Red Lightning Bagua Sword

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Red Lightning Bagua Sword

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:21 am

count wrote:I disagree Graham, The hsing-i guy is clearly demonstrating hsing-i power with crisp, clean sword technique. His 6 harmonies are perfect in every movement. As a teacher, you must see that, even if you couldn't do it yourself.

Hi Count,

I agree that he's pretty good - nice and clean, good co-ordination and timing, etc. I'm not debating that.

What I'm really talking about is his stance change to gong bu - bow stance all the time and the general use of what look like pure Shaolin stances to me. What I don't understand is why he's not looking like XingYi anymore just because he's got a sword in his hand?

You have to admit that this performance looks nothing like XingYi done barehand. Or does it look the same to you?

For example:

XingYi done barehand:

G
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby count on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:34 am

GrahamB wrote:
count wrote:I disagree Graham, The hsing-i guy is clearly demonstrating hsing-i power with crisp, clean sword technique. His 6 harmonies are perfect in every movement. As a teacher, you must see that, even if you couldn't do it yourself.

Hi Count,

I agree that he's pretty good - nice and clean, good co-ordination and timing, etc. I'm not debating that.

What I'm really talking about is his stance change to gong bu - bow stance all the time and the general use of what look like pure Shaolin stances to me. What I don't understand is why he's not looking like XingYi anymore just because he's got a sword in his hand?

You have to admit that this performance looks nothing like XingYi done barehand. Or does it look the same to you?

For example:

XingYi done barehand:

G

No I don't admit anything. I wouldn't disagree or say anything is wrong with a great, master sword form. -bow-

I know enough about sword to understand it's a front hand system so forward stances are necessary. Training with weapons restricts you to the design and the physics of the weapon. Bare hand, not so much. Obviously, hsing-i is more conducive to spear than jian. Or did the egg come first? Every single sword technique in his clip is finished off with perfect coordination of the 6 harmonies. so yes, it looks like the bare hand of Lou.

Not worth debating anything here. Anyone with the skills of these four and Lou can say whatever they want. You and I should probably just shut-up. :-X
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:40 am

I guess you're looking for different things than me. You seem to be looking at it as a good example of Jian because it's co-ordinated, etc. I'm saying yes, you're right, but is it a good example of "XingYi jian"?

I was just looking around YouTube and I found this guy doing XingYi Dao. It's interesting to compare this clip to the previous one. It's less flowing, but this at least looks like XingYi to me, rather than something else. Maybe this will help you to see what I mean?

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby count on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:54 am

GrahamB wrote:I guess you're looking for different things than me. You seem to be looking at it as a good example of Jian because it's co-ordinated, etc. I'm saying yes, you're right, but is it a good example of "XingYi jian"?

Well no, I'm saying it's not just a superb example of jian usage, which it is, it is also a superb example of hsing-i because of it's obvious focus and intent to adhere to the 6 harmonies principles. Even if those principle exist in other methods, not all methods even think about them the way they would using hsing-i.

This guy clearly demonstrates his intent, so I would call him a master. I liked the clip you posted and I know where you're coming from about steps. But steps are just transitions and when it comes to issuing power with a jian, yes, your steps should be a bit different.

In a duel, my money is on the first guy with the jian. ;D
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 am

count wrote:In a duel, my money is on the first guy with the jian. ;D

In a duel my money is on the guy from the local bar with a pool cue ;)

I watched chap no.1 again more closely, and he is very good, and one my second watch I noticed more rear-weighted XingYi-like postures than I saw first time through, so essentially I'm wrong :)
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links