awesome bagua push hands routine!

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

awesome bagua push hands routine!

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:58 am

mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: awesome bagua push hands routine!

Postby dragontigerpalm on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks for posting. I'm curious about the frequency that contact is broken which is obviously part of the play. Coincidentally my sifu just last week was demonstrating no contact 'control'. I wonder if this is similar. Generally I would think that broken contact = someone gets hit.
Last edited by dragontigerpalm on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby ashe on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am

dragontigerpalm wrote:Thanks for posting. I'm curious about the frequency that contact is broken which is obviously part of the play. Coincidentally my sifu just last week was demonstrating no contact 'control'. I wonder if this is similar. Generally I would think that broken contact = someone gets hit.

hey marty, has the Sifu talked about "first YOU have to stick to him, then HE has to stick to you, then you move to no contact"?
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:17 pm

Bagua isn't tai chi so I don't see a problem with breaking contact frequently.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:04 pm

There is no problem to break contact, not in taiji either. As J.W. would say, and has said: if you feel him, he can feel you - so you should try to use your tingjing but at the same time try to not make it easy for him to use his tingjin. I like what J.W said about PH should be like a sword fight - you stick to the weapon and constantly break the contact. This is a more realistic martial approach to PH. I miss J.W. He had a special way to look at things . . .

very nice clip btw
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:49 pm

ashe wrote:
dragontigerpalm wrote:Thanks for posting. I'm curious about the frequency that contact is broken which is obviously part of the play. Coincidentally my sifu just last week was demonstrating no contact 'control'. I wonder if this is similar. Generally I would think that broken contact = someone gets hit.

hey marty, has the Sifu talked about "first YOU have to stick to him, then HE has to stick to you, then you move to no contact"?

Yes, no contact develops from sticky contact as skill progresses is how I understood Sifu. This of course is way above my present skill level. I can't tell from the clip if the players are demonstrating a similar high level of skill when contact is broken or if the breaks are just interruptions before resuming contact.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby ashe on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:56 am

dragontigerpalm wrote: I can't tell from the clip if the players are demonstrating a similar high level of skill when contact is broken or if the breaks are just interruptions before resuming contact.

i think this actually more like a routine than anything freestyle, so the breaks are probably part of the choreography, which i think a certain amount of is probably healthy.

keeps you from getting stuck on the idea of sticking all the time.

when your stuck at that first level of YOU having to stick HIM it can be really tiring without really getting you anywhere until you learn to relax a little bit, but by that time, you're already developing some offense within your sticky hand...

that was my experience anyway, OMMV.

:D
Last edited by ashe on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:12 am

A funny thing about this video is that I showed it to my teacher and he was like "its very good, but look, we can do this right now". He proceeded to start doing this type of stuff freestyle with me, while I sort of tried to keep up with his movement. It was challenging and tiring lol, but good fun.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:41 pm

ashe wrote:
dragontigerpalm wrote: I can't tell from the clip if the players are demonstrating a similar high level of skill when contact is broken or if the breaks are just interruptions before resuming contact.

keeps you from getting stuck on the idea of sticking all the time.
:D

I like the way you expressed that idea. 8-)
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby David Boxen on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:55 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:A funny thing about this video is that I showed it to my teacher and he was like "its very good, but look, we can do this right now". He proceeded to start doing this type of stuff freestyle with me, while I sort of tried to keep up with his movement. It was challenging and tiring lol, but good fun.

My thoughts exactly. Why bother with the routine? If both partners are interested in playing the game to develop skills instead of to "win", then freestyle should be no problem.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby Andy_S on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 pm

There's a lot of good material in that set. The first half is very familiar to me from Taiji, the second half, not so much.

Mix's teacher makes a great point - there is no reason why one should not take much form material and play it, two-man.

RE: Breaking contact
Perhaps the training point is not the breaking of contact, but of bridging from out of contact...?

RE: PH should be like a sword fight:
Sounds to me more like chisau than tuisau. In the former, the idea is to stay in contact, trap and strike. In tuisau, the idea is as much to offbalance then lock or throw. To take the sword analogy further, in chisau you want to pass your opponent/'s guard to stab or hack, while in tuisau, you may also want to break the opponent's sword/arm.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Return to Video Links