My first grappling Superfight (no gi main event match)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: My first grappling Superfight (no gi main event match)

Postby qiphlow on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:55 pm

very nice.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:53 pm

He had a good half guard. he got out and then had you in a bad position on the side, you got to full guard and took great advantage of his arm. awesome!
neijia_boxer

Postby somatai on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:03 pm

great work man...keep it up!
somatai

Postby JAB on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Clay Guida wanna be!?!?! Nice job Josh! But honestly he should not be making those kinds of mistakes at BB level :o Good for you though! I notice you been doing a lot of no gi comps. Do you like it more than Gi?
Thanks
Jake
JAB

Postby bailewen on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:24 pm

Wow.

Nicely done. Looks to me like the BB you "fought" underestimated you but I don't really know anything about this stuff. Just goes to show, you can never tell. ;D

Really man, very nice.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:12 pm

That was really good.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:28 pm

JAB wrote:Clay Guida wanna be!?!?! Nice job Josh! But honestly he should not be making those kinds of mistakes at BB level :o Good for you though! I notice you been doing a lot of no gi comps. Do you like it more than Gi?
Thanks
Jake

Hi Jake,

I actually like competing in the Gi more these days, but there are more opportunities for me to compete against good guys no gi right now. I should be getting more gi tournaments in when next summer comes up (with the Pan ams, etc...). It's more fun with the grips for me with the gi, and the slower pace.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I appreciate it! I had a blast going out to Wisconsin and competing and am glad you guys like the videos i put up.

Just to clarify, when I called it a "Superfight", that's just what No gi main event matches are called sometimes. I always feel wierd calling grappling matches "fights" and just wanted to clarify :)
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:32 pm

Tom wrote:Really nice work, Josh--thanks for posting the clip. I liked the way you rode his arm.

What I really liked is the way you two engaged, fought hard, then ended with respect and a smile. I see a lot of that with grappling matches, especially BJJ. I don't do BJJ, but it seems like that attitude is a part of BJJ culture.

Thanks, that's one of the things that got me enjoying competition in the first place. Before I competed, I thought it would just be a bunch of meatheads running around acting like assholes, but then I tried it and really enjoyed the comraderie and respect that is generally prevalent. There are plenty of exceptions of course, but for the most part I've been fortunate to compete against cool dudes.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Right on!
CaliG

Postby JAB on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:18 pm

I have competed a couple times now, and I can honestly say across the board, without a doubt the most respectful tournaments of the dozens of karate, and CMA tourneys I have competed in across N. America! I too thought my first time competing that it was going to be crazy pricks ripping limbs off (of course this psyched me out!). But when I was losing my third fight my opponent had a kimura (shoulder lock basicall) on me, he went to put it on and I rolled into him hard trying to get my arm back, and my right free hand hit his back. He immediatley froze and asked "was that a tap" to which I replied "No, but you are about two inches from one (my shoulder was really cranked)" so he then slowly put the lock on, as I tried to get out, but I was a day late dollar short (many nights end this way with Jake!). Super nice cat! Beat me in my second tournament too! Little shit!!!!
Anyways, for those of you who have not experienced good things at tourneys, check out some grappling tourneys! With a few exceptions the people are all there to have fun and learn, and compete. I have yet to see one injury! A lot of this is due to the guys who run the tourneys up here too! Great guys that run the tightest tourneys I have ever seen!

I'm babbling................
Jake
JAB

Postby Coach DAi on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Well done.

alias Dai-BoXeR aKa Bronze Tiger
CLUB XINYIDAO http://www.myspace.com/clubxyd
Coach DAi
Santi

Postby everything on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:03 pm

That was awesome. Your sprawl looked very whole body, connected. You look way more relaxed and not as tense or strong yet you still pulled it off. Congrats!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby TaoJoannes on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:23 am

nice work, not the biggest fan of the format, but you done good, pig.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Butterball on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:24 am

TaoJoannes wrote:nice work, not the biggest fan of the format, but you done good, pig.

lol, hey, that's Capitalist Pig to you! ;D
Butterball
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links