Master Wilson Wu (Cheng Baguazhang)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Master Wilson Wu (Cheng Baguazhang)

Postby Leimeng on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:38 pm

~ Moose Drool is good stuff. I pick up a six pack every week or so at Trader Joe's.
~ Fat Weasel is good too. That is my other current favorite.
~ Of course the best beer is free beer, but if I am spending my own hard earned cash, it is the two above.
~ Continue to discus amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)
Leimeng
Huajing

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:40 am

Smuttynose is very good stuff - you would be surprised what kind of selection of beers we have here in the swamp. Next time you are in town make sure you get to the Brickskeller in Washington D.C. - a couple of blocks west of Dupont Circle, in the direction of the Georgetown bridge. There are also a couple of stores that sell nothing but beer - big selections (oddly enough though, one of the best stores of that type was one in Henrietta, New York, near Rochester. Got me through the dreadful winters while I was doing my residency).

Porter was my dad's beer of choice (the English side of the family there). My first knowledge of beer was porter, stout, and bock. The first time I tasted a typical American lager, I was in shock - I couldn't believe that was what people called beer. Later, living in Taiwan and serving in Vietnam, I got used to drinking all kinds of crap - and the PX only carried Bud and Miller.

The worst I've had - Iron City, Tree Frog (no, really) and some other cheap brews in Buffalo.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:44 am

I remember going to the "liquour barn" in CA and seeing the cans of generic beer they had in the white label with black writing saying "beer" and right next to it the same thing only the black lettering said "cerveza".

Didn't try em, but the mind boggles.

S- off to make cupcakes for his 5 year olds bday party.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Montreal has some very good microbreweries.

Wilson Wu and Sun ZhiJun: Sun ZhiJun is great! He moves amazingly for his age and he knows how to fight with his art. The unfortunate thing is that he doesn't teach new students. Wilson Wu is likely very good too. There are other Cheng style teachers in Canada who have equally good lineages (I believe there is a guy in Vancouver named Yang Guotai and there is also some other guy, I think he's from somewhere in the north of China, currently living in Montreal, but his name escapes me at the moment ;D ).
The best thing to do would be to come to Canada, check out as many good teachers as you can and make your decision based on the teacher that works best for you.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:01 pm

But if you have enough money to come to Canada, you may as well go straight to Beijing, live off your wealth (for longer than you could in Canada) and study with Liu Jingru or the Yinyang bagua guy (Tian something), or any number of other oldschool bagua guys who are totally awesome.
Just a thought.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby williamwilson666 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:46 am

Thank you all for your advice, though it has now made me want to stop drinking!

What I am really looking for is a viable place to emigrate, and having the very best possible long term gong fu instruction is only a substantial fraction of my considerations. Thought I had may as well post this one more clip of Master Wu performing part of the forms of the many systems he teaches. I thought the bagua and even the external styles (though these are far from may area of expertise) looked extraordinairy!

Last edited by williamwilson666 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby Mephisto on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:42 pm

Tom wrote:I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Sun Zhijun and watching him teach a small group outside of his home in Beijing last September. While I was more interested in his teaching methods and style, I found his hands-on corrections and demonstrations effective with his students. And despite having a back injury and being in his seventies, he moved very fluidly and with very good speed. It wasn't so much that he was blindingly fast, as much as his speed was appropriate to the technique demonstrated . . . very good timing. If Wilson Wu has spent a significant amount of time with Sun Zhijun, he's had the benefit of learning under a good teacher.

I like his philosophy on the website indicating that Wilson Wu "combined practical experience with methodical research to develop the concept of 'Jin' or 'integrated strength' to the many systems that he teaches. "

I haven't trained Chenshi baguazhang in several years, but from what I recall of it and observe here, I think Mr. Wu is pretty good.

The clip above shows Wilson Wu practicing applications on my teacher, Bruce Lin, who also teaches in Vancouver (Burnaby, more specifically).
My understanding is that Lin laoshi is the one who introduced Wilson Wu to Sun Zhijun, though Wu laoshi has been practicing Cheng bagua from other teachers a bit longer overall than Bruce Lin.
In any case, both are excellent teachers and know how to apply their art. Also, despite Wilson Wu's practice of several other styles, my teacher has attested to the purity of his bagua.

Yang Guotai is no longer teaching, from my understanding--or at least he isn't teaching the way he used to. Two of his former students are my senior classmates under Bruce Lin.
Mephisto
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:39 am

Good to know about Yang Guotai throwing in the towel.
I prefer Bruce Lin's videos to Wilson Wu, but thats just me. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Mephisto on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:10 am

After I get my new camera, I hope to convince Lin laoshi to let me record some new clips. Shame he took down the one of him doing our 64 palms. He's really slick.

William, whomever you learn with, if you study under our system I hope you're up for training some serious leg gongfu. ;D
Mephisto
Santi

Postby johnny2008 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:52 pm

Looks like Mr. Wu has put a LOT of time into his arts.
johnny2008
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Mephisto wrote:After I get my new camera, I hope to convince Lin laoshi to let me record some new clips. Shame he took down the one of him doing our 64 palms. He's really slick.

William, whomever you learn with, if you study under our system I hope you're up for training some serious leg gongfu. ;D

He does 64?
I thought Sun Zhijun only had a 24 set.
The 24 has 64 postures that can be practiced as single exercises or as a form.
I didn't know Sun also has a 64 routine.
Interesting.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Mephisto on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:
Mephisto wrote:After I get my new camera, I hope to convince Lin laoshi to let me record some new clips. Shame he took down the one of him doing our 64 palms. He's really slick.

He does 64?
I thought Sun Zhijun only had a 24 set.
The 24 has 64 postures that can be practiced as single exercises or as a form.
I didn't know Sun also has a 64 routine.
Interesting.

Sorry, miscommunication on my part. Our 64 is the 24. We use the terms interchangeably when referring to our set. As far as I know, Sun Zhijun did not inherit Cheng Youxin's 64 palms despite being his disciple. I understand he did not teach it to many.
Last edited by Mephisto on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mephisto
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:19 pm

Oh, cool.
If you can convince Lin Laoshi to throw a video of that on youtube, that would be amazing.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links