Resistance

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Resistance

Postby liokault on Sun May 28, 2023 12:56 pm

Marvin, just leave it now. Arguing to some one about Systema is like arguing with a Scientologist…even when you have won, there still a Scientologist.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Sun May 28, 2023 1:18 pm

Why don't you guys start knitting if you like nitpicking so much, LMAO!

Poor Ryabko had nothing better to do after his extremely successful military career than cheat people out of their money, instead of calmly enjoying his retirement. Yeah right!
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Sun May 28, 2023 1:20 pm

You make a 2x4 look smart ;D
Quigga

Postby RobP3 on Sun May 28, 2023 1:42 pm

liokault wrote:Marvin, just leave it now. Arguing to some one about Systema is like arguing with a Scientologist…even when you have won, there still a Scientologist.

No argument here I'm just explaining the clip. The scientology comparison is silly.
Last edited by RobP3 on Sun May 28, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby liokault on Sun May 28, 2023 2:37 pm

RobP3 wrote:
liokault wrote:Marvin, just leave it now. Arguing to some one about Systema is like arguing with a Scientologist…even when you have won, there still a Scientologist.

No argument here I'm just explaining the clip. The scientology comparison is silly.

Says the guy in the cult.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sun May 28, 2023 3:50 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Good grief, Marvin! Give it a rest, man. You are practically the Poster Child for my previous comment. ::)

I am not, nor have I ever been a Systema practitioner, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think I clearly understood your criticisms of Rob's video during the first dozen times you posted them, and I find it very curious that you won't accept his explanation of what he intended to demonstrate in his video. ???

Perhaps you could better illustrate your ongoing critique by producing your own video, not clips of boxers or MMA fighters, in which YOU show how the subject matter is better demonstrated. -shrug-

I'm pretty sure Marvin8 is a linguistic algorithm bot designed to test the limits of simulated human text interaction ahead of the public release of the simplified version known at Chat GPT. He/they/it can never post their own videos because they do not, in fact, have an actual body with which to demonstrate. They can, however, produce other people's videos, either in their entirety or as animated gifs, at a moment's notice, because in a very real sense, they ARE the internet.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Mon May 29, 2023 12:58 am

liokault wrote:
RobP3 wrote:

Says the guy in the cult.

Lol, great, explain to me how I'm in a cult? How does it work? What rules do I have to follow?
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Mon May 29, 2023 12:59 am

Bhassler wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:Good grief, Marvin! Give it a rest, man. You are practically the Poster Child for my previous comment. ::)

I am not, nor have I ever been a Systema practitioner, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think I clearly understood your criticisms of Rob's video during the first dozen times you posted them, and I find it very curious that you won't accept his explanation of what he intended to demonstrate in his video. ???

Perhaps you could better illustrate your ongoing critique by producing your own video, not clips of boxers or MMA fighters, in which YOU show how the subject matter is better demonstrated. -shrug-

I'm pretty sure Marvin8 is a linguistic algorithm bot designed to test the limits of simulated human text interaction ahead of the public release of the simplified version known at Chat GPT. He/they/it can never post their own videos because they do not, in fact, have an actual body with which to demonstrate. They can, however, produce other people's videos, either in their entirety or as animated gifs, at a moment's notice, because in a very real sense, they ARE the internet.

Interesting
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon May 29, 2023 4:01 am

RobP3 wrote:Do you work against resistance?

Part of why I like BJJ is that it answers that question automatically :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon May 29, 2023 5:52 am

RobP3 wrote:

Yes. And I was just discussing it, my intention. I was not arguing nor criticizing. To clarify: I had a genuine interest in what your thoughts were, which is why I asked. I used quotes and specific timestamps in order not to mischaracterize you. When you quoted me, I replied each time out of respect and to explain, however honestly. I said, "You are not demonstrating what you're talking about [resistance] ... :)" with a smile meaning I'm not arguing or suggesting you should demo another way. Since you demoed without resistance, I asked questions about the demo to further understand, given your circumstances. I did not say that you could not escape a two handed grab under resistance with your method (unseen).

The phrase, "Move away from the tension/resistance, then work into the weak points" sounds broad in scope. I believe this Systema instructor does that against a two handed grab, similar in concept to your 1:30.

marvin8
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Mon May 29, 2023 7:23 am

I said, "You are not demonstrating what you're talking about [resistance] ... :)" with a smile meaning I'm not arguing or suggesting you should demo another way. Since you demoed without resistance, I asked questions about the demo to further understand, given your circumstances. I did not say that you could not escape a two handed grab under resistance with your method (unseen).

