Like his ideas

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Like his ideas

Postby BruceP on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:11 am

Trick wrote:Yes, and any such would probably try to hijack Yiquan method in an even weirder way……. Oh, wait they already on that path

Not sure what you mean. My sarcastic reply to your post was coming from what I've seen here at RSF over the past couple of decades, and in recent years.

It's easy to spot the bullshitters, and to see who knows what they're talking about. The people who know what they're talking about being challenged by the bullshitters and then the bullshitters co-opting the ideas and 'speak' they used to argue against...like the rest of us don't notice. Imagine entrusting your learning to someone like that...

Those who know, know - those who don't, blog

The people who know what they're talking about don't always agree, but that discord comes from an experiential understanding and not some academic interpretation of what someone else wrote a hundred years ago - or some point on their curve of ever-changing 'understanding'.

It's like my noting the congruity between the formats of practice in the video Wayne posted and the gulf between that and what Graham understood about what he was seeing. It starts from a place of not understanding, and ends up at a place of not understanding, and not even caring to understand. Just one example of how the practical skills development of these arts is overlooked or dismissed by people who have never done the kinds of work dude shows in the video. How could they know?

So, it isn't even about what's shown the video, or what dude was discussing. It's more to do with cultivating ignorance/lack of understanding, and becoming practiced in the skill of appropriation and co-opting of others understandings to fill the gaps created by that cultivation of ignorance. Graham's misguided suspicion of my need to pontificate from on high has robbed him of his opportunity to gain insight to something he mistook for "rage" in the video. The ideas are there for anyone to see - "Do your own research"...it's easy...

The Beat is a concept and tactic that is at least as old as long weapons usage and has been a part sport fencing since its earliest days. Bruce Lee adopted the concept and expanded on it as Hand Immobilization Attack to include trapping and intercepting. Not my "personal jargon" that Graham accuses me of using to elicit enquiry. Again, "Do your own research"

Covering is another concept that is ubiquitous in lots of different MA systems that closely ties with The Beat in all kinds of empty-hand fighting 'styles'. Not my "personal jargon"

Look and Gaze are pretty obvious in the video for anyone to see if they take the time to watch the video at the timestamps I listed. But again, cultivation of ignorance and not doing one's own research...

Jimmy posted this picture in another thread. It illustrates Look and Gaze as it happens in most pre/post contact moments in full-on 'fighting'. It's also a very nice representation of Yin and Yang coming into balance, caught in the moment:
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:21 pm

You say "Graham" a lot don't you Bruce? But maybe it worked - it's nice to see you posting something with some explanation for a change. It's much better than the usual stuff. Keep it up.

Anyway, much better - I'll leave the tai chi explanation to experts like yourself from now on. I'm happy to stick to sparring.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:31 pm

BruceP wrote:
Trick wrote:Yes, and any such would probably try to hijack Yiquan method in an even weirder way……. Oh, wait they already on that path

Not sure what you mean. My sarcastic reply to your post was coming from what I've seen here at RSF over the past couple of decades, and in recent years.

It's easy to spot the bullshitters, and to see who knows what they're talking about. The people who know what they're talking about being challenged by the bullshitters and then the bullshitters co-opting the ideas and 'speak' they used to argue against...like the rest of us don't notice. Imagine entrusting your learning to someone like that...

Those who know, know - those who don't, blog

The people who know what they're talking about don't always agree, but that discord comes from an experiential understanding and not some academic interpretation of what someone else wrote a hundred years ago - or some point on their curve of ever-changing 'understanding'.

It's like my noting the congruity between the formats of practice in the video Wayne posted and the gulf between that and what Graham understood about what he was seeing. It starts from a place of not understanding, and ends up at a place of not understanding, and not even caring to understand. Just one example of how the practical skills development of these arts is overlooked or dismissed by people who have never done the kinds of work dude shows in the video. How could they know?

So, it isn't even about what's shown the video, or what dude was discussing. It's more to do with cultivating ignorance/lack of understanding, and becoming practiced in the skill of appropriation and co-opting of others understandings to fill the gaps created by that cultivation of ignorance. Graham's misguided suspicion of my need to pontificate from on high has robbed him of his opportunity to gain insight to something he mistook for "rage" in the video. The ideas are there for anyone to see - "Do your own research"...it's easy...

The Beat is a concept and tactic that is at least as old as long weapons usage and has been a part sport fencing since its earliest days. Bruce Lee adopted the concept and expanded on it as Hand Immobilization Attack to include trapping and intercepting. Not my "personal jargon" that Graham accuses me of using to elicit enquiry. Again, "Do your own research"

Covering is another concept that is ubiquitous in lots of different MA systems that closely ties with The Beat in all kinds of empty-hand fighting 'styles'. Not my "personal jargon"

Look and Gaze are pretty obvious in the video for anyone to see if they take the time to watch the video at the timestamps I listed. But again, cultivation of ignorance and not doing one's own research...

Jimmy posted this picture in another thread. It illustrates Look and Gaze as it happens in most pre/post contact moments in full-on 'fighting'. It's also a very nice representation of Yin and Yang coming into balance, caught in the moment:

Well said
Only a surfer understands look and gaze
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:05 pm

BruceP wrote:

Not sure what you mean.

I mean that such ppl you refer to that have hijacked and doing fraudulent TJQ are more than often also those very same who fraudulently teach “Yiquan” too
Trick
Huajing

Postby BruceP on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:36 pm

GrahamB wrote:I'll leave the tai chi explanation to experts like yourself from now on. I'm happy to stick to sparring.

If I wanted to put on airs of expertise, I'd just do what you do and write a blog - your own private echo chamber, as it were. It's more fun to post here and have you launch baseless, misguided arguments against genuine IMA training methods and other tried-and-true, widely understood concepts of empty-hand fighting...while you play freud...

It'd be interesting to see what your sparring looks like without beating and covering the hands and arms - with no understanding of Look and Gaze to guide the spatial and positional nuances of movement as it pertains to tjq's boxing method.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 pm

Trick wrote:I mean that such ppl you refer to that have hijacked and doing fraudulent TJQ are more than often also those very same who fraudulently teach “Yiquan” too

Ok, thanks

And so you know, I was not implying that you, Trick, are one of those bullshitters.

I like the way the exchange between SIfu Cellphone and I progressed to perfectly illustrate the points in my rant, and what the guy in the video was talking about regards "misunderstanding" 8-)
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:13 pm

BruceP wrote:
Trick wrote:I mean that such ppl you refer to that have hijacked and doing fraudulent TJQ are more than often also those very same who fraudulently teach “Yiquan” too

Ok, thanks

And so you know, I was not implying that you, Trick, are one of those bullshitters.

I like the way the exchange between SIfu Cellphone and I progressed to perfectly illustrate the points in my rant, and what the guy in the video was talking about regards "misunderstanding" 8-)

Oh, no I didn’t take it as you were addressing me, your points are very clear toward whom they are pointing
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 am

Y'alls legs must be strong AF carrying around all that resentment.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:51 am

BruceP wrote:
GrahamB wrote:I'll leave the tai chi explanation to experts like yourself from now on. I'm happy to stick to sparring.

If I wanted to put on airs of expertise, I'd just do what you do and write a blog - your own private echo chamber, as it were. It's more fun to post here and have you launch baseless, misguided arguments against genuine IMA training methods and other tried-and-true, widely understood concepts of empty-hand fighting...while you play freud...

It'd be interesting to see what your sparring looks like without beating and covering the hands and arms - with no understanding of Look and Gaze to guide the spatial and positional nuances of movement as it pertains to tjq's boxing method.

It's mildly hilarious that you think having a blog that 300 people read and generates zero income means I'm putting on airs of expertise. You really are funny. Still, my blog has enabled me to meet several great people who I've interviewed and who are worth the time listening to.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:14 am

GrahamB wrote:
BruceP wrote:

It's mildly hilarious that you think having a blog that 300 people read and generates zero income means I'm putting on airs of expertise. You really are funny. Still, my blog has enabled me to meet several great people who I've interviewed and who are worth the time listening to.

OH MR BIG TIME JOURNALIST OVER HERE!!!

Seriously, though, a blog is the opposite of an echo chamber because people will tell you what they think.

As opposed to places like here where people think facts are decided by whoever is best at ... Uhh... Talking about what they USED to do? I haven't quite figured out the system yet.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links