Red Lightning Bagua Sword

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Red Lightning Bagua Sword

Postby Bob on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:07 am

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=K2tR0BqR3 ... re=related

Don't know anything about the school or the teacher but I like what I see.
Bob
Great Old One

Re: Red Lightning Bagua Sword

Postby TaoBoxer on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:59 pm

I saw their Iron Palm DVD and a Ba Gua dvd. It was.... umm......

Lewitt
Never go full retard
TaoBoxer
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 pm

looks like if that sword were sharp he might just cut himself. a lot. he's handling it more like a dao.
when I first learned taiji, my teacher told me the first rule of the jian is to never ever cut yourself with it. always keep your off hand either as far away from the edge as possible, or as close to the grip as possible. and usually when you swing it around you circle-like, you keep it as far from your body as possible.

dao on the other hand is a lot more friendly, and can be more close range.
Last edited by nianfong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:26 pm

Well I wouldn't get on a greyhound with him anyway.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Bagua folks often use the jian much like a dao (刀劍不分) - see videos of Sun Jianyun, etc.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:42 pm

really? but he looks dangerously close to cutting himself with that sword a lot. I don't think that makes sense. a 2-edged blade is a completely different beast from a single edged blade. there are certain fundamental practicalities that transcend style.
Last edited by nianfong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:46 pm

I guess you just have to make sure you have "super-gong" first, to make sure that your sword doesn't cut you while you leave it so close to your body? Of course, even in bagua, you don't ever try to support the sword blade with your hand...

(As an aside, never heard of "red lightning sword," but who knows...)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:48 pm

no I think it's just dumb the way his sword is moving so close to his own rib cage. someone knocks his sword at that instant, and he cuts his own rib muscles. look at 1:25 to the end, and see how he flourishes his jian. he's gonna cut his own arm, hand, ribs, lats, and sometimes even his own hair.
no gong is strong enough to prevent that.

note his "guard" like position where his sword is like 6 inches from his belly. that's quite a dangerous position to hold a 2 edged sword.

if it was a dao, those motions would be a non-issue.
Last edited by nianfong on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:48 pm

Oh, okay. (I watched the video last night, but I don't remember it so well now, so maybe you are right.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby count on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:09 am

edededed wrote:I guess you just have to make sure you have "super-gong" first, to make sure that your sword doesn't cut you while you leave it so close to your body? Of course, even in bagua, you don't ever try to support the sword blade with your hand...

(As an aside, never heard of "red lightning sword," but who knows...)

hmmm :-\

Maybe mountain should be shan instead of lightning shan. Red Mountain (Known for the red sand of the mountain due to the rich iron.) swords or Kun Wu Jian is the trademark of our blades/jians.

Ya, who knows, my Chinese language skills suck.

I like the guy too. Can't tell much from him just showing some movement and dancing around a bit for the camera. I didn't see much that was uncharacteristic of bagua or jian movement except for distinctively shaolin like stances. The guy has a huge background in JMA too. Lot's of influences there.
Last edited by count on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby count on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:17 am

I actually just read this at his website and it sheds more clues of the names of his forms.

DRAGON GATE SANCTUARY SEPIA SERIES DVDS
(NEW PRIVATE RELEASES)
Until recently, this set was sold only to seminar students

VAJRA PUSH HANDS (real 'closed door' Bagua push hands)
Jing gang tui shou, possibly the oldest and most meaningful form of push hands and its easy to see why. Physical skill, emotional and mental balance, spiritual development, taoist shamanism and magnetic and electrical qigong meanings. You will quickly realize why this was only reserved for the closed door students. Sticking, rolling, striking, circle walking, elbow striking, spiral, diamond, tui na (joint locks), pressure points.

Kunlun Mountain Bagua Sword set 1
Kunlun kung fu is famous for its formless seemingly free form yet distinct form. This is the sword set to learn if you like Bagua principles and swords. Every move is Bagua and every move is effective in combat. Its one of the most beautiful, spiraling, and enchanting forms.

Kunlun Mountain Bagua Push Hands (Tui Shou) set 1
Patterns of circlewalking with a partner using all the internal and external changes with yin and yang hands as well as understanding and developing very subtle skills unique to bagua. Use of the pole star stepping and center taking. Also first time released to the public.

Bagua Silk Reeling Sword Set
Very close range sword wrapping spiraling around the body in very enticing serpentlike patterns. Drills, 5 element qigong drills, and the unified strength set are taught in a basic and advanced dvd a very unique set and the forst time ever released to the public.

Bagua sword drills for sitting
developing the lower dan tien, for the cutting techniques that slip in and out of the bagua forms. The cutting techniques that counter the normal strokes of the sword and develop the whipping internal palm strikes. This is one of the easiest ways to strengthen the lower dan tien for internal power for whip and deflection as well as develop wrist strength and unified strength.

