Xiao Qing-lin :: Chen Taijiquan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Xiao Qing-lin :: Chen Taijiquan

Postby ppscat on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:20 am

Xiao Qing-lin, one of Chen Fake top disciples, performing a smooth rendition of Er Lu.

http://revver.com/video/135778/master-x ... 0min30sec/
ppscat
Anjing

Re: Xiao Qing-lin :: Chen Taijiquan

Postby Aged Tiger on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:40 am

Very nice, thanks for post. :)

I do have a question though. One thing I notice right away is he "double steps", for lack of a better description, when he makes the longer steps. Can anyone explain why he might do this, or is it just his personal flavor?

Chas
perfect practice is the secret....
Famous Quote: "You Bagua look like wounded duck on butter"
Aged Tiger
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:35 pm

Probably because he lacks the requisite leg strength and flexibility to sink and take longer steps. Which is fine, considering he's probably about 90....
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:49 pm

Yi-lu not er-lu. Unless I am missing something I would have to say that compared to Feng, that is not a terribly impressive performance.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:35 pm

Bhassler wrote:Probably because he lacks the requisite leg strength and flexibility to sink and take longer steps. Which is fine, considering he's probably about 90....

Anyone with regular, long term training experience in the Chen Style Tai-Chi Chuan will normally possess well developed leg strength, since the established standards of performance require longer steps and lower stances than most other styles of Tai-Chi Chuan. -faint-

It is reasonable to expect that this has been true in Master Xiao's training experience as well. Thus, it is more likely to surmise that he may suffer from arthritic pains in his hips, knees, and ankles due to advancing age, or that he experiences some minor disability from past injuries as a cause of his stepping anomalies. From the educated perspective of my clinical eye, he appears to favor his left leg and foot more than the right, although both sides seem to be affected in varying degrees. -hurt-

Imagine, if you can, your own elderly parents, grandparents, aunts, or uncles performing the same routine at the same age as Master Xiao. All things considered, we should all be so fortunate as to be physically capable of performing the demonstrated form set as well as Master Xiao does at his age. 8-) -bow-

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:58 pm

This is actually related to a problem that I have noticed in people who learn Taiji forms from elderly masters -- that the students end up mimicking the teachers' less-than-accurate postures due to advanced age without realizing it .
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:44 am

This is actually related to a problem that I have noticed in people who learn Taiji forms from elderly masters -- that the students end up mimicking the teachers' less-than-accurate postures due to advanced age without realizing it .

This is a big problem in my opinion. When people start i recon they should look like this ....

not this ...

:D

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Return to Video Links