Quality Heavyweight Wing Chun Fighter

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Quality Heavyweight Wing Chun Fighter

Postby williamwilson666 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:31 am

A good, powerful wing chun practitioner that apparently does a little bjj cross training. Having studied Wing Chun before I went on to the internals- and having been pretty unimpressed by most of the people that practise it- I have to say this is a breath of fresh air. Not that I've never seen better, just that I've not seen much better in this sort of environment. Seen one or two of Alan Orr's guys but, frankly, I don't think that's too much more than generic kickboxing. This is quite different.

williamwilson666
Anjing

Re: Quality Heavyweight Wing Chun Fighter

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Just a note: The guy is way way better conditioned than the dudes he's fighting. That could perhaps have something to do with why he trounces them so effectively.

Also, whats up with the slight towards generic kickboxing? Kickboxing is a great style and it has depth that would surprise many of its detractors :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:41 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:Just a note: The guy is way way better conditioned than the dudes he's fighting. That could perhaps have something to do with why he trounces them so effectively.

Also, whats up with the slight towards generic kickboxing? Kickboxing is a great style and it has depth that would surprise many of its detractors :)

I' not saying "generic kickboxing" is bad in itself. Far from it. But it isn't Wing Chun.

I would agree about his conditioning, but that would probably be considered unusual in the canon of chinese martial artists that have entered these tournaments, and certainly not to his discredit. But these are- i believe- among this fighters first mathches, and it looks as though he has a very strong base to build from.

- But PLEASE lets not allow this to get derailed by an abstract discussion about what Chinese martial arts on the whole should "look like". Rather focus on the specifics of this clip, the like of which are rare enough.
Last edited by williamwilson666 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:52 pm

To be fair, he did do really good.
But on another level we can say that in many instances generic kickboxing is much more practical than wing chun (just a response to the "but it aint wing chun"). But yeah, he's powerful and fast and well conditioned. And a very good fighter. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:57 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:To be fair, he did do really good.
But on another level we can say that in many instances generic kickboxing is much more practical than wing chun (just a response to the "but it aint wing chun"). But yeah, he's powerful and fast and well conditioned. And a very good fighter. :D

Again, I wouldnt disagree. Well, actually, I would. But the point I was making originally didn't relate to the efficacy of either Wing Chun or Kickboxing, rather that the two are different in training and application at a very fundamental level- BUT back to the question in hand: does anyone know this guy? Think he must be in NY because that looked like Bruce Kivo from MMA confidential as the ring announcer.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby chud on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Mix, I think you're missing William's point...he's not saying Wing Chun is superior to kickboxing, just that it's unusual to see it in this type of venue (as opposed to kickboxing, which is more common).
Last edited by chud on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:03 pm

chud wrote:Mix, I think you're missing William's point. He's not saying Wing Chun is superior to kickboxing, just that it's unusual to see it done well in this type of venue.

Yeah, I picked that up after the fact.
I'm just a little allergic to the CMA is better than every other style on the planet argument that is so often posited around. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:06 pm

Understood, it's the "total package", not just the style.
chud
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 pm

chud wrote:Understood, it's the "total package", not just the style.

I'm a big fan of all martial arts so I'm happy to see good fighters, or guys who are good at teaching health or whatever. Its all good as long as you do what you say your doing and your honest.
Learning some Kickboxing really opened up a lot of possibilities in my IMA too, but I digress since I'm just starting to babble.... ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:47 pm

2nd clip - that initial punch at 3.12 is awesome! BOOM!

I'm thinking 'XingYi Horse' when he does that.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:15 pm

That guy's record was 26:0?! I'd like to know exactly whom he was fighting to get that record... :-X

Also, at 4:30 the guy drops a downward elbow in the back of the other guy's head... That's some loose rules, eh? :-/
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:41 pm

The fat dude in the second clip was tough as hell. Dude took some serious abuse and kept on fightin'. Respex to fat white guys! Woot!
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:12 pm

Must be honest, struck me as the sort of fighter one might see outside a car park. But he was determined and- supposedly- has a decent record. What i was impressed by is the fact that he was quickly redced to "old school" MMA fighting where the only hope is to get one's head down and hope that one is able to take the opponent to the ground.

In a way, it must have been a tad frustrating for the Wing Chun fighter. I think if this fighter were at an advanced level, with the concometent foot work, he would not so frequently have been reduced to the "sprawl". Rather, through agression, and mobility, more quickly have exploited his obvious fighting superiority.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby Methods on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:30 pm

I dont see much WC, but I do see allot of teeth on that chick in the second vid - what the hell!
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby chud on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:49 am

Methods wrote:I dont see much WC, but I do see allot of teeth on that chick in the second vid

...and a serious New York accent! ;D
chud
Great Old One

Return to Video Links