Mike Kaniewski: Pi Quan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Mike Kaniewski: Pi Quan

Postby williamwilson666 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:16 am

Here is a clip of Mike Kaniewski- Alex Kozma's main UK student, performing Pi Quan. Was lucky enough to train under Mike for a while a few years ago, and as this clip demonstrates, he is pretty good!

williamwilson666
Anjing

Re: Mike Kaniewski: Pi Quan

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:55 am

You can see the Zhang Zhao Dong flavour in his arms for sure.
The one thing I did not like was how his body rocks back and forth after he issues force.
I do that too, but I believe it is a mistake.
Its cool to see other people who do Zhang's xingyi though. :D
I would be very interested to see Alex Kozma's xingyi.
I bet its really good!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:17 am

I enjoyed some of the break down of pichuan (if that is what one would call it) that he was doing afterwards. It is always helpful to me to see the components of pichuan practiced separately. Helps me with my practice.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Rocking back and forth just means that you don't have very good control of your centre. Its also a balance issue and affects your fighting because if your body has to take time to adjust, it can't get to the next move fast enough.
But as I say, I have that error in my pi quan too.
Luo De Xu I think really settles more into his movement that rocks into (as you said, Tom). He obviously has the correct Shen Fa for his system very deeply ingrained in his body. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Rocking, and also shaking, has often to do with over-extending the movements. Try to sink more, using the stomach to balance the movement (dan tian expansion) and think downward instead of forward.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:15 pm

Bao wrote:Rocking, and also shaking, has often to do with over-extending the movements. Try to sink more, using the stomach to balance the movement (dan tian expansion) and think downward instead of forward.

That is an interesting correction, however, for Zhang's xingyi and Xue Dian's xingyi you pretty much have to think forward, since that is where the intent is going. Li's xingyi has more of a downward feel because it is mostly back weighted as opposed to middle-back or middle weighted. ;)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Intent can be very flexible. A piquan done down/forward, down, or straight and thru is still a piquan.

Hell, even if you expand/straighten the spine a bit on the split, intent goes a little up....and its still a piquan. Xingyi's a big playground, why stick to just one toy?
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Josealb wrote:Intent can be very flexible. A piquan done down/forward, down, or straight and thru is still a piquan.

Hell, even if you expand/straighten the spine a bit on the split, intent goes a little up....and its still a piquan. Xingyi's a big playground, why stick to just one toy?

This is a good comment, but we should also remember that each master had their preferred way of expressing body method.
Just a thought
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Of course. I for one prefer my teachers method very mucho above all others. ;D

I just like to play around so i KNOW that what i do works, and i dont end up doing it just because hes my teacher.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Agreed. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:55 pm

Josealb wrote:Intent can be very flexible. A piquan done down/forward, down, or straight and thru is still a piquan.

What I meant was not the intent, but the actual physical movement (of the full body). However you "intent", you need to balance according to back-forward-down. Down means central equlibrium or zhong ding. And whatever intent you use, all of your movements must have a center. The center of the movement should be your center, preferably the dan tian. Every other movement should be arranged according to this center. This is the same for all arts of bodily movement, dancing, yoga etc.

Mix wrote:That is an interesting correction, however, for Zhang's xingyi and Xue Dian's xingyi you pretty much have to think forward, since that is where the intent is going. Li's xingyi has more of a downward feel because it is mostly back weighted as opposed to middle-back or middle weighted.

Yes, the styles differ, that is correct and so does the quality of jin. But for most styles, over-extending will have the same result. But with that said, I can also say that I am not close to being an expert of Xingyi. I practice sun-xingyi, but there are very few XY teachers here, no one good at all, so I mostly practice for myself these days. Most my thinking about shenfa is from a Taiji perspective, so you can take my advice lightly if you wish.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:02 pm

Well, what you said is true as far as it goes. You need to use your dan tien as the balancing point of the rest of your body.
And rocking back and forth will most likely get you a punch in da mouf(tm)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby TimHml on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:26 pm

I dont understand the leaning forward and rocking back at the end. Seems like that would stop power transmission.

I do see alot of people leaning forward before starting the elements. I dont understand that either and I train hebei.

it just seems you sacrafice too much.

Peace
Tim
TimHml
Santi

Postby johnny2008 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:51 pm

It will be great to see you all post your own Pi Quan so we can see how it should be done .
johnny2008
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:12 pm

johnny2008 wrote:It will be great to see you all post your own Pi Quan so we can see how it should be done .

You can see mine at my youtube account.
I post videos as mixjourneyman there too.
My wuxing is nothing special and I rock back and forth a little too.
Its ok to point out stuff in videos without feeling compelled to show clips too. ;)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links