Nice Tung

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Nice Tung

Postby marvin8 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:56 am

Giles wrote:I like it too. I wonder if she can translate this form ability into things like fixed-pattern or free tuishou and applications? ...

Taijiquan Single Whip application (SW w/follow step):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFuNUAIdi_Y
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 pm

Such bad mechanics
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:22 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Such bad mechanics

He appears to be a completely random person with no affiliation whatsoever with the Dong family, and whose taiji credentials come from the rather uninspiring "American Tai Chi and Qigong Association."
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:20 pm

He is doing a lot of Huangs stuff on his YouTube
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:24 pm

[youtube]. https://youtu.be/13GYD2tjnpw [/youtube]

Some more Jasmine Dong
I hope more of her turns up
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:45 am

Thanks for posting, Marvin, but yeah, I too was wondering what that had to do with my original musing about Ms Dong (sadly deceased, as I now hear).
It's one viable application of the huge number that can be derived from Single Whip. As others already remark, this guy's body organization is strikingly bad. Among other things, this could be described as highly double-weighted stepping.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:49 am

Giles wrote:Thanks for posting, Marvin, but yeah, I too was wondering what that had to do with my original musing about Ms Dong (sadly deceased, as I now hear).
It's one viable application of the huge number that can be derived from Single Whip. As others already remark, this guy's body organization is strikingly bad. Among other things, this could be described as highly double-weighted stepping.

Is it a GOOD application though? Looks like it relies on ignoring the right hand and barely works against a compliant partner at quarter speed.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:52 am

Giles wrote:Thanks for posting, Marvin, but yeah, I too was wondering what that had to do with my original musing about Ms Dong (sadly deceased, as I now hear).

Yes, just one person's application of SW. And, I agree with wayne. It wasn't that efficient and the mechanics and timing may be off. (Robin's boxing mechanics are not that good either.) If instead, Robin stepped with his left heel first to the outside of the right hand, rolled to the ball of his foot, pivoted, shifted his weight and pushed at a 90°, some of which Ms Dong does in the OP, it would seem to be more effective.

origami_itto wrote:Is it a GOOD application though? Looks like it relies on ignoring the right hand and barely works against a compliant partner at quarter speed.

Robin doesn't ignore the right hand. He slips to the outside of it, which is done all the time in professional fights. So, yeah it works. I posted a gif of it here, including, "I will add that Lopez could have slipped the punch then pushed, instead."
marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:07 am

marvin8 wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Is it a GOOD application though? Looks like it relies on ignoring the right hand and barely works against a compliant partner at quarter speed.

Robin doesn't ignore the right hand. He slips to the outside of it, which is done all the time in professional fights. So, yeah it works. I posted a gif of it here, including, "I will add that Lopez could have slipped the punch then pushed, instead."

Well then all I can say is he's doing a piss poor job of demonstrating it.
Like I get the IDEA is to slip it, but what he's doing would result in EATING it.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:08 am

Anyone who thinks it’s a good application needs to go back to school
1 the punch never would have reached him he had to step in to catch it
2 thé punch is thrown at half pace
3 he hooks from the left across to his right it the time a guy jabs and withdraws
To do that his speed would have to be 3 times as fast as his opponent
4 he moves into the line of the other arm
5 even though the other guy just plays dummy he has to pull the second punch not to hit him
6 he double weights to pull off a clumsy push

Apart from that nothing wrong
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:38 am

Here's some more!
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:47 pm

This guy is good one of the best I have seen do the fast form
However Jasmine is on a whole other level
I would love to know this guys history
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cgtomash on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:58 am

wayne hansen wrote:This guy is good one of the best I have seen do the fast form
I would love to know this guys history

This is Mak Ying Po, affectionately known as "Master Mak". I started learning Tai Chi from him in in Edmonton, Canada in 1983. It was actually later that same year when the video was filmed that I started my training.

Master Mak was a long-time student (discple) of Tung Ying Chieh, first learning from him in Shanghai in the 1930's, continuing with him until Tung's death in 1961.They were separated for a while during the time the Japanese were at war with China, but reunited in 1948 when he joined his teacher again in Hong Kong. Master Mak eventually started to assist Tung Ying Chieh with teaching, and continued to teach in Hong Kong on his own after Tung's death. In 1968 he moved to Canada, first to Saskatchewan and then settling in Edmonton, Alberta in 1970.

Here is a nice article written about Master Mak by a student in 1979.

http://www.chipellis.com/Writings/Exerpts%20from%20Mak%20Ying%20Po%20Originally%20published%20in%20Interface.pdf

In the above video, I think he was 70 years old. He passed away in 2006 at the age of 93. On a visit back to Edmonton (I moved to Vancouver) I saw him in 2005, and he as still teaching!

Jasmine Tung came to Edmonton and visited Master Mak in 2005. She interviewed him for a section about students of her father, Tung Ying Chieh, in her book about the Tung family Tai Chi.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taichiclu ... 655481194/

Below is a photo of Master Mak with his teacher Tung Ying Chieh at the Hong Kong Airport in 1950?

Master Mak demo with student at the club in 1979

Last edited by cgtomash on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
cgtomash
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:15 am

I know you were just trying to show us Jasmine, but youtube keeps shoving all these Tung in my face so I figured I'd save/share them here.

origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:39 am

wayne hansen wrote:This guy is good one of the best I have seen do the fast form

So what I didn't realize until just now is that Jasmine Dong is Dong Ying Jie's daughter. Dong Hu Ling's sister.

When Dong Ying Jie passed in 1961, Dong Hu Ling took over the school, when he moved to the states in 1966, she took over as the head of the Hong Kong school.
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links