Peng, Lu Ji An usage

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Peng, Lu Ji An usage

Postby internalenthusiast on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:18 pm

hi chicagoTaiJi,

along with others, i'm a bit confused as to what your point or objection is.

with due respect, i'm honestly not sure if you are posting material to be honestly discussed, or whether you are trolling. it has seemed to some that you are trolling.

i think a lot of good points have been made here by people commenting. i think su dong chen's teaching is partly about getting people to think below the surface. about the potentials of direction and intention inherent in movement, and tactics. rather than accepting a singular, or "rote" use of a form or movement.

the "high peng", or whatever you want to call it (that you seem to object to), is however also quite common in bagua, mantis, etc. if it's blocked, as in the demo, you can take advantage of that, either directly by changing upon that block, or indirectly by changing your attack, which is what he shows in the clip.

it's not an uncommon move, imo. one can find it in various arts. given this i was surprised by your objection. and, honestly, i can't understand it.

on his use of peng. no it doesn't demand a step. as someone said: sometimes you can't see everything from exterior movement.

i can say this: having met him, studied with him for a short time, and having been hit (and thrown) by him a bit (not full power--not necessary): if you doubt what he's doing, i'd suggest you taste.

his understanding of the classics (of all three arts) is, imo, quite sophisticated.

he does have his own interpretations of some things, and is not an echo of lots of other people. so, yes, what he does doesn't look like what some other people do.

but, for someone to dismiss him out of hand, is beyond my comprehension.

you've limited yourself to comments on his peng clip. do you have comments on lu, ji, and an?

this is not meant as hostile. i think a lot of us are wondering how to respond to you, and are trying to in the best way.

best...
internalenthusiast
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:You don't use a "peng jin". Peng is a technique, peng jin is a quality your body has. As for me personally I don't think about using peng or any other taiji technique when I spar. I just spar and the techniques come out on their own.

actually, peng is just a jin. but it doesn't have to be a gentle expanding. it can also be explosive expanding. like the slaps that su does.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:31 pm

chicago taiji,

you're understanding of taiji is flawed, but you will hopefully learn that with time.

internal power is not necessarily easily visible whole body power. if you have a wave up your spine with your dan tian, going to your hands, or an expansion of the spine and ribs up to the hands, that is still proper expression of taiji. you can see mr. su do this if you look very very very closely, but more likely you'd have to see him in person. if you know what to look for, you can see the evidence of it when he moves.

--

Now. Chicagotaiji. you need to learn to listen. if you don't listen to what people tell you and ask you, and don't respond to their valid questions, you are only inciting emotional reaction in others. this is trolling. you are trolling right now. consider this your first and perhaps last warning. if you continue this way, you will be banned.

if you understand the taiji language, peng and lu are the two fundamental "jin" of taiji. expanding, and yielding. in the discussions in this forum, you are not yielding. and if you've read any taoist thought, you will understand that the fate of those that are unyielding is to be broken.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:23 pm

The moderator contacted me directly and asked me to respond to this thread.

If anyone would like to meet me in person we can continue this conversation.

Until then I have noted your feelings regarding what I said and I have nothing to add.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Josealb on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:50 pm

hmm..nothing to add usually means one thing.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

In my book willingness to meet in person to compare notes absolves people from most online forum posting sins. 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:07 pm

agreed.

if it is a candid conversation or exchange of viewpoints, we mean what we say or we say what we mean--

then it is worthwhile for everyone's time.

either on the net or in person.

8-) ;) :)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby kreese on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:53 am

cop out
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links