be Cantonese, so Southern-based systems may be more likely), but you will probably need (good) friends who are "inside" to find anything.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:13 am

Dude, I have traveled over the last 8 years to train with Tim, and it has involved a lot more than just a car ride down the 405! Quit bitching and train if you really want to train. Excuses are lame!
JAB
JAB

Postby nexus01 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:27 pm

well i shall keep this brief, and it is that i do not own a car nor do i necessarily know how to drive. Needless to say, it doenst mean i can't even try. can u give me, maybe, the bus routes, and such to get over there down in fountain valley. i know it's in orange county, but distance should be trivial compared to the aspiration, and i shouldnt lean on excuses. i just reposted this question in a better fashion in order to get it addressed correctly, prior to the one posted up on the three internal arts section.
Last edited by nexus01 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nexus01
Santi

Postby JAB on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:57 pm

Ace jiu Jitsu, Fountain Valley, CA. Google is your friend!
JAB

Postby kshurika on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:59 pm

JAB wrote:

Dude, I have traveled over the last 8 years to train with Tim, and it has involved a lot more than just a car ride down the 405! Quit bitching and train if you really want to train. Excuses are lame!
JAB

Nexus01:

You see, the bus ride from Seattle to Fountain Valley is much longer for JAB and he looked up the routes all by himself. Do you want a little more info about Tim? Go to shenwu.com. Also, read the interview with him in "Nei Jia Quan" a book of interviews edited by Jess O'Brien. And, before you ask me where you can get the book, I'll tell you - A BOOKSTORE!
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Guys.....this guy's pulling your collective leg. He writes like he's Professor Henry Higgins with all the affectation of a $3 weekend street queen. Let's get this right....dude's got no job, no car, doesn't even know how to drive, talks like a butler in a Merchant Ivory film, and we're supposed to believe he can afford to live in L.A.? He's already ignored repeated admonitions to drop the fakey attitude but is still milking it.
Chris McKinley

Next

Return to Request a Teacher