Carenza

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Carenza

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:31 am

I thought this was very cool in a spirit dance sort of way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyCS5iSGaQ

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Carenza

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:51 am

You really need to purge your mind of all things Scott Phillps. ;D
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:26 pm

I've never been one to join the baying mob.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Terrific..... This is wonderful. Playing with movement is something dear to my "soul".
Even though it appears like a version of dance or "performance", this is how such are are maintained over the centuries.. I see it in bhangra movements, muay boran training, Caucasian (yes the real mountains of Georgia, Chechnya, etc) hinterlands where the dance mavements mimics the past history and often martial vigour of presence and flow within said movements.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:36 am

GrahamB wrote:I've never been one to join the baying mob.

;D

You sound like an American conservative suffering from a persecution complex here. I'm not part of a mob nor a baying crowd.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:33 pm

All bickering between the kids here aside, I like this video, too. It's always a pleasure for me to see a beautiful artistic expression of martial art movements of any kind. I thought it was nicely filmed and very well performed. Poetry in motion. 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:57 pm

I like this video very much. It's great to see this guy going through different phases of flow and energy, or maybe one could say the different phases of flow and energy going through him. I like the fact that sometimes he's waiting for new inspiration and not trying to force anything, but he still keeps moving. And then a new phase blossoms and he's flying for a while. I like that there are a few minor 'mistakes' or fumbles which are also on tape; of course that's part of the process but a bigger ego might have cut these out. I like the way the film ends: I was wondering how that would be done and it made me smile as I saw the solution.

I also like what he says. Simple, not pretentious but with nice insights. "There is nothing more honest..." "It creates and destroys habits"

Sometimes I do sort of similar stuff in the park with a staff of around 1.40 or 1.50 m. This inspires me to do it for longer, to keep going through the 'dry patches' and discover more. Maybe even to get a little bored and then just keep on, to find what's waiting for me.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:30 pm

To be clear (and I should have opened with this), I very much like the video. I was just teasing G but forgot that he did sort of get ganged up on a bit over the dance origins of all kung fu. Sorry, Graham! Thanks for posting.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:53 pm

I would also say that there's a difference between spirit dance - which I think the original clip is edging towards - and just "dance".

Very kind of you Ian, but the "dance origins of all kung fu"? That's a new one to me.

I've often quoted others who have proposed that kung-fu has a more convoluted pedigree than one might otherwise have expected. Historian Charles Holcome's "Theatre of combat" on the subject of kung fu history from 1990 is a good starting point.

"In China the martial arts are far more than just techniques of hand-to-hand combat, although actual fighting skills are indeed traceable far back into antiquity. In China the martial arts are an aspect of religion, with all of the attendant mystery and miracles. At the same time, the public face of the martial arts has often been that of the entertainer, and the self-image of the martial artist has been thoroughly imbued with motifs drawn from fiction and the theater. The martial arts of today must be understood as a confluence of China's unique approach to physical combat, Buddho-Taoist religion, and theater."

Full text:
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-ADM/holcom.htm

Here's something Daniel and I did on the subject too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT-yeB9Yz0M
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:13 am

And this is a great overview of the various authors and historical trends in writing about the religious connection in the Chinese martial arts:

https://chinesemartialstudies.com/2013/ ... tial-arts/
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Sajite on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:59 am

I've allways thought that "carenza" comes from the spanish word "carencia" (lacking of)

So training carenza would come from "entrenar en carencia" or "training lacking of a partner" and by that you can interfere that it was considered a lesser training method.
Sajite
Huajing

Postby marvin8 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:57 am

Reminds me of Bruce Lee in 1971: Longstreet — “The Way of the Intercepting Fist”

Bruce Lee in 1971 wrote:At 4:24, "Nah, nah, nah. Too rigid. Now, listen to the beat and listen to my movement. Now, relate to me now. Move. No, no, no. Don’t just move for the sake of moving. Relate to me, relationship, relationship! Be aware, adjust, open it up a little bit. …"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuVhhq39Gw
marvin8
Wuji

Return to Video Links