My House BJJ match

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

My House BJJ match

Postby Johnny Drama on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:26 am

Recently had an in house tournament and had a BJJ match.

I'm the one in white-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hL9t4IJVMc

My strategy was to play stand up with him for the first 3 minutes, and then if nothing happened pull guard. My opponent (and friend) is a strength and conditioning coach, and I knew was extremely strong (and aggressive). After 3 minutes, neither one of us had taken the other down (This is about where the vid starts) But, I abandoned my plan to pull guard because his grips were too good and I felt as though I would be passed as soon as I pulled. So, it was more standup with both of us jockeying for position.

After a bit, he finally pulled guard, and I began to pass. I feel very strong in my halfguard pass, and was sure I would pass him. Looking at the video I can see my technical faults, but he also made a perfectly timed bridge and put me into guard. I wanted to work guard there, but I felt he was to strong for me to contain again, and would certainly pas to half guard. Since the match was so close, I didn't want to give him that chance so we did more stand up. Somewhere along the lines I threw an awful shot out of desperation, hoping to gain favor for aggressiveness as I had been playing largely a counter game.

At the end of 6 minutes, OT was called. I was surprised by this, because I thought I had lost 2-0 from him sweeping me while I attempted to pass his half guard. I think I may have gotten take down points somewhere along the lines when he pulled guard and I held onto his pants.

In the end, he stretched me out and triangled me. He had been setting this up as OT was called. Although I could have had better posture, his strength was tremendous in breaking me down. He also was very, very fast with the triangle and caught me offguard with it. Of course in the video I can see him taking his time to set it up, but when it was actually happening I thought I was safe despite my poor posture.

Anyway, what I take away for my own progress is that I need to try more things and work on my posture. Thanks for watching.

Also, my thighs were complete jelly after this match. Standing up with him took such a toll on me. My arms hurt a day later, but my legs were in pain from the start. I was actually proud of this because it meant I was using my leg strength. I wanted to call up David Bond Chan, my old Hsing I teacher and say "Yeah, I lost, but I used my legs the way you told me!".
Last edited by Johnny Drama on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Drama
Santi

Re: My House BJJ match

Postby Josealb on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:12 am

Hey Johnny, before you left your old teacher, did you ever get the discuss ground game with him?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Johnny Drama on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:20 am

Yeah, we talked about it a lot.

He recognized that ground fighting was necessary, especially in this day and age. He spoke highly of the Gracie's at times, and other times he put them down. He had conflicting opinions about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, at times he would speak highly of their principles of leverage and their clinch strategy, and then at other times speak as though the art was worthless.

He would wrestle with me as well. He was extremely strong and could hit very hard with little to no windup room. But, he created groundfighting techniques or strategies that I found inferior to what I learned in jiu jitsu. I found it very lacking to be honest.

A lot of his stand up to ward off wrestling was very good, and very similar to what I am learning now in free style wrestling.
Johnny Drama
Santi

Postby ashe on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:33 am

Johnny Drama wrote:Also, my thighs were complete jelly after this match. Standing up with him took such a toll on me. My arms hurt a day later, but my legs were in pain from the start. I was actually proud of this because it meant I was using my leg strength. I wanted to call up David Bond Chan, my old Hsing I teacher and say "Yeah, I lost, but I used my legs the way you told me!".

that's funny you say that cuz when i saw you attempt that move, i thought you need to improve your deadlift.

but well done, and respex for you mang.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:43 am

One of my favorite triangle escapes (except I lock the the hands in a gable grip and drive my shoulder - it puts me in side control/I don't step over)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-5fplW4 ... re=related
I lost a grappling tournment I should have won, but I got caugt in a shitty trianlgle and did not know how to escape; end result, I got submitted. After that loss I drilled triangle escapes like nothing else and I have not been submitted with a triangle since. You will get better! And get submitted with new stuff ;) .
Last edited by Kurt Robbins on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Josealb on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:56 am

Sounds cool.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Return to Video Links