Alchemy of baguazhang in London

Post internal martial arts seminars, events, retreats, tournaments, and informal meet-ups here.

Alchemy of baguazhang in London

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu May 22, 2008 7:55 pm

http://www.inbiworld.com/eventsdetail.p ... en&num=171

Oleg Tcherne, a Russian martial arts and Taoist alchemy adept, will be teaching a three day seminar from June 6-8 on the alchemical elements of baguazhang practice. Details are available at the link above.

I'm posting this because I would love to hear any feedback form the people attending. So if anyone reading this goes, please give us a review of the seminar.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Re: Alchemy of baguazhang in London

Postby edededed on Mon May 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Hmm - the details for this seminar are quite vague - what exactly is he going to be teaching then? And where did it come from?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Tue May 27, 2008 6:18 pm

edededed wrote:Hmm - the details for this seminar are quite vague - what exactly is he going to be teaching then? And where did it come from?

i'd suggest reading around the website for answers to your questions. I'm not sure where it came from exactly but it looks to be very useful. I'd judge it by the utility rather than the source.

Please let us know if you go.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue May 27, 2008 6:49 pm

Well, looking through his site, he has quite a lot of material (in terms of martial arts, mostly taijiquan; in terms of Daoist methods, various (some of which I am familiar (although there are substantial differences), some which I am not)). It must not have been easy to find teachers to learn so many things...

As for utility, well - being unable to judge utility (not knowing the guy), source is one way to at least get a feel for things...

Anyway, his baguazhang is apparently Liang style from Huo Dongli, who learned from two people - Zhao Dayuan (Li Ziming's disciple) and Xie Peiqi (Men Baozhen's disciple). (I practice Liang style, anyway, so I suppose there is no reason for me to go :) )

Still, if anyone else goes, please let us know how it goes.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Tue May 27, 2008 9:15 pm

If you aren't willing to get out and LOOK at other people, then you won't be able to judge the utility of what they're doing. Even when it's the same style that I do (no wait, especially when it's the same style as I do) I always go to see whoever comes around because they might have a different take on the material, might have something that I don't, etc.

People should take advantage of these things when they come around.

Dave C.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue May 27, 2008 11:55 pm

Well, if there were videos or something on the site, I would have something to look at besides descriptions. As it is, we do have to decide where to use our rather limited funds - so we have to decide based on what information we have.

I used to do more "looking around" - it was interesting, and was nice to see various approaches of doing things. Now, I personally want to stay put and take advantage of my own teacher, while I have access to him...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Wed May 28, 2008 3:37 am

Here's a video of their push hands:

Looks solid to me.

Dave C.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed May 28, 2008 5:47 am

Ah - sorry, you posted that a while ago, but I didn't connect the name with the video. :)

Some other videos are pretty nice there - really masterful capoeira, some nice taijiquan, etc. Saw about a half-second of baguazhang, too...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Tiger Mouth on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:55 am

I was there for the whole weekend - (i.e. including the Friday night talk and self-massage). I thought it was an exellent seminar and Oleg came across as really knowing his stuff. That said, I am by no means any kind of expert. The group were keen for him to came back so he may return in a few months time. It should be clear enough from the website but this is not directly martial material, though it is still very physical. I would say if Daoist internal alchemical practices appeal then give it a go next time.
Tiger Mouth
Santi

Postby edededed on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:46 am

Cool, nice to hear. What sort of material was covered in the seminar? (What IS Daoist internal alchemical practice?)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Tiger Mouth wrote:I was there for the whole weekend - (i.e. including the Friday night talk and self-massage). I thought it was an exellent seminar and Oleg came across as really knowing his stuff. That said, I am by no means any kind of expert. The group were keen for him to came back so he may return in a few months time. It should be clear enough from the website but this is not directly martial material, though it is still very physical. I would say if Daoist internal alchemical practices appeal then give it a go next time.

Yes, thanks for posting that. Could you describe briefly what was covered?

Dave C.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Tiger Mouth on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:16 am

[quote=Yes, thanks for posting that. Could you describe briefly what was covered?

Dave C.[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm not "here" very often, and also I'm not sure what to say. It was new material to me and I don't want to misrepresent anything. Simply, the weekend was essentially preparatory work. Friday evening was Daoist self-massage, opening and connecting the nine vessels. The Saturday was spent working through baguazhang preparatory movements. Static forms, exercises to open and connect the dan tiens, shifting weight, rising and sinking, steppping, and the cardinal points (Earth/Kun, Heaven/Qian, Water/Kun and Fire/Li). Sunday we covered the same ground as Saturday but without the detailed explanations, so more doing.

I think that's about all I can say. Hope it was of some use.
Tiger Mouth
Santi

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:03 am

Thanks for the description. Glad you enjoyed it.

Dave C.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Tiger Mouth on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:10 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:Thanks for the description.

A pleasure. I believe he may be back in London in November.
Tiger Mouth
Santi

Return to Events, Seminars, Tournaments, Meet-ups