What is a Master

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

What is a Master

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:13 pm

Can’t wait to go through all his stuff
https://youtu.be/8A3-qokw7Pw?si=L43CK34dmV7WSs7z
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: What is a Master

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:37 am

I think it's an excellent description of a master, especially the part about their sense of responsibility to the subject and the student, and the ability to teach.

Though, in tcc, I think many feel the only people deserving of the term 'master' are those who've mastered tcc. But, what that really means is that there are no masters. Certainly none who've beaten everyone in competition.

In that sense, I think master is a title bestowed by students on those they feel deserve it. Anyway, some schools solve it by using the term 'professor.' :) I remember Professor Vee, and there was Professor CMC. Hmm, was YLC even known as Master, or did that come later?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:01 am

Steve James wrote:I think it's an excellent description of a master, especially the part about their sense of responsibility to the subject and the student, and the ability to teach.

Though, in tcc, I think many feel the only people deserving of the term 'master' are those who've mastered tcc. But, what that really means is that there are no masters.
Certainly none who've beaten everyone in competition.

In that sense, I think master is a title bestowed by students on those they feel deserve it. Anyway, some schools solve it by using the term 'professor.' :) I remember Professor Vee, and there was Professor CMC. Hmm, was YLC even known as Master, or did that come later?

Because he had been a college professor, his students in the USA called him "Professor Cheng."

The interview was interesting, many good points brought out...
Do agree that the students themselves choose the title they wish to address their teacher with.
Whether the teacher then adopts the title does not always follow...or it could be something like "shifu" meaning someone quite skilled
or a "master" level practitioner...
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:53 am

:) The point was that CMC never called himself a master, though his definition did go beyond tcc. It was more the idea of a Renaissance man who excelled at several arts, including poetry and calligraphy. But, that's another subject.

Yeah, sifu/shifu is the common name for teacher. Ime, though, sifu was also a title. Just because you studied with someone meant you were actually accepted as a student. Calling someone sifu meant you accepted that person as your teacher. The sifu, though, looked up to someone they'd call "master."

There are people on rsf whose teachers were grandmasters, but they'd never call themselves 'master.' It'd be appropriate to call them masters though.

Anyway, Prof Vee had nothing to do with tcc or cma. People who teach bjj are often called/considered professors. Even when arts do use the term; for ex., "mestre" in capoeira, it's really just teacher. Though there are Mestres like Bemba and Pastinha who popularized capoeira, a mestre is just your teacher.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:15 am

Steve James wrote::) The point was that CMC never called himself a master, though his definition did go beyond tcc. It was more the idea of a Renaissance man who excelled at several arts, including poetry and calligraphy. But, that's another subject.

Yeah, sifu/shifu is the common name for teacher. Ime, though, sifu was also a title. Just because you studied with someone meant you were actually accepted as a student. Calling someone sifu meant you accepted that person as your teacher. The sifu, though, looked up to someone they'd call "master."

There are people on rsf whose teachers were grandmasters, but they'd never call themselves 'master.' It'd be appropriate to call them masters though.

Anyway, Prof Vee had nothing to do with tcc or cma. People who teach bjj are often called/considered professors. Even when arts do use the term; for ex., "mestre" in capoeira, it's really just teacher. Though there are Mestres like Bemba and Pastinha who popularized capoeira, a mestre is just your teacher.

What makes people a master? The video makes a good point-- it is more about a proper master making you a master, than anything else.

I'm still trying to figure out some very basic things.
Last edited by Appledog on Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:42 pm

I think the reason CMC used the term Professor is because it was a widely used term in jui jitsu at the time
It just meant high level teacher
Grandmaster has almost become meaningless
In the video he states he is a master of teaching sword not a sword master
I remember an Indian guru who called himself the Divine Master
He stated he was not Devine he was teaching Divinity
Just like a Math master was a master of teaching Maths
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:19 pm

"Grandmaster" has nothing to do with actual skill, it is just an honorary title given to the creator of a style, or to the leader of a lineage, or of a big organization.

If you need a diploma to call yourself a master, have bought the title or have been given the title or permission from someone else, it still doesn't mean you are a master. You should know if you are a master or not, if you doubt if you are, then you are probably not.

A master is not always a teacher. Some don't teach, others teach without really teaching.

A master in martial arts should be able to use his art to fight with his art and be able to handle most situations. Otherwise not a master, IMO.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 pm

A grand master is someone who's taught other masters. Imo, he or she doesn't have to be teaching anymore at all. They just close their hands.

However, if I studied with someone for a long time, and they lost the use of their legs, they'd still be a master to me. Same thing if they lost a fight. That's just me. I know guys who say "If you can't beat me, you can't teach me. And you can't be a master if I can hit you."

Unlike fencing, there's no standard for having mastered anything in tcc. What someone can say is that they know and can teach the entire curriculum (of their system). Like the fencing master said, if he can't teach it, he's not a master. Otoh, as a coach, his students might be better than he is. Jmo.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:22 pm

:)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:42 am

Properly a Professor title should be worn by someone who actually is or have been such at colleges and universities, ZMQ fits in that category.
My fencing teacher was unanimously called “Maestro” he was a Sicilian and he was an olympic champion so maestro was very fitting.
Shifu - here in China can be applied to the Taxi driver .

In many cultures it’s common to address a teacher/professor with those labels, same with doctors, also Mr, Mrs, Ms/Miss comes natural …..(of course in the specific culture/county’s own language)
Sweden in the 60’ies adopted a reform that was to erase such things and basically just address people as “you” or call them by name.
Trick
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:57 am

When I was first training with my teacher he was learning fencing
He would tell me about his fencing teacher
Giles Standish
Giles would spar with his students while drinking a glass of port
Never spilling a drop
He would also show how to use fencing as empty hand art
I have yet to meet anyone with my teachers pushing skills so for him to be impressed I know how good the Mastero was
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:05 pm

The Court Jester - Danny Key also did that fencing drinking thing :)

I was just a very young kid when I trained fencing, but the school was one of the prominent fencing schools in Sweden…… because of the Maestro - https://www.olympedia.org/athletes/22667

The Maestro took time often instructing me one on one, maybe because I was at time the youngest at the school or perhaps there had been some good (military)fencers in my family line.
Although as a young kid I could understand and was amazed by the Maestro’s exquisite sensitivity with the foil

Maybe I really learned a thing or two from his teaching cause I myself once found myself during single hand push hand with another Master holding on to a full Chinese teacup with my non pushing hand without spilling
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:27 am

The title of Master and $7.95 will get you a Carmel macchiato at Starbucks.

Much more interested in mastering than titles
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:33 am

origami_itto wrote:The title Carmel macchiato .

Is an Americano stained with milk and sugar
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:36 am

Trick wrote:
origami_itto wrote:The title Carmel macchiato .

Is an Americano stained with milk and sugar

I dunno, not a Master barista.

I think they make them more like a cappuccino. Four espresso shots, some flavor syrup, foamed/steamed oat milk?

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links