Okamoto Seigo - Daito Ryu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Okamoto Seigo - Daito Ryu

Postby AllanF on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:00 am

Here are parts one and two of a Japanese TV show featuring Okamoto Seigo.
Now although i find some of the antics of the uke bordering on the BS shall we say i though the explanations of the 'academics' of interest...though i don't speak Japanese so there was a hell of a lot of guess work there!

Has anyone here touched hands with Okamoto Seigo as i know he has done seminars in the US in the past? Any first hand experience here?

Part One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8BcRNQI ... re=channel

Part Two: If anyone can translate the highlights of this one it would be most appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyeo2drC ... annel_page
AllanF

Re: Okamoto Seigo - Daito Ryu

Postby WVMark on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:04 am

No first hand knowledge, but from what I'm told, Okamoto is very skilled. Just how skilled? I don't know. His teacher was Horikawa Kodo. Kodo learned from Sokaku Takeda.

Video of Kodo here:
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:52 am

How much compliance does it take to be thrown when you grab someone (lightly)?
Ian

Postby WVMark on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:06 am

Demonstrations in Japan are weird. Don't go by all the hopping, jumping, and theatrics from the students. Check out behind the scenes. I talked to a student of Okamoto and he wasn't using compliance when he was tossed across the room. :)
WVMark
Huajing

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:12 am

WVMark wrote:Demonstrations in Japan are weird. Don't go by all the hopping, jumping, and theatrics from the students. Check out behind the scenes. I talked to a student of Okamoto and he wasn't using compliance when he was tossed across the room. :)

My question was more general and not entirely directed at Okamoto's skill.

If you grasp someone by the wrist lightly - sort of like pluck in taiji instead of a fully committed, tensed-up grab - can they still throw you if they're good enough?

Btw when I see 'Okamoto' I think condoms :P

Okamoto (the company) makes some really thin condoms. Much better than wearing a Durex or Trojan raincoat 8-)
Ian

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Found an English-translated one (relevant part of [and better-quality] translation begins at about 2:30)

A lot of things very similar to taijiquan, like start moving before he does, feel the opponent's movement and use it to feed your "response" movement, stopping (to "break the wave" as we call it at our school), etc.
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Return to Video Links