Xingyiquan empty hand and sword form

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Xingyiquan empty hand and sword form

Postby Methods on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:59 am

me like.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby JMontalbano on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:20 am

I remain unconvinced and unimpressed.
JMontalbano
Santi

Postby nianfong on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 pm

ooh very nice... pure xingyi flavor... does a body good! :D
nianfong
Administrator

Postby edededed on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:58 am

Hmm - the sword forms are much longer and fancier than I have seen before...

He is quite good, but I still like the Kenny Gong video that Mr. Montalbano posted (with the really quick, crazy movements) recently better :) It may be true that this guy has less bagua influence perhaps, but in that vein, I have seen "purer" xingyi before...

By the way, Mr. Montalbano - if there are any xingyiquan practitioners that impressed you before (besides Mr. Gong, of course), I would like to hear it... :D At least on the Internet, the abovementioned video that you posted was the first that really hit me as "good"...
Last edited by edededed on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby JMontalbano on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:13 am

I haven't seen much that has impressed me. There is always something, some little detail that gives a lot away. Granted I don't spend a lot of time looking at internet videos.

In the video discussed in this thread there is this one detail that I see that makes me thing the person demonstrating has never hit anything in a powerful way. That it is all forms practice. Issuing power is only half of it. You must put your body in a position to not have the power you issue come back and recoil into you and overwhelm you. And there is this one detail in this gentleman's form that gives that away. At least I think so.

James
JMontalbano
Santi

Postby ashe on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:35 pm

question for someof the XY gys like fong and don bido; you guys seem to think that this is a pretty good representation of XY but looking at it the thing that jumped out at me most was that his steps seemed to land well before his strikes, and i was under the impression that the coordination of the two was highly important in XY. what are your thoughts, can you help me understand a bit more clearly?
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Ashe:

Some XY families use to land the foot a fraction of a second before the fist, to issue the strikes with whipping force. Instead of hitting a spot using the weight as an addition to the power exerted, they use the force produced by the wave that travels through the body at the moment of stepping. Whipping force is used, for example, if you hit with your left fist while stepping with your right foot, and you want to hit with your right, but you can't step forward with your right foot again. What you do is to shift your weight to the front, 'twist' your waist and send the wave to your right fist. All of it in a split second.

In this case, the performer is taking his time, probably because he's being filmed, or he wanted to reduce the speed so it would look better for the camera (although you can see that he speeds up in some moments).
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby nianfong on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:44 pm

what felipe said. I used to only train so the fist landed with my follow step. adam hsu showed me to punch with the follow step not touching the ground, following foot just slightly above the ground next to the rooted foot. This is the way that felipe is describing, and the way the gentleman performing is doing--but he's doing it with a normal santi-distance follow step.
I train both ways now, as both coordinations are useful in different situations.
Last edited by nianfong on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby ashe on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Cool.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:59 pm

JMontalbano wrote:I haven't seen much that has impressed me. There is always something, some little detail that gives a lot away. Granted I don't spend a lot of time looking at internet videos.

In the video discussed in this thread there is this one detail that I see that makes me thing the person demonstrating has never hit anything in a powerful way. That it is all forms practice. Issuing power is only half of it. You must put your body in a position to not have the power you issue come back and recoil into you and overwhelm you. And there is this one detail in this gentleman's form that gives that away. At least I think so.

James

Cool, thanks for the comments! I don't quite have the "eye" for this yet, but maybe one day!
edededed
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links