U.S. Army Combatives Level I (BJJ Lite)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

U.S. Army Combatives Level I (BJJ Lite)

Postby klonk on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:51 am

Army Combatives ground grappling introduced and explained in about a 40 minute official video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7277855734
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: U.S. Army Combatives Level I (BJJ Lite)

Postby everything on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:55 am

40 minutes??? can you tell us some spots to FF to?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:24 am

The first six minutes or so explain the purpose of the training and shows the heirarchy of positional dominance. The rest is how-to stuff. Lots of people here already know the how-to stuff and can skip the rest of the video.

At 7:38 begins a guard pass that runs to about 9:55, and it would seem to have a couple risky moments. ??? But I do not know much; anyone care to comment on this scene?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 am

klonk wrote:
At 7:38 begins a guard pass that runs to about 9:55, and it would seem to have a couple risky moments. ??? But I do not know much; anyone care to comment on this scene?

one option/danger with that pass is the "rubber guard" or triangle choke. the arm bar could be available too. having said that i do like the ideas he showed as long as you understand as many strength/weakness of the move it is good.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:06 am

The military is doing some good stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtaklPRiPcE
I Love Pankration
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Pat on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:13 pm

i am still appalled to see ground based grappling as a base for military hand to hand.

IMO- it should be rifle, pistol, then to knife and stick. then to the Applegate/ Fairburn flavor. grappling as a base for military H2H is idiotic.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby bruce on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 pm

Pat wrote:i am still appalled to see ground based grappling as a base for military hand to hand.

IMO- it should be rifle, pistol, then to knife and stick. then to the Applegate/ Fairburn flavor. grappling as a base for military H2H is idiotic.

i think you may want to listen to what the teacher says again.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:39 am

he says one thing, but they teach another. "the guy that wins is the one whose buddy shows up with a gun. that being said, let's teach our guys to roll around with a guy, making it harder for his buddy to not accidentally shoot both of them when he shows up".

if this is their "beginning 101" stuff, they need to start with an art that focuses on weaponry, lethality, and mobility, not getting the tap.

personally, i found military H2H programs lacking. the Marine Corps, the army, and the other services are at least trying address to the gaps, but this is a stupid step. grappling is good and fun and a good training tool, but as a base?

look at the way cops are taught. if our troops have to do more police work, we should train them more like that. otherwise, we need to stick to true combatives, the old school way, not the BJJ lite way. this was the army jumping on the Gracie/ MMA band wagon.

training fighting men like sport fighters is stupid. it just bugs me.
Pat
Anjing

Postby JAB on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:50 am

I have read several reports (and I think someone wrote a book on the subject) that state soldiers have been running into more grappling situations then ever because of the close quarters combat involved in clearing houses / urban warfare in Afghanistan and Iraq.
I sincerely doubt that any soldier would forgo his weapons to wrestle a Taliban fool on the ground!
Jake
JAB

Postby Pat on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:56 am

Jake- agreed. we have our boys doing more police style work and CQB stuff than the old green on green style war.

and Bruce- sorry to come off as pissy. my man-gina was hurting this morning!
Pat
Anjing

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:02 pm

I think they'd be better served doing silat. They have a lot of "wrestling with a weapon" tech.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:22 pm

I can think of much better things for a person to do in CQB than to go for an armbar...
Ian

Postby bruce on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:09 am

how would "you" train thousands of people a systematic way of self defense?

how do you create a "system" that can improve a groups of peoples fighting skill in a short time while giving skills that can be built on?

:-)
bruce
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 am

You could start with Krav Maga

Fight Quest Part 2

or some basics from the Royal Marines
Last edited by AllanF on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllanF

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:12 am

paul vunak's stuff.

crazy monkey boxing.

...lots of options.

don't these soldiers have to clear buildings of armed opponents while carrying heavy equipment?

how exactly would bjj fit into this framework?
Ian

Next

Return to Video Links