GM Liu Yun Qiao teaching Ba Ji at Wu Tan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

GM Liu Yun Qiao teaching Ba Ji at Wu Tan

Postby SPJ on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:23 pm

SPJ
Wuji

Re: GM Liu Yun Qiao teaching Ba Ji at Wu Tan

Postby David Boxen on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:31 pm

That was a cool form at the end there
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby count on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:15 am

nice find. The form in the end is the first half of our chen short form. Thanks for the post.
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:22 am

Very, very nice find. SPJ, or anyone else, can you give a basic translation of what he is saying? I am stuck at work until 10:00 pm so my "translator" will not likely be available when I get home at 10:00 pm. LOL
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:42 am

What is nice about this clip is that it illustrates a major jiben gong training method or process. You see Liu in the horsestance used in baji and how you move into a one punch. For lack of a better word this would be a static exercise, even though there is movement in the stance and posture.

You then see in the next clip students performing a moving one punch. The first drill can also be done from side-to-side and for almost all of the major static postures in Liu's jiben gong, they can be done in place and then executed dynamically or moving. Each or most of the moving postures can be played as a two person drill so applications are expressed. The process of Liu's training and development is logically sequential and step-lby-step, with each block builiding upon each other. You find this characteristic in the da qiang training, the baji sword, pigua etc. etc..
Last edited by Bob on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:16 am

Yes.

some highlites;

1. to remove other thoughts, we have to focus when we practice. if we have other thoughts, then the power is dissipated/fragmented.

2. quiet/still vs moving or jin vs dong

we have to learn how to be quiet (our mind and body) first and then how to move.

--

as pointed out, static or fixed postures first and then moving between postures.

:)
Last edited by SPJ on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPJ
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:31 am

Looks like a good documentray produced by Japanese TV at around '83.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby count on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:57 pm

SPJ wrote:Yes.

we have to learn how to be quiet (our mind and body) first and then how to move.

:)

Yes, I've heard my teacher say "There is a MA saying: before you commit any moves, you need to achieve "calmness" first."

Actually, I just heard him say it again, after I posted this video to our group. ;D
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby count on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:42 am

Bob wrote:Very, very nice find. SPJ, or anyone else, can you give a basic translation of what he is saying? I am stuck at work until 10:00 pm so my "translator" will not likely be available when I get home at 10:00 pm. LOL

I think you probably saw this, but in case you still want translation, here's a bit more of how Sifu Tsou translated the comments.

Beside GM Liu's demonstration of how to generate a powerful punch by transitioning from horse stance into Bow & Arrow stance, he also advised students not to let unnecessary thoughts disturb the focus. Most thoughts are negtive energy which could weaken your MA power.
Last edited by count on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:02 am

Thanks Count! I am now waiting for a clip of Liu doing his Yang's taijiquan or even better his Tai Zu Quan [supposedly close to what is practiced by the Chen clan. I've heard that the taping has been around for a couple of years in Taiwan. It is purportedly played as slowly as Yang's taijiquan.].
Bob
Great Old One

Postby count on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:25 am

Bob wrote:Thanks Count! I am now waiting for a clip of Liu doing his Yang's taijiquan or even better his Tai Zu Quan [supposedly close to what is practiced by the Chen clan. I've heard that the taping has been around for a couple of years in Taiwan. It is purportedly played as slowly as Yang's taijiquan.].

I hope people continue to share the material they are hoarding. I recently came across this clip of training at wutan. I believe it comes from you Ohio guys. For whatever reason, it came with a label for teachers only. Kind of a joke when it just shows good basic training. I think this kind of training really does encourage more people to train. Sure brings back memories for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2WUJyTJyDc
Last edited by count on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:04 am

Count:

As I have stated previously I am in "semi-retirement" and I had nothing to do with when, where, what and how many clips are put up and/or available.

The above clip is Tony teaching at the various colleges in Taiwan. Many of the students in the clips are the current Wu Tan Masters teaching in Taipei.

I've been told by someone out of my circle that there are a lot of clips of Liu teaching in Taipei in the 1980s---I also hope they get posted.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:43 pm

At the end of the clip, it was a very young Damon Huang doing Chen Tai Chi (Wu Tan abstract).

The fixed postures are also called zhuang bu or pole stance/step.

;D ;) 8-)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks SPJ---

I am begging to see a clip of his Yang's taijiquan side-by-side with his tai zu quan.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby count on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:25 am

Nice article with photos.

http://www.satirio.com/ma/articles/liudakai.html

Here is the first part.

Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Return to Video Links