Guo Shi Lei on attacking angles

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Guo Shi Lei on attacking angles

Postby Josealb on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:49 pm

2:32 "Attacking Head-On is silly.....unless...." -bow-

Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Re: Guo Shi Lei on attacking angles

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm

I have watched his work on Youtube with interest, Dude is good :), footwork and speed is one way to establish control, but first strike tells the tale, if you are able to block, deflect or parry , that contact is you line of communication as to his next move, "no your opponent".
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Strange on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:21 am

i think this is the correct way to demo, meaning partners must stand one kick distance apart. otherwise it is just not realistic for me.

of course its different school of thought and we do not know at what level the students are, but for me i would have taught frontal straight line entering and attacking first before going into entering using angles.

this demo also stresses the importance of not hesitating and moving as your opponent move, or hou fa xian zhi. if not you will be in the control of the opponent. this should be understood separately from if you attack and your opponent is able to do a side step; in this case, usually your opponent would be of higher skill and it is very difficult to counter the attack.

for xy, the basic principle is 硬打拧进无遮拦 form of direct attack, but that is not to say that it does not have side steps, for example pao and tiger are side stepping forms.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 am

Jose is doingwell with clips these days!

Everything he's doing looks like xy footwork to me, not just the head on bit. 8-)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:06 am

i generally like this guy.
however his choice of angles is not good any half decent fighter would adjust his alignment and clean him up on the way in.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby hamid on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:17 am

attacking angles

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

attacking angles?

http://hamid160.skyrock.com/
hamid
Anjing

Postby Josealb on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:03 am

The thing about going in straight, is that it only looks straight. Its just a really small angle, an ever so slight curve, just the amount needed and nothing else. And the problem with that is that it takes skill, like Mr. Guo implies in the clip. It gets even harder when the other person has a weight advantage.

Its also closely related to Yi. If one does not have the necessary intent, one really does not have the guts be that direct. ;)
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby hamid on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:19 am

It is very important to ask the front foot to the right place before attacking.

http://hamid160.skyrock.com/
hamid
Anjing

Postby yusuf on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:29 am

wow good movmemnt, but did you notice when the student figured out the correct response (which is turning your body to face the attack) he reverted back to attacking straight (i think it was around 1.35-145) ..
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:41 am

hamid wrote:It is very important to ask the front foot to the right place before attacking.

Yes! i usually ask the front foot, but sometimes it doesnt answer.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby eastpaw on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:38 am

Huh. Looks like I was too late. Posted a link to the 5 clips I uploaded yesterday in another thread before I noticed this one.

Anyway, I'm the poor guy being demonstrated on by GSL. I'll be the first to admit my skill level isn't that great. On the other hand, I've trained with/still practise with a Thailand-based pro MT guy, a famous FMA teacher, BJJ instructors, etc. - many of them excellent fighters who could/can easily kick my ass - and GSL still impresses the heck out of me. With GSL, I feel like I don't even have the slimmest of chances.

Incidentally, in the clip, I was trying to imitate a kickboxing stance, so don't pick apart the posture, ok? :)

Josealb:

I hear ya on the only-appears-straight bit. (Some background: I did about 5 years of Shanxi Xingyi earlier this decade and loved to spar.) I'd actually asked GSL about the small-angle thing, and his response was that one would still need a greater amount of power to prevail. It would explain why Xingyi is so power-crazy.

Also, completely agree on the yi comment. I stopped practising Xingyi about 4 years back and now I can't pull off any Xingyi move effectively. Just don't have the right mindset/guts anymore!

yusuf:

It really wasn't a matter of figuring out the right response. :) It was more that he was so fast and deceptive I could not track him in time. Simultaneously, his attacking intent was so powerful that it literally made the hair on my neck stand. The moment I realised he had moved, all I could do was cover up and pray. This probably says almost as much about my lack of skill as it does about his superiority, of course. But still.
eastpaw
Anjing

Postby Josealb on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:44 am

eastpaw wrote:The moment I realised he had moved, all I could do was cover up and pray. This probably says almost as much about my lack of skill as it does about his superiority, of course. But still.

Woa...now there's an impression worth aiming for, to be able to do that to someone. :D
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:51 am

It is the essence of intent you spoke of earlier Jose, it is "The Dragon taking the heart of the Warrior" ;D
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:11 pm

No, I was just offering up some of my own stuff, "In every Warrior is the heart of a Dragon, In the heart of a Dragon is every warrior", ...taking the heart of a warrior
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:18 pm

I like him, but his apps a re too black and white "beng is an upward slanting attack"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKxtADV ... re=related
True in this app. but if you come over the top in response, it is a downward slanting attack straight into his center, and control, another beng, a heng or a Zuan in wait.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links