Li Style Taijiquan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Li Style Taijiquan

Postby kreese on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:11 am

YM - thanks for the clarification.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:10 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Yuen-Ming: that was a nice clip you posted.
Any leads on any good li style guys in Shanghai or Beijing (I'll be visiting both areas next spring and I would love to just meet a couple guys to see what they do firsthand).

I know a couple of decent people in Beijing, let me know when you come better by email.
There is a group in Shanghai but, like Ma Jinlong, they do a number of things (too many and not really well) AND Li style.

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:14 am

Thanks very much.
I'll let you know when I'm coming. Likely in Jun 09.
Do you live in Beijing by any chance?
I would love to meet you. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:19 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Thanks very much.
I'll let you know when I'm coming. Likely in Jun 09.
Do you live in Beijing by any chance?
I would love to meet you. :)

I live in HK but spend quite a bit of time in the Mainland.
Do you expect to fly direct to Beijing/Shanghai or stop by here south ?

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:27 am

Not sure yet, since I will be going with my university and they will set up the flight plan.
What I'm likely to do is go to Shanghai for 1 month to study language and then go with them on a trip across China, let them go home and then stay in Beijing for about a month just to check out the culture and see if I want to come back and stay for longer after I graduate (maybe teach English or something). I plan on also going to Japan and HK is a real option too, since I would like to see some of the HK Wu people. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Yuen-Ming on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:38 am

Sounds great.
Do not hesitate to drop me a line when your plans are clear enough.

Best

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:07 am

Will do.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:43 am

Most probably not the same style

"Serge Augier Performing General Li Tai chi"

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums ... hp?t=36922

Ha ... thats my post from 2005!!! I think Serge's old site was still up then

Yeh Serge Augiers system is from General Li Jin Ling AFAIK.

He held a seminar in the UK on some of the Nei gung from the system and fighting methods last November.

Truely bad-ass fighting system .... and i still practice the 8 nei gung every day now ... really good stuff.

Now back to the style of the thread!!! :D

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Jingang on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 pm

I don't do Li style Taiji but I do practice their Wu-long Tong-hua pao (a mix between 5 martial arts) and I know from my teacher that there are people from Li's line who live in a town near Tianjin.

Li ruidong (lived in a town close to Tianjin) practiced the art of Jingang bashi (he later on taught the 8 basic hands to Li shuwen) which is very close to the Jingang bashi we practice. When My teacher met a guy from that town and the guy found out we do similar arts, and that his 8 basic hands where not so clear or were changed in time, he asked Master Zhou to swap martial arts knowledge. Master Zhou agreed to teach him our 8 basic hands and in return learned the Wu-long Tong-hua pao (you can see that jinlong guy doing almost the same form on youtube).

If I wanted to learn this Li style I would look for that town.
Jingang
Anjing

Postby Yuen-Ming on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Jingang wrote:Li ruidong (lived in a town close to Tianjin) practiced the art of Jingang bashi (he later on taught the 8 basic hands to Li shuwen) which is very close to the Jingang bashi we practice. When My teacher met a guy from that town and the guy found out we do similar arts, and that his 8 basic hands where not so clear or were changed in time, he asked Master Zhou to swap martial arts knowledge. Master Zhou agreed to teach him our 8 basic hands and in return learned the Wu-long Tong-hua pao (you can see that jinlong guy doing almost the same form on youtube).

Hello Jingang,

Li Ruidong did not practice "the art of Jingang bashi". LRD studied, among other things, a Shaolin style (called Inner Corridor) that included a number of sets - one of which is the Jinggang Bashi.
He taught THE SET to Li Shuwen (he actually taught the 'liushi' but that's a long story and we don't need to get in there) who included it into his Baji curriculum. Other Baji people of the following generation learned from a gongfu nephew of LRD's master another few sets from the same Shaolin style, so those were also incorporated in various Baji lines.

Best

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Jingang on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55 am

Hi Yuen ming
LRD studied, among other things, a Shaolin style (called Inner Corridor) that included a number of sets - one of which is the Jinggang Bashi.

True. Names are not so important, at least not important as the actual material. Our Jingang bashi was originaly also called Shaolin nei-yuan (inner courtyard) and later on Grandmaster Shi yushan changed it to Jingang bashi. If you have the "5 hammer star Taiji" book by Ma jinlong you can find in page 494 the "5. Jin gang ba shi" songs. "each form has 8 forms = 64 forms".
We have the same 64 form and 64 songs (word by word), only we call them the "64 hard hands". We also have "64 soft hands" and other stuff they don't have.
Last edited by Jingang on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jingang
Anjing

Postby Yuen-Ming on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:45 am

Jingang wrote:True. Names are not so important, at least not important as the actual material. Our Jingang bashi was originaly also called Shaolin nei-yuan (inner courtyard) and later on Grandmaster Shi yushan changed it to Jingang bashi. If you have the "5 hammer star Taiji" book by Ma jinlong you can find in page 494 the "5. Jin gang ba shi" songs. "each form has 8 forms = 64 forms".
We have the same 64 form and 64 songs (word by word), only we call them the "64 hard hands". We also have "64 soft hands" and other stuff they don't have.

Hi,

great to hear from a 'cousin' then :)
Ma's quanpu is only a small fraction of the original manual. ***
And by the way, did you check the 64 songs word-by-word with his version ?
Did you find any different character ? That would be interested to hear because I might be able to give you precise insight about the origin (time) of your version.

YM

*** Li style DO have the 64 roushou
Last edited by Yuen-Ming on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Jingang on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:07 am

I actually never sat and compared the whole songs word by word. I did compare them in general and found them matching. I can tell you for sure that we come from different lines (at least outside of the shaolin). Shi yushan (the head of guo shu guan number 11 in Tianjin) learned it from a shaolin monk.

I've also seen the 8 basic hands and they are similar in general moves but still different.

Do you have any video's of your style?
Jingang
Anjing

Postby Yuen-Ming on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:27 am

Jingang wrote:I actually never sat and compared the whole songs word by word. I did compare them in general and found them matching. I can tell you for sure that we come from different lines (at least outside of the shaolin). Shi yushan (the head of guo shu guan number 11 in Tianjin) learned it from a shaolin monk.

I've also seen the 8 basic hands and they are similar in general moves but still different.

Do you have any video's of your style?

Yes, I have heard of a few groups coming from that same and a second generation Shaolin people.

If you have time compare that song word-by-word and tell me if and which character is different. I have various copies of its quanpu and the oldest is handwritten by Li Ruidong, so it is as close as you can have it to the original source.
Ma Jinlong and various other versions contains a number of mistakes/errors.

I am sorry but I am not allaowed to post a video of Li's Jingang Bashi. The only available on the web from that line, although VERY poorly executed, is at this address:

http://www.56.com/u75/v_MjIxMTc1NDQ.html

which at least should give you an idea of the set.

Best

YM

EDIT: removed the video embedding as it did not show !
Last edited by Yuen-Ming on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Yuen-Ming on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:17 am

Let me try again with this video !

[56]v_MjIxMTc1NDQ[/56]

YM
Last edited by Yuen-Ming on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links