I want to meet you

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Re: I want to meet you

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:50 am

It's finally happened! Subitai is in Lakeland at the Tampa Bay Martial Arts Group 2023 Fall retreat.

Pictures and video coming
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:27 pm

origami_itto wrote:It's finally happened! Subitai is in Lakeland at the Tampa Bay Martial Arts Group 2023 Fall retreat.

So I got to meet and push with Origami itto... And surprise he was nice guy.

He even took off his shirt in the Tampa heat and showed off his pierced nipples. Hahahaha

But really, to any dudes that want to hate the guy...it's hard to . Unless he was faking it.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:45 am

Subitai wrote:
origami_itto wrote:It's finally happened! Subitai is in Lakeland at the Tampa Bay Martial Arts Group 2023 Fall retreat.

So I got to meet and push with Origami itto... And surprise he was nice guy.

He even took off his shirt in the Tampa heat and showed off his pierced nipples. Hahahaha

But really, to any dudes that want to hate the guy...it's hard to . Unless he was faking it.

Aww thanks man. I know I'm a little different, but yes just a sweetheart.

And you were personable and pleasant, willing to work the newbs, inscrutable and mysterious in the deployment of your jin... le sigh. I always coming away wanting to train harder.

I think I pushed too much water and not enough electrolytes though. I used to have a protein shake with some muscle milk on the way out to the park and it would be doing the job by the time I got to the heavy pushing. I was running on coffee till I got that gyro at noon and after that second wind I was toast. I ran out like a rat just before the rain came. Barely made it home I was so tired but could not do another night in that heat with no air mattress, uh-uh.

I managed to get a ton of great footage though. Want to get it edited up nice and present a well-organized package.

Really good to meet you, Onassis. Let's do it again in the spring!
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:46 am

Seriously, y'all I was feeling pretty good about my progress till this guy decided to just start ignoring my root.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:50 pm

origami_itto wrote:Seriously, y'all I was feeling pretty good about my progress till this guy decided to just start ignoring my root.

First keep in mind, these types of gatherings are not competition, people do what they feel comfortable, they can hard or soft and generally you get the feeling of someone is beating you or not. Accept and learn ....if they genuinely can beat you, I say.

Jason, you have skill ... you're just looking at the wrong things imo. You went against my student Matt didn't you? He moved you around too pretty handily?

Dude I could fill those gaps your missing in a day. Learn from someone who has fought professionally.

My Sifu said to me, (basically) " absolve yourself of all thoughts of trying to win, simply do what is correct and let the win happen by it self".

This led to an epiphany>>>>>>>>>>
I don't know if you have it on tape ( I hope you recorded us)...me explaining "The way into danger , is the way out" & vice versa.

(It's also NOT just go with the flow )

This concept answers the mystery,
"How do I get my opponent to do what is technically correct and still loose"

(!) Root means nothing if you give me what I want. I wasn't using strength either.

All them dudes that talk about Facia....I go through them butter.

You saw it...I'm not talking smack either.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:15 am

Subitai wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Seriously, y'all I was feeling pretty good about my progress till this guy decided to just start ignoring my root.

First keep in mind, these types of gatherings are not competition, people do what they feel comfortable, they can hard or soft and generally you get the feeling of someone is beating you or not. Accept and learn ....if they genuinely can beat you, I say.

Jason, you have skill ... you're just looking at the wrong things imo. You went against my student Matt didn't you? He moved you around too pretty handily?

I don't remember who Matt was but I didn't have too much trouble with anybody but you honestly. Didn't have a chance to get much done with Chris Marshall but that was looking interesting.

It's a competition with my former self, handling the energy better than I did. :D

I feel a lot better about how I'm doing in general there, Eliminated a lot of problems but still have some defense issues. Stopping the two handed push... Like three dudes found it as a last resort, just make the whole body hard and shove the hands in my chest.

I THOUGHT I could react to it and redirect, but I found I have to pre-empt it. By the spring I should have that burned in.

Dude I could fill those gaps your missing in a day. Learn from someone who has fought professionally.

Maybe next time I'll get that lesson. I am always looking for more data and theory to throw into the lab.
My Sifu said to me, (basically) " absolve yourself of all thoughts of trying to win, simply do what is correct and let the win happen by it self".

