Kata for fencers

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Kata for fencers

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:27 pm

Trick wrote:Embedded or not I can’t see it, is it something Japanese(“kata”)? Or Olympic fencing(“fencing”) The “Fencing “ and “kata” combined makes me imagine something weird

The teacher, a fencing instructor, has created a couple of pre-arranged drills, which he calls "études" for his fencing students that he feels can perform the same purpose as a karate kata, a martial art which he also practices and teaches. He thinks that these études if performed with proper imagination can condition one to be a more fearsome fighter because they employ actions that are banned in sport martial arts such as MMA. Personally, I don't believe his reasoning, but I thought that the video had high production value.
Last edited by G. Matthew Webb on Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:08 pm

Trick wrote:Embedded or not I can’t see it, is it something Japanese(“kata”)? Or Olympic fencing(“fencing”) The “Fencing “ and “kata” combined makes me imagine something weird

One of his arguments is that kata (forms) are necessary because fear affects skill. If you don't practice for precision when there's no threat, you won't be precise when there is.

I think it makes perfect sense for fencing, where the targets really need to be guarded. I.e., fencers really need to protect themselves. Sparring in martial arts is not always the same. Aiming for the face and eyes are perfectly valid targets; sometimes the best. But, eye attacks are illegal in most combat sports, especially in sparring.

Otoh, without the fear of getting hit in the face, there's no reason to really learn how to prevent it. So, it's a balancing act. Here's a cool sword duel where you can't fuck up 'hai yaa;
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:05 pm

G. Matthew Webb wrote:

The teacher, a fencing instructor, has created a couple of pre-arranged drills, which he calls "études" for his fencing students that he feels can perform the same purpose as a karate kata, a martial art which he also practices and teaches. He thinks that these études if performed with proper imagination can condition one to be a more fearsome fighter because they the actions that are banned in sport martial arts such as MMA. Personally, I don't believe his reasoning, but I thought that the video had high production value.

Thanks, yes that’s sound as an unnecessary creation
Trick
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:37 am

I'm not sure, Wayne said that Wudang sword had everything that somebody needs to be a master fencer so I wonder what he's trying to say can be found in some inferior Western system.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:57 am

origami_itto wrote:

I'm not sure, Wayne said that Wudang sword had everything that somebody needs to be a master fencer so I wonder what he's trying to say can be found in some inferior Western system.

The teacher in the video does not claim to know Wudang sword. He is an instructor in Western fencing. Being good with a particular type of sword does not always transfer equally to other types of swords. Different sword types have different strengths and weaknesses. Think of the different skills needed in handling a rapier from a two-handed double-edged sword. I doubt that there is a sword type that is the best for teaching what everybody needs to be a master fencer though some may come close.
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Postby jaime_g on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:34 am

There are a lot of "kata" in historical fencing, some of them pretty complex

This attempt is not a bad idea, but the instructor is pretty bad

Some historical examples

Last edited by jaime_g on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 am

origami_itto wrote:

I know nothing of wudang sword
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:05 pm

wayne hansen wrote:
origami_itto wrote:

I know nothing of wudang sword

Sorry I thought you studied Yang Taiji Sword/aka Wudang Sword. What is the Taiji Sword you study?
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:28 pm

Well u may call it Wu dang but I call it Yang
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed May 01, 2024 5:12 am

wayne hansen wrote:Well u may call it Wu dang but I call it Yang

Swallow skims the water, big dipper, three rings around the moon, carp leaps dragon gate, present the tablet, all that?

I know we usually call it Taiji sword but I think wudang sword is more appropriate since it's an external form added recently.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed May 01, 2024 11:15 am

Imo, forms are ways to practice the best techniques for the weapon, whatever it is. There's a Wudang sword form, but the 13 techniques for the jian don't change. Every jian form has to contain those elements.

If tcc adopted the Wudang jian form, it doesn't matter.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed May 01, 2024 2:23 pm

Wu Dang isn’t even Wu Dang anymore
The name means nothing because there is so much under that name that has been invented in the last few years
I call it Yang because that’s what my teachers call it
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links