Bruce Lee on Taijiquan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Bruce Lee on Taijiquan

Postby Bao on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:54 am

I thought about putting this on OT, because it's not that serious. But I guess many people just can't get enough of him so . . .

"Taiji is for the elderly people" ::) Sometimes you wonder about how much Lee actually new about chinese martial arts. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: Bruce Lee on Taijiquan

Postby GrahamB on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:15 pm

Be like water my friend ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Wu_Style_Disciple on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Bruce obviously doe not know what he's talking about.

I thought about putting this on OT, because it's not that serious. But I guess many people just can't get enough of him so . . .

"Taiji is for the elderly people" ::) Sometimes you wonder about how much Lee actually new about chinese martial arts. ;)[/quote]
David McKenzie :: http://wustyle.com :: http://youtube.com/dhjmckenzie :: http://dhjmckenzie.googlepages.com/wust ... nstruction

"Your training is nothing! The will is everything!" ~ Henri Ducard to Bruce Wayne, Batman Begins
Wu_Style_Disciple
Mingjing

Postby GrahamB on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:37 am

Well, in a way, from one perspective, he's right. ;D

The Tao that can be told is not the true Tao.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:53 am

Ian

Postby baguamen22 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:04 am

His father was a practitioner of Wu Jian Chuan style, but Bruce thought it would take too long to learn it for fighting. However, we must keep in mind that one of his more well known students was Daniel Lee (no relation) a practitioner of the Dong branch of Yang Taiji.

I also remember reading somewhere in his earlier years in the states that he was really interested in Baguazhang. ;)
baguamen22
Santi

Postby Repulsive Monkey on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:13 am

It's a shame passed up on the internal for the external.
It's a shame that some people still today believe that Bruce was the best martial artist around when he doesn't have a clue about Taiji.
Last edited by Repulsive Monkey on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Repulsive Monkey
Santi

Postby fisherman on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:17 am

I do like what he said at the end there about always keeping moving and that moving/running water never goes stale. :)
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby baguamen22 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:41 am

Repulsive Monkey wrote:It's a shame passed up on the internal for the external.
It's a shame that some people still today believe that Bruce was the best martial artist around when he doesn't have a clue about Taiji.

This is a very ignorant comment.
baguamen22
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:09 am

Repulsive Monkey wrote:It's a shame passed up on the internal for the external.

I'd imagine lots of people think of Fedor as one of the best martial artists around today and I doubt he knows any taiji either. :P
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:39 am

I resepct Bruce Lee for his innovative, practical, and effective approach on fighting. At a time when information on various style of martial arts was not readily available, he took the time to research the arts and eventually develop a system that made him an excellent fighter.

I've always thought it'd be interesting to see how Bruce alters his art to suit his aging body if he hadn't died so young. Perhaps when his superb physique, muscular force, and speed begins to deterioate due to age, he'd choose to take a second look at CIMA and come up with a different conclusion.
Last edited by C.J.Wang on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby baguamen22 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:10 pm

C.J.Wang wrote:I resepct Bruce Lee for his innovative, practical, and effective approach on fighting. At a time when information on various style of martial arts was not readily available, he took the time to research the arts and eventually develop a system that made him an excellent fighter.

I've always thought it'd be interesting to see how Bruce alters his art to suit his aging body if he hadn't died so young. Perhaps when his superb physique, muscular force, and speed begins to deterioate due to age, he'd choose to take a second look at CIMA and come up with a different conclusion.

Maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't have, we'll never know. However, we can look at many of his students today who are all doing pretty well. Jerry Poteet, Dan Lee (who does Taijiquan), Dan Inosanto, and Bob Bremer to name a few.
baguamen22
Santi

Postby cdobe on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:51 pm

baguamen22 wrote:His father was a practitioner of Wu Jian Chuan style, but Bruce thought it would take too long to learn it for fighting. However, we must keep in mind that one of his more well known students was Daniel Lee (no relation) a practitioner of the Dong branch of Yang Taiji.

I also remember reading somewhere in his earlier years in the states that he was really interested in Baguazhang. ;)

Here you go :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIxoA5VG3jg

Wikipedia wrote:Lee's first introduction to martial arts was through his father, Lee Hoi Cheun. He learned the fundamentals of Wu style Tai Chi Chuan from his father.[22] Lee's sifu, Wing Chun master Yip Man, was also a colleague and friend of Hong Kong's Wu style Tai Chi Chuan teacher Wu Ta-ch'i.

Mandarin: Wu Daqi 吳大齊 (Son of Wu Gongyi)
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby baguamen22 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Good find cdobe.
baguamen22
Santi

Postby Bao on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks Cdobe
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert