Bagua/yiquan players in Seattle

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Bagua/yiquan players in Seattle

Postby amorphousone on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi all,
I was a long-time lurker on EF, then quit for several years, and lo and behold, have discovered quite a lot has changed (I hope David's enjoying the other side).

I'm looking for two distinct and specific things.

1) Does anyone in the area train with Gregory Fong? I took some private lessons with him some years back, and would like to start again if he has the availability. However, because of the cost and commute, I could only afford once a month or so, and it would be helpful if there was someone local who I could converse with from time to time and maybe give me some minor corrections, which can be hard for Gregory to do via email. I'm not asking for instruction, just a couple of hints or cues from time to time.

2) Does anyone do bagua from the Yizong system? I learned some very basic stuff from M. Brinkman a long time ago and time after time watching/reading material from the Yizong guys feels most like what I'm after (I think maybe they view the principles more strongly than the forms that contain them). Well, regardless of lineage, I'd like to learn some basic things, one piece at a time. Like right now I'd like to pick up teacups again, but it's been 12 years and I'm sure I'm missing some principles behind the gross movements. My ultimate goal is to really learn from ground zero again. I tried this when I first moved to Seattle under Chang Wu Na / Liu Meihui, but it was far too form oriented, among other things, for my taste.

I've seen the directories on RSF for WA instructors, and although there may be some HIGHLY recommended players, they may not be a good fit for what I'm looking for (Jake Burroughs comes to mind; correct me if I'm wrong Jake).

Finally, I'd appreciate meeting up with anyone that wants to point me to some local bagua/yiquan resources that might not be apparent on the interwebs; I'll buy you a coffee.

Apologies if this post is a bit convoluted and ambiguous; I'm struggling to combine what's important to me with what's really possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Scott
amorphousone
Santi

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups