Ba Ji stepping

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ba Ji stepping

Postby SPJ on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O00_LlaO ... re=related

1. Usually, we want to practice on earth/dirt ground.

concrete or hard floor may not be good or ideal.

2. This practitioner designed and wore a pair of special shoes, presumably with more frictions to stop his forward thrusting power.

--
SPJ
Wuji

Re: Ba Ji stepping

Postby SPJ on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:49 am

In general; 2 types of duo jiao:

1. duo zhi jiao, we move down our foot, when 2 inches near the ground, we land the foot.

2. nian duo, grinding, we land front sole first, and turn on front sole then land our heel.

In the beginning, we practice slowly and land softly on a soft ground. just to get the rest and the whold body structure correct first.

3. Chuan Bu

we land one foot near the other and then move/jump forward with the lead foot. There are more foward thrusting power. This sometimes, we modify into 2 stages of practice.

anyhoo, we would rely on the front soles to land first and then heels to stop ourself. as pointed out, if we do not do everything right, we hurt our knee or waist in doing all of the three above.

---
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:51 am

SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:53 am

There are more stepping methods and variations.

Just to mention most important 3 to start some discussions.

--

;)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Dillon on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:26 am

Chuan bu is one of my favorite aspects of baji. I feel like it really gives the following technique an extra jolt of power at a short range. Very explosive.
Dillon
Santi

Postby nianfong on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 am

nice basics. even sliding around, the guy's stances held well.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Shenquan on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:34 pm

SPJ, there's something I'd like to ask you. From what you know, are "duo zhi jiao" and "nian duo jiao" simply two different methods tought according to each school's preferences or are they two different levels of duo jiao?
Thanks
Shenquan
Santi

Postby cotton boxer on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:12 pm

thx. for posting this
i'll ask some questions . i have noticed that baji seems to be quite defined as to how they deliver power to the ground in there foot work. How does this play out in baji's use of fajin specifically as told to you by your sifu/master ?

i have paid attention to Tony Yangs site and some others in this regard , so i guess i'm trying to assemble various parts so as to come to a method that's common to all/most styles of baji concerning the Fajin methods !

thanks alot .
cotton boxer
Santi

Postby SPJ on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:23 pm

Shenquan wrote:SPJ, there's something I'd like to ask you. From what you know, are "duo zhi jiao" and "nian duo jiao" simply two different methods tought according to each school's preferences or are they two different levels of duo jiao?
Thanks

In general, duo zhi jiao or just duo jiao means that we land our whole foot flatly.

and nian duo we may land the front sole first, then turn the front sole and land the heel lastly.

or we may have our foot on the ground already; just raise the heel and land the heel. (this is called deng and then ta)

or we may have our foot on the ground already, then raise the heel, turn on front sole and land the heel etc. (this is also considered as nian duo).

so yes, they are 2 different methods.

they may also be considered just variations of duo jiao.

:)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

cotton boxer wrote:thx. for posting this
i'll ask some questions . i have noticed that baji seems to be quite defined as to how they deliver power to the ground in there foot work. How does this play out in baji's use of fajin specifically as told to you by your sifu/master ?

i have paid attention to Tony Yangs site and some others in this regard , so i guess i'm trying to assemble various parts so as to come to a method that's common to all/most styles of baji concerning the Fajin methods !

thanks alot .

Many long time ba ji players in this forum, they are welcome to chime in anytime.

In theory, the power started from the waist or dan tian, and suddenly exploding outward toward 4 limbs. so when you see the power from the feet hitting/landing on the ground, there are also the same level of power expressing on the fist/palm/hand.

Along the same idea, the level of power on the knees would be the same on the elbows, the level of power on the hip would be the same with the shoulder etc.

This is happening toward the end of posture/move.

But in the beginning of a posture, we do start off from the feet, and use counter energy from the ground to start our move forward. So the power from the ground, via feet to lauch the forward thrusting power from the whole body moving forward. Most of the power/energy is from the ground.

I just briefly described the inital phase/starting and the final/ending phase.

There are also transitional phases. I guess it is dependent on what posture and function of a said posture.

there are 6 big way of opening the door or liu da kai.

they are also 6 types of power issuing or expressions.

1. Ding (pushing forward and upward)

2. Bao (enclose) 2 arms coming together.

3. Ti (rise) move up your feet, knee and fist

4. Dan or shan (single or fan)

5. Kua (hip)

6. Chan (entanglement) or silk reeling.

---
Last edited by SPJ on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Over all

the downward sinking power or xia chen jin or chen zhui jin is very much emphasized in all moves/postures.

SPJ
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:57 am

SPJ, when you say "duo jiao" do you mean 剁?
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Shenquan on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:29 am

Thank you SPJ for answering me. If I'm not wrong the right character for duo should be 跺
Shenquan
Santi

Postby Dillon on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:04 pm

SPJ, I have an odd question (other baji people can chime in, of course). I'm familiar with the six openings, but we also practice a set we call six big openings (liudakai, as you said above). If you're familiar with this set, can I get your input on which parts of the set are emphasizing each opening you describe above? I've learned the set and the applications, but I haven't gone over the specific theory of the liudakai as they relate to the set itself (that is, we focus on being able to perform the techniques and then apply them long before we ever learn what they're called; practice first and theory later). It's just a quirky interest I have, in seeing if or how the set expresses each type of opening.
Dillon
Santi

Postby SPJ on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:37 pm

http://hi.baidu.com/%D5%C5%C0%BD%CC%EC/ ... 2720c.html

1. Tie Shan Zhang/kao (contact mountain/body kao)

start with presenting elbow (figure 1), liao yin zhang (groin hitting palm) (figure 2), big entanglement (da chan) (figure 3,4,5), tie shan kao (figure 6), repeat da chan and tie shan kao 2 more times, end with liao yin zhang.

2. Chan Si Beng (small entanglement and crushing fist)

start with liao yin zhang (groin hitting palm) (figure 1), small entanglement (rotating around the wrist) (figure 2), crushing fist or beng (figure 4).

3. Meng Hu Yin Pa Shan (fierce tiger climbing the mountain)

4. Ta Zhang (stepping palm)

5. Lan Chui (intercepting fist)

6. Hu Pu (tiger jumping)

do you mean this particular set?

SPJ
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links