This led to an epiphany>>>>>>>>>>
I don't know if you have it on tape ( I hope you recorded us)...me explaining "The way into danger , is the way out" & vice versa.

(It's also NOT just go with the flow )

This concept answers the mystery,
"How do I get my opponent to do what is technically correct and still loose"

(!) Root means nothing if you give me what I want. I wasn't using strength either.

All them dudes that talk about Facia....I go through them butter.

You saw it...I'm not talking smack either.

Yeah you just pushed right through me and I couldn't stop it.
Everybody else, unless they were doing the two hand full body thing, the pressure would route down into one of my feet and I'd have that nanosecond of "stick" in which I could respond.

Here it's getting past that and I'm tensing and get pushed out.

Pnut did something similar when we met, he would do a double pump like to provoke a flinch reaction. The first to provoke and the second to take advantage of it. It worked once then I stopped reacting and it stopped working. I found the gap between the fake and the strike.

You FELT like a double pump but I don't think it was. It was sudden, but not like changing speeds to catch me in a bad spot, and there seemed two waves but close together, like the second came and left no gap so that it naturally finds the hollow in my response and fills it.

So I started dealing with that first one and like a considerate friend you just kept giving me MORE, thanks.

I got caught reacting to your threat without being able to threaten you in return so you strung together up to three in a row to catch me... maybe four that one time but I think the dehydration blindness was kicking in and I was either pushing with you or a very nice LEGO policeman in a santa hat.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:20 am

Oh and it's all recorded, I'm cleaning it all up and editing and want to present it in a way that people are going to want to watch. More people need to see actual realistic push hands exchanges and training.

Here's what I've released so far, still needs editing, but the kickoff of the event. You can get an idea of the size of it and can see the rules and expectations and culture. I know you were there for it but other folks are lookin https://gopro.com/v/zbllk9KkWBNZ1
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:13 am

Subitai wrote:My Sifu said to me, (basically) " absolve yourself of all thoughts of trying to win, simply do what is correct and let the win happen by it self"

That's word-for-word what my taiji teacher told me, and what I found myself repeating, paraphrased, to my son when he rolls in BJJ classes: "you're in a school, so the goal is to learn, not to win. The better/more effectively you learn, the more you will (incidentally) win. But your ego is trying to focus on winning and it's obstructing the learning process."
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:14 am

Dmitri wrote:
Subitai wrote:My Sifu said to me, (basically) " absolve yourself of all thoughts of trying to win, simply do what is correct and let the win happen by it self"

That's word-for-word what my taiji teacher told me, and what I found myself repeating, paraphrased, to my son when he rolls in BJJ classes: "you're in a school, so the goal is to learn, not to win. The better/more effectively you learn, the more you will (incidentally) win. But your ego is trying to focus on winning and it's obstructing the learning process."

In any given moment working with someone, in any given exchange, the "goal" may change.

For me, personally, the only goal in these meetups is to get better by applying the result of my effort in working with other people, which is fully half of what it's for.

Not just martially, or push hands, I have a tremendous amount of social anxiety that I work through using the same skills.

So the primary goal is to improve, I get there by testing and failing and finding what works both in the moment and in my training to prepare for those moments. The failures in my ability to push or avoid being pushed inform what I am missing in my form and conditioning.

But to get good data I have to try to push. Sometimes that means I'm attacking a lot, sometimes, like with Onassis I was just trying to figure out what he is doing. Sometimes it's just working on my structure and movement and listening. Sometimes I'm trying to present opportunities for someone to learn with. Sometimes I'm directly instructing because anything else is a waste of time. It varies.

To get good data I have to try to push... correctly. If I can't respond within the context of what I consider correct and skillful Taijiquan then I let it go and reset.

I do hope that comes through in my pushing and video. :D
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:44 am

What video ???
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:53 am

wayne hansen wrote:What video ???

Oh you know, whatever I post. Working on editing the clips from this week in the order that I filmed them. It's not ALL just me, but that's obviously what I'm most interested in on the first pass. :D

origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:55 pm

Is this a member here pushing with you
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:06 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Is this a member here pushing with you

No, I don't think so. I'll get to the video with Onasis/Subitai a little later. I have hours of footage to sort through.
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups