Wang, Pei Shing linear bagua...

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Liu Bagua Style Wang Pei Sheng

Postby Bob on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:43 am

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Liu Bagua Style Wang Pei Sheng

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:16 am

Hey Bob,

Matey, firstly this is really nice stuff you have posted here. Very interesting. The music is a tad quirky! but thats' kinda cool too. I would like to know more about this gentleman.

Secondly, I must express my appreciation for your continued posting of some really good examples of bagua. You obviously have a great love for the art ( of which I share) which is evidenced by your endless contributions to this board. I just felt it important to thank you and applaud your efforts in bringing us more exposure to this great art.

So in appreciation and gratitude for your generous and highly appreciated sharing.................................I declare this
International BOB Appreciation Day

Thank You ;D
Last edited by Walk the Torque on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:22 am

We have this set in our Cheng style, but it was modified by Cheng You Xin.
I only know the first four roads though.
When I have learned the rest, maybe I will post it for comparison.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:38 am

Walk the Torque:

Thank you for the very kind words, however, my love for bagua is out of a strong sense of appreciation and breaking the idea that "I have the real bagua and everyone else's is watered-down!"

There are a lot of great systems and teachers out there and I truly appreciate them sharing their material.

Wang Peisheng has always been one of my "heros" and I regret not learning his wu form when I had the chance at Jou Tsung Hwa's Taichi Farm---Dave Dolbear was the resident expert there and in 1984 I studied with an old woman in Lexington Kentucky. She taught the Wu style and indeed she was probably in her late 60s or early 70s. She would start the class by unrolling her scroll or bamboo scroll and laying it on the table. I was so young into the art and was full of myself---I had learned the sequence of Yang Cheng Fu's form and compared everything to that---I thought her stuff was bullshit and looking back I missed a great opportunity to learn something. No appreciation, the folly of being young and arrogant and worse, judgmental.

As one of my late great friends and colleague said, "If I had to, I could learn from a tree!" and he ended by saying, with regard to anything you do, "Pay attention!" LOL

Take care and thanks again for the kind words.
Last edited by Bob on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:46 am

Bob wrote::

Thank you for the very kind words, however, my love for bagua is out of a strong sense of appreciation and breaking the idea that "I have the real bagua and everyone else's is water-down!"

Ha Ha..........thats what makes it such a great art. It has everything, individuality and universal principles. Just like humans really. ;D

Have a great day mate
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:15 am

Bob wrote:http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNyddo4Hx8&feature=related

What a loss!

Bob,

Wow, that was fast. We just found this only a few of months ago on an obscure Chinese video site, and now it's on Youtube already :)

This was recorded in the early to mid 80's in Guangxi province. Master Wang was there many times by invitation of Bi Yuanda. Master Bi was Wu Xiufeng's close-door disciple. When Master Bi met Master Wang in the late 70's, he wanted to be Master Wang's disciple. Master Wang said no, since Master Wang learned Baji Quan from Wu Xiufeng (but not as formal disciple), he and Bi should technically be brothers, but that he would teach Bi anything he wants.

Master Bi, second on the left, 2005.

Master Bi was the head of police for the entire Guangxi province. So he was an extremely powerful figure there. This is how he was able to have access to video cameras at a time when you cannot buy a video tape even if you have the money.

Master Bi has a large and very dedicated group of martial art students. Guangxi was like Cang Zhou at that time, if you're a martial artist passing there, and you publicly call yourself a master, you will be challenged and have to have real fights with those guys. You can't avoid it. Since all his students were police, and they all eagerly practiced their skills against street criminals, it was pretty crazy. Many well-known teachers today (with tons of vcd's and books) suffered defeats there.

Master Bi's Baji was both very powerful and refined. My one uncle who was a famous street fighter in Beijing still recalls being beat by him on their first meeting. Master Bi showed him how pressure point striking was really done in real fighting: upon first physical contact, he would "anchor" with part of his arm, and with that reference point he can then immediately locate and strike any pressure point within immediate reaching distance of that arm. My uncle got hit by a totally unexpected elbow strike to a pressure point on the inside of his one leg. Afterwards he said he felt like he got electrocuted. At the time he had no idea Baji elbow could be used that way.

This video was shot when Master Wang was still at his physical peak, so it's incredibly valuable. Thanks Bob and Ash.

Wuyizidi
Last edited by Wuyizidi on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 14 times in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:17 am

Walk the Torque wrote:I would like to know more about this gentleman.

Here's a brief bio of him: http://www.ycgf.org/WPS_Eulogy/WPS_Eulogy.html

Wuyizidi
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:15 am

And thank you Wuyizidi.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby josh on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:20 am

通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:42 am

josh wrote:http://emptyflower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106

i decided to merge the two topics, just to see how it works.

interesting. very interesting...
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Re: Wang, Pei Shing linear bagua...

Postby Bob on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Ashe, I would not have posted the clip if I had caught your earlier post.

Walk the Torque, I gotta give up my fame and glory and redirec your words to Ashe! LOL
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:50 pm

Yeah I just picked up on that! I must have clicked on page 2 and thought it was you. What I said still stands though. Of course I am grateful to Ashe for this one too. From reading his bio it appears that this guy was really talanted and quite a deep thinker. Very cool. Great inspiration.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:20 pm

josh wrote:Ed, I have a book on this set written by one of Wang Peisheng's students, and I noticed when I read it that their version is much more elaborate than the version that I learned (which is quite close to the way the set is done in the Liang style lineages that I've seen). The names of techniques are all the same, and the techniques are still recognizable, but in Wang's version many of the techniques seem to be much more complicated or contain additional movements compared to other versions.

Is the book you read called Bagua Sanshou Zhang by Zhang Yaozhong? He is a retired military officer, able to follow Master Wang around practically full time. His nickname within the group is Mr. Recorder, because he basically recorded everything Mr. Wang said, down to the word.

Whose Liang style did you see? Today Zhang Xianliang seem to monopolized that market on the mainland. He learned Liu Shi Ba Fa with Master Wang.

Mr. Wang's demos can look very different depending on when it was shot and the context. Here he's demonstrating within the group, so he's not leaving much out. But up until 90's, when outside with general public, a lot of time he holds back. In the 90's he went the other direction, even if you are a beginner, he showed you everything, even if it's more than you could absorb. And of course from the late 90's on, because of age he slowed down, so his practice is more free form, following the feeling he's experiencing at the moment. So if you look at that you may wonder, hey, how come his movements are not standard, why so casual?

Wuyizidi
Last edited by Wuyizidi on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby josh on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Yes, I just checked, the book that I was referring to is Zhang Yaozhong's.
As for the Liang style version... I have seen several versions, one is Zhang Quanliang, the other was a different student of Li Ziming whose name I can't remember.
I learned the 64 shou from Liu Jingru, I believe he got it from one of Guo Gumin's students, so it is very similar to what Gao Jiwu shows.
Last edited by josh on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:01 pm

Bob wrote:Ashe, I would not have posted the clip if I had caught your earlier post.

Walk the Torque, I gotta give up my fame and glory and redirec your words to Ashe! LOL

t'aint nuthin but a thang. i just wanted to see how the 'merge thread' function worked is all.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links