Cerebus at the Lei Tai

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Re: Cerebus at the Lei Tai

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 am

Yo, congrats troy. If I every get back to the bay, I'll be seeing you, and fong.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:44 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:Yo, congrats troy. If I every get back to the bay, I'll be seeing you, and fong.

Thanks! Lookin' forward to it...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:54 am

Okay, so here's the vid of my fight against the guy who took the silver medal.

From my point of view...

Good: Maintained my structure 'til the end of round 1, kept up the straight-line beng chuans until I started gassing out, on one occassion decent ducking of the punch followed by takedown, decent grabbing of the kicking leg and punching to the head (3 separate times for that).

Bad: No cardio so I gassed out fast, serious lack of head movement (I was too concentrated on offense) leading to taking head shots that could've been avoided. Lack of cardio lead to sloppiness and brawling from late in 1st round on into second round.

Okay guys, fresh meat!! Have at it, tear me apart and be honest...
http://www.fallingleaveskungfu.com/Troy ... oy%20I.wmv
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Plante on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:11 pm

Congrats! You dominated the first round and have the better technique. Keep training!

It's nice to have Ashe comments on the vid too!!
Like dragon, like phoenix.
Plante
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:13 pm

could you please, please upload this to youtube... i can't use windows media player

... i am begging here...
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:29 pm

I'll see what I can do. Though since Ashe has the original, he might be better able to do so....
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:34 pm

cool, thx for the thought.....pwease Ashe
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:08 pm

uh, since ashe is just hosting the video on his website, you can just save the video yourself, and then upload it to youtube.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby kreese on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:23 pm

Big ups to Troy! You've always made yourself available to others to test your gong fu, and your participation in this tournament in spite of a recent injury shows the true heart of a warrior. I'm inspired by you to train with more intensity and focus.

*bows*
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:40 am

discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:21 am

cool! thanx for posting that Ashe. Troy thank you very much for putting yourself up for tenderisation for our pleasure!...

seriously, all respect to you for getting up there and going for it, hope you can play next time while fully fit!
Mut
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:47 am

Cerebus,

Props for competing fella! Liked the XingYi feel you put into it, especially at the start. Your structure is strong and you get in lots of clean beng-style hits to his face.

Gassing out is the pits - when doing this kind of sparring I remember feeling like I couldn't even raise my arms up to protect my head after a while! It requires incredible endurance. For some reason I always find I gass out quicker after getting a round break - it's like your body gets a chance to realise how knackered it is :)

If it was down to just skill I think you'd have won that fight. His knee to the chest finisher looked a bit late in the day to me as well... and on the blind side of the ref.

Very good stuff!

Don't like the idea of that drop off the edge of the stage though... - looks like a broken leg about to happen to me everytime somebody goes off it!

G

p.s. if I get over to Bay Area in Jan would be great to meet up.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks Kreese, Mut, Graham and everyone! Yeah, when your cardio sucks, everything just goes to hell. Hey Graham, definitely give me a holler if you get to the Bay Area, I'm always happy to meet fellow EFers.

Unfortunately, we never didn't manage to connect with Dr. Fish at the tourney, but we were able to meet and spend time with Fukien White Crane Sifu and author Lorne Bernard and his students, one of whom (Etienne) competed in the Lei Tai and took the gold for his division. Lorne and his people were awesome! They're French-Canadians from Montreal and we all had a GREAT time after the fights, going out for dinner & drinks, then staying up til 3:30 in the morning talking Kung Fu.

Yeah, Imma be ready for the next Lei Tai event. Unfortunately I've searched the interweb and can't seem to find anything like a Western Regional tourney of this type. There was a Northern Regional and a Maryland Regional, but so far that's all I've found. I'll give the USKSF a call & see if they can provide me with more info...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 am

Sifu Lorne Bernard was an awesome person to meet. He was one of the most interesting kung fu people to have conversation with in a very long time. i suggest checking out his website at http://www.shaolinwhitecranekungfu.com and Ashe did an interview with him on http://www.fallingleaveskungfu.com/main/podcast.php

I have to give props to his student Etienne who really displayed good fighting form throughout 3 fights he had to do. He beat the Wah Lum guy in his third fight. (wah lum guy had knocked out both his opponents)
neijia_boxer

Postby cerebus on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am

Yeah, Etienne had some hard, fast low kicks and straight, powerful punches. While many others were looking like schoolyard brawlers, he was clearly a well-trained fighter.
cerebus
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups