Flying Rainbow Fan 24. Turn Body with Wrist Techniques

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Flying Rainbow Fan 24. Turn Body with Wrist Techniques

Postby Appledog on Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:07 pm

I just wanted to share this video of a teaching method I came up with. If there's any interest in fan forms later on I can post a video of the Flying Rainbow Tai Chi Fan form which includes moves from Yang, Chen and Sun style.

Anyways, this move (turn body with wrist techniques) is one of the most technically demanding moves for beginners in this form. So I invented a square form for it and long story short it worked and the students were able to get the move down almost 100%.

I got the idea from the Wu style because they have a square form, and Sun style can also be taught this way. I have also seen some movements in Chen style taught in this manner. I am exploring the principle in greater detail and I think it may lead to some interesting results later.

Appledog
Wuji

Re: Flying Rainbow Fan 24. Turn Body with Wrist Techniques

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:01 am

The square approach I've found to be very rewarding.

Take for example pointing your index fingers at each other and make them move in circles in opposite directions.

Most people find this very challenging. The brain has trouble sorting out the signals.

So to square it, square it. Start with the fingers together, move them apart horizontally, move them down vertically, move them towards and then past each other horizontally, move them up vertically, move them towards and past each other horizontally, repeat.

Once they get the hang and rhythm of this, they can start speeding up and rounding it off and low and behold you can do it, and then you can just pick up your hands and do it anytime.

The squareness helps lay in a layer of neural connections that we then bridge to the roundness. Instead of trying to build them all at once with all the complexity, we create the fundamentals and then elaborate/smooth/finish them.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Flying Rainbow Fan 24. Turn Body with Wrist Techniques

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:22 am

Very grey for a rainbow brand :D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Return to Video Links