Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited - Chin na

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:08 am

wayne hansen wrote:
Trick wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:He would have done his share of sparing when he was with Henry Sue

Who is Henry Sue? Just interested to know Mizners MA background

Henry is a Gold Coast based chow gar teacher
He has been around since the early 70's
His cousin malcom is the more well known due to his Moto
Let malcom sue
Put confidence in you
With Kung fu
They also taught tai chi but it was not their strong suit

Thanks, This would be in Australia?
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 am

Oops, i just saw Marvin8 post. Thanks Marvin
Trick

Postby cloudz on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:26 am

GrahamB wrote:
My point is that we are all actors on the stage of life so why not take on the roll of Buddhist monk?

Or the roll of tai chi master....

But let’s be honest - he’s playing a roll. If people want what he’s selling, that’s down to them. I’ve got no problem with that, I’m just not buying it myself.

There's no roll in the world that beats egg and bacon! :D
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:53 am

I was on a roll.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:59 am

oragami_itto wrote:
marvin8 wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:I noticed this morning that the "revisited" interview is no longer in the "members only" section. So should be publicly viewable.

Not sure if I should post here or give it it's own thread, what you think?

You can edit the OP and adjust title, if necessary. Just a suggestion.

Alas upon further inspection I appear to have mistaken the sales funnel for the release page.

There is, however, another five minute clip with striking:
https://www.facebook.com/themartialman/ ... 075748741/

Part 1 was posted.

THE MARTIAL MAN
Published on Feb 3, 2018

Watch the full uncut video with Sifu Adam Mizner featuring over 42 minutes of profound insights and demonstrations into Yang style Taijiquan and Internal martial arts. Watch it now by clicking on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuW4UfaC-l8
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:34 am

So no evidence yet that he has anything like striking power. Would be nice to see him strike against a bag or against a sturdy kicking protection. All he show when he is asked about punches is pushing. Pushes don’t automatically translate into damaging punching power.

And second, just because he doesn’t know about them, it doesn’t mean that are not special training for iron body skills in Tai Chi.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:13 am

I remember reading something about bare knuckle boxing by Jack Dempsey that when boxing in that format one should not put in the same amount of force as when boxing with gloves when punching. From my own experience from traditional Karate sparring/fighting(bare knuckle) without any heavy bag or pad punching practice knock downs/outs, broken ribs, broken facial bones happened every now and then.
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Was that full contact Karate
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

Postby windwalker on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Bao wrote:So no evidence yet that he has anything like striking power. Would be nice to see him strike against a bag or against a sturdy kicking protection. All he show when he is asked about punches is pushing. Pushes don’t automatically translate into damaging punching power.

Just wondering if you watched the video he explicitly mentioned and gives his reasons as to why he uses his own methods.

His verbage is qi, I feel wave power is a better explanation for the method that he uses. Using this method instead of using his Mass to collide with an object, he mentions he can release his "qi" ie energy at any point on his body at the contact point to affect the other.

"This characteristic of a wave as an energy transport phenomenon distinguishes waves from other types of phenomenon. Consider a common phenomenon observed at a softball game - the collision of a bat with a ball. A batter is able to transport energy from her to the softball by means of a bat. The batter applies a force to the bat, thus imparting energy to the bat in the form of kinetic energy.

"The bat then carries this energy to the softball and transports the energy to the softball upon collision. In this example, a bat is used to transport energy from the player to the softball. However, unlike wave phenomena, this phenomenon involves the transport of matter. The bat must move from its starting location to the contact location in order to transport energy. In a wave phenomenon, energy can move from one location to another, yet the particles of matter in the medium return to their fixed position. A wave transports its energy without transporting matter. http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/w ... -is-a-Wave"

His verbiage is "qi" instead of "energy" what you seem to be noting as the lack of an obvious collison to transport the energy. ie hitting, crashing into a bag or other object. The idea of collision would tend to fall under "Crashing in, collapsing, coming away, and resistance will lose in a fight, and so they are called mistakes. If you neglect sticking, adhering, connecting, and following, you will not be able to achieve moving with awareness. https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... i-fa-shuo/

In his Clips he uses what's called long power which tends to carry person away and gives them a chance to react to it instead of short power which does not .

As was mentioned he studied Southern mantis, instead of looking at things feeling he does not know them I would suggest that's what he chooses based on experience and the path he's following
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:59 pm

C.J.W. wrote:Mizner, based on video footage, is one of the better Yang stylists I've seen.

he's good, But I'm not really sure if what he is actually using is really from Yang style in the first place.
willie

Postby windwalker on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:10 pm

willie wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:Mizner, based on video footage, is one of the better Yang stylists I've seen.

he's good, But I'm not really sure if what he is actually using is really from Yang style in the first place.

Wouldn't this only matter if he was showing "Yangs' style" and not his own work which many acknowledged
as being represented of good taiji. I no longer even bother calling what I do taiji, allowing others to make up their own minds
as to what it is....I think it would only matter if one claims to represent a certain linage of work.

I like his work,,,and conclusions
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Was that full contact Karate

Shotokan-Karate, in which sparring/competition fighting is not full contact, the unwritten rule is "skin touch" to head/face "reasonable" contact to torso, but "accidents" happened......For the other forum members that don't know, In "traditionally" Karate strikes are not just isolated arm moves and in fighting a Karateka are not trained to first chamber the fist at the hip before striking 8-)
Trick

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:00 am

windwalker wrote:[His verbage is qi, I feel wave power is a better explanation for the method that he uses. Using this method instead of using his Mass to collide with an object, he mentions he can release his "qi" ie energy at any point on his body at the contact point to affect the other.

What he mention that he can do is not important. A lot of teachers speak a lot. I am very tired of everything teachers say. I never listen to what they say anymore, I only want to see what he can do. Many people speak about Qi and show pushing. This is no proof that they can apply their method for finishing strategies. Compare with William Chen. He teaches to everyone how to use a completely relaxed and empty body method to strike with. You can see quite a few vids with his demonstrations on the tube. Everyone who feels what he does or can look closely at what he does don't doubt that the now over 80 years old small guy have at least one of the strongest punches they've witnessed. He talks the talk and walks the walk. Now if you ask Mizner how to strike, he show a push and speak about Qi. Again, a push does not translate automatically into a strike. To make some damage, the fist need to be able to penetrate a surface. This is different from unbalancing a mass. They are different skills that needs different body mechanics and both needs practice.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:47 am

Maybe striking goes against his Buddhist belief, Or at least damaging strikes?
Trick

Postby Bao on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:16 am

He didn’t say that he didn’t believe in it. He just answered the question on how you strike by showing more pushes. :-\
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links