diagonal flying .... wrestling

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

diagonal flying .... wrestling

Postby everything on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:08 pm

seems to be a no-gi grappling video, but he uses the phrase diagonal flying. so guess he has wresting and tai chi background?

didn't try to find more on his background.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: diagonal flying .... wrestling

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:30 pm

His channel says mantis boxing and BJJ. I don't think diagonal flying is unique to taijiquan. Probably exists in mantis too.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:32 pm

maybe it came from mantis. don't really know.

edit: i mean ... everything is from tai chi ;D ;D maybe mantis got it from tai chi. :P
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:00 pm

I couldn't possibly guess at the background of the guy wearing a mantis t shirt... 8-)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:58 am

I think it's just cma. Afa the name, though, maybe someone who does mantis can say.

Anyway, afa tjq, ime, the principles are similar. The biggest "difference" is that they start from a grappling position --i.e., with the opponent grasping the defender with both hands. It'd be interesting to see how they got into that position. The principle behind the technique is clear --and doesn't even have to be internal.:)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:57 am

What's in a name? The human body can physically only move and shape itself in a limited number of ways. Thus, there are many form set postures which appear in numerous styles, with an upper body shape that looks virtually identical in a still photograph, while perhaps differing in the stance employed.

Even when the same stance accompanies the upper body shape, the physical mechanics of the body method and the power generation methods can vary considerably among different martial art styles and systems. The form name of shared postures may also vary from one style to another. As such, the name of the these shared postures is irrelevant. The way in which the posture is performed and applied is of greater importance.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:11 am

A basic application, done pretty cleanly and convincingly. What I certainly like is that the guy - although he doesn't explicitly say so in tai chi terminology - is initiating both his versions with a yield and/or following. Especially in the first version: as the bigger guy pulls his arm, Mr. Brown basically says 'OK, I'm happy to help' which is why he first lets his arm go straight forewards before throwing 'round the corner'. To make it really good tai chi, IMO, the first movement of his arm would be exactly in the speed and direction it's being pulled. One would need to experience that live to know how effortless/natural it then feels, but certainly looks OK.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 am

GrahamB wrote:I couldn't possibly guess at the background of the guy wearing a mantis t shirt... 8-)

lol, proof that some people, um, one person, can't read. didn't look at his shirt or the name of the video, lol :)
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:02 am

Yeah, the name doesn't matter. One thing interesting to me is that he emphasizes going forward in his application. It reminds me of an application of Fan Through Back.

In that position, the "fa," could be down (sinking) or to the back. He explicitly states that he doesn't mean to the rear; but, that seems to be a very traditional type of sweep, as in:
https://img.thriftbooks.com/api/images/ ... 8524D7.jpg
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Video Links