Okay. But again, the initial start point I work from is a simple movement away from or around direct tension. Step One.
Do you teach or have an instructor btw?

The phrase, "Move away from the tension/resistance, then work into the weak points" sounds broad in scope. I believe this Systema instructor does that against a two handed grab, similar in concept to your 1:30.

To an extent, though he is more using strikes into the tension to break structure, another option
Last edited by RobP3 on Mon May 29, 2023 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon May 29, 2023 8:27 pm

RobP3 wrote:
marvin8 wrote:I said, "You are not demonstrating what you're talking about [resistance] ... :)" with a smile meaning I'm not arguing or suggesting you should demo another way. Since you demoed without resistance, I asked questions about the demo to further understand, given your circumstances. I did not say that you could not escape a two handed grab under resistance with your method (unseen).

Okay. But again, the initial start point I work from is a simple movement away from or around direct tension. Step One.
Do you teach or have an instructor btw?

No. I did watch some of your tension videos, which gave a little more info.

RobP3 wrote:
marvin8 wrote:The phrase, "Move away from the tension/resistance, then work into the weak points" sounds broad in scope. I believe this Systema instructor does that against a two handed grab, similar in concept to your 1:30.

To an extent, though he is more using strikes into the tension to break structure, another option

Striking is not necessary. At 3:24, the Systema instructor explains: step back, grab [control] with one hand, give burden with the other in a 45°angle from his balance point (e.g., steering wheel), then take the opponent down.

marvin8 wrote:Concepts & principles
• protect from headbutt
• protect from strikes
• off balance/extend attacker
• pin/trap arms
• open and close into weak angles
• use opponent’s force against themselves
• use whole body
• use leverage...

marvin8 wrote:No. The Systema instructor is talking about and demoing principles. At 3:24 in one movement, he pins the attacker's arms, steps back, unbalances the opponent (using cross & lever principles), then takes him down.

marvin8 wrote:Systema example using cross and lever principles. "I can use the cross principle in this situation and give burden in a 45 degree from his balance point."

Transition CRT
Oct 29, 2017

In this video we explain the basic principles of how to defend yourself against a frontal throat grab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDBlDQScKeA
marvin8
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Tue May 30, 2023 2:00 am

Dmitri wrote:
RobP3 wrote:Do you work against resistance?

Part of why I like BJJ is that it answers that question automatically :)

Yep, well the good thing with any grappling is you can go pretty much all out in regular training, in a way you can't so much with strikes/kicks. But there is still a question of how do you work against tension - directly, or around it? Seems the best BJJ people know how to use movement rather than "resistance."
There's also the fact of working within a certain framework, so there are things not allowed. So how does the grappling change if you introduce other forms of resistance?
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue May 30, 2023 5:24 am

RobP3 wrote:
marvin8 wrote:The phrase, "Move away from the tension/resistance, then work into the weak points" sounds broad in scope. I believe this Systema instructor does that against a two handed grab, similar in concept to your 1:30.

This "Systema: Cross Principle" video is more detailed. He doesn't use "strikes into the tension," but moves opponent, gives him burden and disbalances.

1. Move opponent in a 45°angle towards the ground.
2. Give opponent a certain amount of burden to disbalance.

What I will do is I will move him in a 45°angle towards the ground. This has two advantages. First of all, I will lower or minimize his posture, which will deny him the possibility to move a leg, which he needs to restore the balance. A second thing that I will do is I will give him a certain amount of burden that he needs to carry in order to be able to restore that balance. First, I will show you what will happen if I move him just in a 90°angle in relation to the Center of Mass. He is able to restore his balance. Now I will apply the two principles of the 45°angle and some burden. The burden, obviously, will be me and my own body mass. Same goes for a motion towards the rear…

Transition CRT
Jul 20, 2017

In this video we explain the cross principle of Systema. This principle will help you disbalance your opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvghWtFxW4E
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 30, 2023 9:57 am

RobP3 wrote:how do you work against tension - directly, or around it?

I'm an older guy rolling with younger and mostly bigger/stronger folks, so I pretty much have to work around pressure vectors. (Plus, 20 years of tai chi also embedded the same ideas into my body...)

There's also the fact of working within a certain framework, so there are things not allowed. So how does the grappling change if you introduce other forms of resistance?

Working within confines of a framework is a given in any training/MA scenario, even in Systema :). So I'm not sure what you mean here by "other forms of resistance"
Dmitri
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links