My first grappling Superfight (no gi main event match)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: My first grappling Superfight (no gi main event match)

Postby Butterball on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:35 am

mixjourneyman wrote:The things I really like were his shoot (Which was awesome) and the way that you countered it (which was totally awesome!!!).
How much do you train every week?
Your getting to be a monster! :D

Thanks! I train alot, a little bit more for the last four months or so. Usually I do a half an hour of body weight and Bjj excersises mon, wed, friday followed by training at noon ( 1 hour class, 1 hour sparring and drilling), 30 minutes sparring in the afternoon, 1 hour of class at night followed by 45 minutes to 1 hour sparring after night class. Tuesday I drill and spar for an hour during the day, take class for an hour, spar for 30 min. after class and do yoga for an hour afterwards. Saturday I take class for an hour and spar/drill for an hour after that. I try to get a 30 minute run in and two 30 minute kettlebell sessions in a week at night, usually mondays or wednesdays.

If I feel like my body is taking too much of a beating, I'll slow down on the excersise portions and focus more on drilling technique, positional sparring and doing more Yoga for a week or two. (which is where I'm at right now)
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Nice work!

(I hope you worked your basics in solitude in a locked, darkened room for 3 years before you attempted that though... ;) )
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:22 am

GrahamB wrote:(I hope you worked your basics in solitude in a locked, darkened room for 3 years before you attempted that though... ;) )

lawl!
Ian

Postby fisherman on Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Yo Josh!
Youv'e come leaps and bounds since we met in Philly a few years back. Props to you man. You are looking calm and composed in your match. Keep up the good work!
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Thanks Chris, I appreciate it! Hope all is well with you and training is good!
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:42 am

I don't get to watch much grappling, but that was a really good match. Nice win.
Michael

Postby Muad'dib on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:15 am

Josh, great stuff. Now I can proudly say "I lost to Josh that exact same way". Except faster...
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Josh,

Was there something you did to prevent dude from stacking you?

Or did you just slap in on so fast he didn't know what to do and just resorted to just posturing up and trying to yank it out?

Looking good, I can't imagine catching a black belt off guard.
CaliG

Postby Butterball on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks Zhong!

Hi CaliG,

I had a shallow grip on the wrist (my elbow crook was the only thing holding his wrist at first) which gives people the impression that they can posture and rip out of the armbar easily rather than stacking me because the grip feels loose (I cinch it tighter as I go for the lock). I use the set up for that reason, especially if the guy shows me he is going to stand up in my guard. Since I already have the wrist and they feel like they can posture and rip out of it, they pretty much straighten their own arm. Once I have the wrist controlled and the arm is totally straight, it's really tough to stack the person from there before the arm gets locked out. If they do rip out then I follow up with a triangle, or if the stand all the way up then I follow up with a kneebar/leg lock series on the leg I had underhooked.

When I use the standard control the elbow, push on the face, etc... it works, but I do get stacked sometimes if I don't have good pressure on the opponents head breaking his posture. I like that approach as well, but use it more with guys who don't feel like they are going to try to stand up.

Hope that makes sense!
Last edited by Butterball on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:30 pm

Thanks Josh, it makes a lot of sense.

I knew you did something to set the guy up like that for him to try to rip his arm out instead of doing the standard escape.

Because basically you made a blackbelt look like a white belt. Dude never knew it was coming.

I look forward to seeing more.
CaliG

Postby Kurt Robbins on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:56 am

Congradulations Josh,
- The BB's take down attempt looked like a mudded up attempt at a single leg. He stuck his head into your hip/pelvis and then left his hips behind (which is good for a single to turn the pike), but he grabbed both of your legs and drove forward instead of dropping the hips and lifting up or to the side. (great reversal on that Josh)
I have never seen someone stand up like that? I don't know why he didn't just posture up and start working to pass your guard?
There are a number of arm bar escapes from a good postured position ( I have never tried to yank my arm free ). I really think he underestimated you and tried risky strategies to dominate you with.
Awsome job Josh - If your ever in Washington let me know -I'd love to role with you.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Butterball on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:04 am

Thanks for the kind words CaliG!

Hi Kurt,

The way you described the takedown is how I learned it for a double leg.Thanks for the compliment on the reversal I work alot on counters to doubles and singles like that because I have a lackluster sprawl, lol and my wrestling skills in general are pretty poor :) Thanks for the invite also! I'll definitely take you up on it if I'm ever out in your neck of the woods, the same goes to you as well if you ever find yourself in Philly!
Last edited by Butterball on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 am

Well, I have no idea how official this is, but the following site shows Josh is currently ranked 5th for competing purple belts.

http://www.grapplers.com/RATED/standing ... roupType=2
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:46 am

Is that ranking for no gi and gi ? (impressive Josh)
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:30 am

not know
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links