6 Harmony Mantis Liang Yi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

6 Harmony Mantis Liang Yi

Postby Bob on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:51 am

Bob
Great Old One

Re: 6 Harmony Mantis Liang Yi

Postby Craig on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:51 am

i like mantis! been studying the form i know recently a bit, its lots of fun. very hard but very applicable. who is this performer?
Craig
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 am

I think they are out of Barcelona. Any word on these cats? Not bad at all! From their flavor I am going to guess they are students of Liu Jing Ru, but I stand to be corrected.
Thanks
Jake -joint-
JAB

Postby kreese on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:23 am

Liu Jing Ru teaches mantis? Is he the bagua/xingyi guy? Or are you saying that they do bagua/xingyi as well?

I see some mad pi quan as well as other elements in these mantis forms. What are liuhe tang lang's influences?
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby lars on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:53 am

Really nice. I wish I has known about these guys when I lived in Barcelona... In our pakua we have some mantis forms I really enjoy, but we dont really go into depth, as we use them mainly for basics.
lars
Anjing

Postby JAB on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 am

Lars
Are you one of Park's students?

Kreese,
Yeah, he is lesser known for it, but teaches Liuhe Tanglang. Many similarities between XY and Liuhe. It is said that somewhere in the annals of history that there has been an exchange of info between Dai Family Xin Yi and Liuhe Tanglang. I cannot find anything in English, and have not found much in Chinese, though I am limited to what I can find. I have tried to inquire with some Dai folks in the past about this, but no one seemed interested in sharing what they deemed "secrets" to me, an outsider. So I pretty much gave up on trying to connect dots.

Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby Bob on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:30 pm

April 21, 2008 (Less info)
Kong Cheng, Liu Jingru's student, performs Liuhe tanglang Shuang Feng in Lucca, Italy, 2005
[I got relatives in Lucca I have never met---Bartolozzi and Grill! LOL]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1otQBF ... re=related

_________________________________________________________________________________
Jake, Liang Yi does a lot Wu Tan material but I can't be sure it is from Liu Yun Qiao's brother Zhang Xiang San.

For comparison's sake here is the Liuhe Duan Chui I know--pretty close in flavor and postures---we try to run it smoother and more flowing with less expression of power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iz6ouSD ... re=related

compare to:

The Liuhe Tanglangquan form 'Duan Chui' [Short Strikes] performed by Liu Jingru in 1992, taken by Loriano Belluomini, a martial arts expert who studied with Grandmaster Liu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BOO3lwL ... re=related

Last edited by Bob on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:55 pm

I've read in Chinese books and magazines that there had been interaction between Dai Xinyi founder and a mantis expert. I am not sure whether the mantis expert is from the Liuhe school. If memory serves me right, he was a seven star/plum flower mantis guy.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Bob wrote:April 21, 2008 (Less info)
Kong Cheng, Liu Jingru's student, performs Liuhe tanglang Shuang Feng in Lucca, Italy, 2005
[I got relatives in Lucca I have never met---Bartolozzi and Grill! LOL]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1otQBF ... re=related

_________________________________________________________________________________
Jake, Liang Yi does a lot Wu Tan material but I can't be sure it is from Liu Yun Qiao's brother Zhang Xiang San.

For comparison's sake here is the Liuhe Duan Chui I know--pretty close in flavor and postures---we try to run it smoother and more flowing with less expression of power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iz6ouSD ... re=related

Wow, is there a Taiji-Tanglang connection ? I don't only mean the Taiji Opening. In the second clip there are some movements that are basically the same as in my Taiji. In particular "Curve Bow to Shoot the Tiger" and "Hit Ears with Fists".

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby lars on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Jake,
Yes, or rather, I am a student of Jacopo Silicani (Italy), whom is a lineage disciple of Parks... So Park is my Shiye.
Cheers
lars
Anjing

Postby JAB on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:53 pm

CJ
That is whom I speak of. He was Liuhe. Any info?

Thanks Bob! I would say via viewing his flavor he has NOT picked this Liuhe up from Wutang, but they were such short clips!! Either way I appreciate the sharing!
Jake
JAB

Postby Guo Bao-Lo on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:27 am

Jake,

I think he might have learned his liu he from Adam Hsu...i could be wrong. But didn't Liang Yi use to post here? It would be nice to see the source of his liu he. Great clips btw!

---paolo
Guo Bao-Lo
Santi

Postby Bob on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:50 am

Paolo:

You are correct, Liang Yi used to post here and I am hoping he will answer some time.

Here is his website:

http://es.geocities.com/escuelaliangyi/

You can see his teacher with Liu but Jake might be right. He also has learned material outside of the wu tan curriculum, e.g. Chen taijiquan.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:03 am

Interestin'.

This is the rummest version of TangLang I have seen:The first clips look almost totally like Tongbei, with a touch of HsingI.

I recall some nice, close-in apps clips out of Hong Kong (they are up on the Tube somewhere) where the master is demoing what (I thought was) clearly HsingI but when I read the description - no! It was Tanglang!

Interested to read that this master also has some Chen Taiji in his DNA - I can't quite put my finger on what it was - quality of movement rather than technique per se, I suppose - but the clip of him in the blue PJs roared "Chen" to me.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:03 am

He may have learned from Hsu, but overall the Liuhe I have seen from Wutan is drastically different than mainland. Not better or worse, just has a different flavor and focus. I have seen a bit of Liu Jing Ru's, and this rythm and flavor reminds me more of Liu's. That is just my observation.

Andy,
What do you mean by rummest?
As most of you know I train Xing Yi with Tim Cartmell, and Martin LaPlatney, and Mantis with Hu Xi Lin. Hu Laoshi and I have had many, many conversations about the similarities of Xing Yi and Liuhe. I see so many similar things it is not even funny! Closer IMO even then Baji to XY.

A lot of emphasis on Pi. Correct alignment, posture etc. Footwork is basically the same. You can find all five elements within Liuhe.
Cheers
Jake
JAB

Next

Return to Video Links