Master Huang Sheng Shyan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Master Huang Sheng Shyan

Postby iwalkthecircle on Wed May 28, 2008 6:33 am

Taijikid wrote:
iwalkthecircle wrote:What i canNot figure out is how he stands parallel in a normal position and I canNot push or pull him at ALL direction.

Most people think by standing with feet parallel (wuji) is a disadvantage, but in reality its not. Some of the reasons for you to think about it a little bit more:

1) You usually attack him in the forward direction.
2) You cannot get pass his forward center
3) He has more rotational mobility
4) He has not defined his Yin-Yang by taking any other stance

Just think a little more!!

would you care to explain #2 more?

agree with 1, 3, &4
howEver i actually pulled/pushed him in every direction not just the front.
謝奇錚, 鄉人多稱「小謝 」,「阿奇仔」亦以自稱。
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
保定摔角(SC)-- John Wang(王世元), Matt Mollica
高氏八卦掌(Gao BGZ)-- Marcus Brinkman, Luo deXiu (羅德修), Yang yuSen(楊育森)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby iwalkthecircle on Wed May 28, 2008 6:35 am

ppscat wrote:We practice that too, a Wu master taught it to my teacher, though practiced at a fast speed. It's a very interesting training as with feet in parallel you cannot transfer weight back and forth but only to the sides, so you really have to be sung to absorb and deflect punches and pushes, plus you cannot overextend while attacking. :)

thanks that is good info.
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Wed May 28, 2008 7:20 am

hmm, I don't think he can train martial arts actors very well...

anyone have a movie clip of his martial arts?
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Taijikid on Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 am

iwalkthecircle wrote:would you care to explain #2 more?

Yes, most uproot required the attacker step into or pass the center of the person being uprooted. If you are in a sort of bow and arrow stance with one leg forward, yin-yang is defined, your "qua" is open for the other person to step into or pass your center.

If you review the clip again, you will see most of his students front leg are well in front of him and with their knees even further back. There is not much force when your elbow get pass your knee and out of balance.
Last edited by Taijikid on Wed May 28, 2008 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taijikid
Anjing

Postby rakushun on Wed May 28, 2008 11:25 am

Taijikid wrote:Most people think by standing with feet parallel (wuji) is a disadvantage, but in reality its not.

Standing with feet parallel is a disadvantage, unless you're a taijiquan guy. ;D
A skeptic whose eyes were opened.
rakushun
Santi

Postby Taijikid on Wed May 28, 2008 12:45 pm

rakushun wrote:Standing with feet parallel is a disadvantage, unless you're a taijiquan guy. ;D

Na! Have you watched any Western movies. All those cowboys standing with their feet parallel on gun fights ::)
Last edited by Taijikid on Wed May 28, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taijikid
Anjing

Postby Buddy on Wed May 28, 2008 2:24 pm

One of my senior students shoots in santi.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby juz on Thu May 29, 2008 8:52 am

I studied Late Grandmasters white crane under one of his students Wee Kee-Jin for a few years (00-02)..I didn't study the tc as I was already studying Chen. The students might well be compliant in the demos, but Gms student Jin is half my size and had definite skill...the most refined and elusive skill I have yet to encounter...although another on EF disagrees with me on Master Jin's skill...
apart from effortless redirection of my force into emptiness the one time he did express force my whole right shoulder went into a massive spasm, my lat muscle was fucking agony. Jin was mortified and made sure I was okay.

So did the Late Gm have great skill? Yes..
Did the students cooperate? unfortunately yes...
Can they "have-it"..? I'd have to say yes...I'm no fan-boy...

believe me or not...doesn't matter...but I wish I had regular access to people of that skill-level..
What I really need right now is a montage....
juz
Anjing

Postby ashe on Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 am

iwalkthecircle wrote:
somatai wrote:what changed your mind.....i think he has the goods myself

i met his grand grand student.....

he had me doing the same type of falls/flying plus more while standing in a normal stance (not bow arrow stance, just two feet parallel at shoulder width.)

who was not in gongbu? you or him?
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Thu May 29, 2008 9:58 am

Taijikid wrote:4) He has not defined his Yin-Yang by taking any other stance
Just think a little more!!

yin/yang is in the body. there's still front and back, top and bottom, etc.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby rakushun on Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 am

The grand, grand student was the one not in bow arrow stance.
A skeptic whose eyes were opened.
rakushun
Santi

Postby Taijikid on Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 am

ashe wrote:yin/yang is in the body. there's still front and back, top and bottom, etc.

Yes yin/yang is in the body. But does your opponent know that?
Look at your own avatar. You are close to neutral to an observer except the stare ;) .
Taijikid
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 am

rakushun wrote:shawnsegler's is right in advising it's best to feel for oneself.

I agree, but the problem is finding someone who can and will. I keep hearing and hearing and hearing story after story after story, but somehow in person I haven't felt anything like that, e.g. from Sam Tam and similar folks. And IME everyone who is telling these first-hand-experience stories (by their own admission) don't have enough skill to reproduce any of them on their own. That includes some of the more well-known folks like Rick Barrett, etc.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Thu May 29, 2008 1:11 pm

From my own experience, the kinds of skills shown in this clip and others like it, will NOT (for the most part) be reproduced on someone who walks in off the street and hasn't worked regularly with the teacher in question. [i know what you're thinking here] But, that doesn't mean the skill isn't valid, or isn't applicable; it's more about degrees of manifestation within the overall training (specifically, in this case, emitting power/discharging/repelling, etc.). This is where there is so much misunderstanding imo. For someone to walk in off the street, and feel what the students in the clip feel is more or less not going to happen! The sensitivity and power skills should still be there, but manifested in different ways depending on the skills of the people involved, which logically means the reactions would be very different than what we see in these clips.

The longer a teacher works with the same people regularly, the more sensitive both parties become to each other. The way I see it, that is the whole point; working with the same people, so each person can discover the skills of listening, power, and balance. Since every person feels different, each partner learns to feel something new/different from the partners they work with. The manifestion of these acquired skills in a non-cooperative manner, is a much more difficult and time consuming goal I'm sure, but I honestly don't believe you can get "there" until you do the cooperative work first (like is shown in the clip). Imo, until we truly loosen and open our body, we can not feel as much as we need to feel to truly understand the skills of listening and using energy. Of course, I understand not everyone sees TCC the same way, so to each his own.

I'm no master, but even I have seen this to be true when I start pushing with newbies; at first, they are stiff (filled with tension, no structure, and not opened like they need to be) and they feel very little except that they are being pushed or knocked off balance, etc. After pushing with them for a while, and they have learned to let go of a lot of their tensions, ego, etc., their reactions become more receptive to the output being utilized. This is my experience anyway. FWIW.
Last edited by steelincotton on Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby iwalkthecircle on Fri May 30, 2008 1:04 am

rakushun wrote:The grand, grand student was the one not in bow arrow stance.

thnx for translating my chinglish.
臺灣臺南人,初學八卦掌, 後學保定摔角 皆在美國
(臺灣或曰福爾摩沙,蓋葡萄牙文美麗島之意也)
iwalkthecircle
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links