Tengu Sword of Shorinjin Ryu Saito Ninjutsu
Bagua jade emperors sword system
The classic of the jade emperor in physical form. The circular spiralling techniques of the bagua joining the 8 forces of nature to illustrate the jade emperor's classic. Complete with applications, drills, partner drills...
Never revealed to the public before.

Bagua 13 Elbows form
One of the most beautiful of the Bagua forms, very quick and circular.. There are many elbow forms in the bagua, but not all of them are fluid and circular even spherical. This form is called the red lightning or fire form because of its effect on the energy of the body on kundalini. The nature of this form is very much like lei gung for his mastery of the nagas.

The Vibrating Palms drills of the Snake bagua
For setting up the energetics of the snake bagua for rapid multiple palms with the integrity of internal kung fu. Develops the physical structure of the body to vibrate the tendons. Can improve and form.

Kuji Kiri Kuji In Juji
Mikkyo sorcery and alchemy of the knitting of the fingers. The main 9 mudras of the 387 total of the system. Keys to all sacred knowledge. vedas, chakras, stupas, elements, using the body as an electrical, magnetic, meridian system, understanding the psychic channel systems. Our school is very rare in that we still have the form or kata for the kuji in hand mudras and all the knowledge. also the psychic energy fighting knowledge...

Introductory Videos
1. Vibrating Palm
2. Iron Shirt
3. Eight Energy/Powers set

Purchase Videos on Special this month from Dragon Gate Sanctuary
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:09 am

some awesome xingyi jian:

note how his opposite hand never goes near the sword blade. and note how the sword is always in front of him when it gets anywhere near his own body, so he can see whether it gets too close. never does he threaten to cut his own arm or back.

some chen taiji jian, by chen zheng lei

again, note how the sword is respected on both of its edges, and held away from the body.

sun jian yun looks like she's gonna cut her hands off with this bagua jian too:

but note how sun zhijun keeps the blade away from his own body at most times here, and keeps his opposite hand behind the hilt: (bagua jian also)
Last edited by nianfong on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:19 am

nianfong wrote:my teacher told me the first rule of the jian is to never ever cut yourself with it.

No shit! Did he also tell you not to run with scissors? That's very dangerous too ;D

b.t.w. I agree with you - he's handling it more like a Dao. Maybe he's just using Jian because a Dao wasn't available in the room?

Then of course, there's also the argument that you can use a Jian like that if it's a heavy robust battlefield type one (not so razor sharp), not the extra sharp, bendy, civilian version for dueling, and provided you are wearing armour on your arms and torso.
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:27 am

nianfong wrote:some awesome xingyi jian:

note how his opposite hand never goes near the sword blade. and note how the sword is always in front of him when it gets anywhere near his own body, so he can see whether it gets too close. never does he threaten to cut his own arm or back.

Fong - a serious question for you on a related, but different subject.

If that is "XingYi Jian" why does it bear no resemblance to XingYi in the stances or power usage? I see a lot of Shaolin forward weighted Gong Bu stances, a lot of one legged stances also found in the Northern Shaolin Dragon sword I practice, and such like. Where's the characteristic San Ti starting position? Where is Pi and Beng? etc...?

I'm not saying I don't like it - I think it's actually pretty good, I just see a lot of Shaolin stances and no XingYi.
G
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby count on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:48 am

nianfong wrote:some awesome xingyi jian:

some chen taiji jian, by chen zheng lei

again, note how the sword is respected on both of its edges, and held away from the body.

sun jian yun looks like she's gonna cut her hands off with this bagua jian too:

but note how sun zhijun keeps the blade away from his own body at most times here, and keeps his opposite hand behind the hilt: (bagua jian also)

-woot- -woot- -woot-

This is one of the best montages I have ever seen of jian. All my favorites.

I disagree Graham, The hsing-i guy is clearly demonstrating hsing-i power with crisp, clean sword technique. His 6 harmonies are perfect in every movement. As a teacher, you must see that, even if you couldn't do it yourself.

Jian is the only classical weapon I have ever taken seriously. Most classical weapons training is for show, and the more dangerous it looks to an observer, the more it's emphasized by the performer. The first clip is a happy, modern man, dancing for the people and the camera. He's having fun. So what if his leg is straight in his 70/30 stance, or if he holds the blade at an angle that is unexpected. I'd expect him to get ragged on for his psychic kung fu more than his form around here.

Personally, I don't like to post negative things about clips posted in forums like this. If I don't like it, I just don't post. There is a lot to dis-agree with in the original clip. I only got into this because of the "Red Lightning" sword form. I still think that's a mis-translation, but there is no other form I have seen to compare his with. He probably just made it up for the camera. I think his only real intention was to run the batteries down so that lady would stop taping his class. :P

It's silly to compare the first clip with the 4 masters fong posted. :-X
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links