Steve Morris MMA Pick

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Steve Morris MMA Pick

Postby CaliG on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:07 pm

From Morris's website

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/07WTFGomi.htm

Watch the Fight

16 March 2007 - Gomi

Here's an example, not of a fight I've watched and got a lesson from, but a fight that illustrates many of the principles and concepts I've been teaching in action. You can see the principles and concepts on my DVDs and in my seminars, but until now I've never seen them demonstrated so vividly in the ring.

Gomi Takanori and his trainers have undoubtedly been doing the same thing as me over the past several years, because the way he fights is the logical conclusion to the lessons which the fight has been throwing up over these last ten years. Here we see the crouch position, the shoulder-knee relationship, hips back. Fast motion forward and back as well as laterally. Head drawing and leading the action--he's hunting.

The other guy in the fight is upright, and he's telegraphing everything. He's on his back foot and he has nowhere to go. He can't get Gomi down, because Gomi runs backwards in the same way he runs forward--something which I've been trying to get across to guys for years. Finally somebody's doing it right, as far as I'm concerned as a trainer.

Gomi is controlling the red zone. He's like a mongoose on a snake. He can go in and go out at will. Watch the way he moves back. He doesn't necessarily have to sprawl because his hips are already back; he can just run back. And when he does sprawl, again he controls the position. He allows the guy to get up and then knees him in the head. Something, again, that I've been advocating for years--and you'll even see me break some of it down on the public You Tube clips. It's common sense!

So for those guys who buy my videos, who were on courses, and who plan to come on courses: watch this guy! On the feet, you want to move like him.

Gomi vs. Kawajiri

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... ri-b_sport
CaliG

Re: Steve Morris MMA Pick

Postby Butterball on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Interesting stuff!
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Dillon on Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Vid no longer available :(
Dillon
Santi

Postby CaliG on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 pm

Go to daily motion and type in "Gomi vs. Kawajiri."
Last edited by CaliG on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:28 am

Thats a good fight.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:24 pm

As far as I'm concerned the front-weighted stance is the best for moving around quickly.
Last edited by CaliG on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby ashe on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:31 pm

i'm not sure that it's really the front weighted stance per se, but more just having and maintaining forward energy, which IMO is different, but it's important to have.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:18 pm

It could be. Again I think this goes back to the discussion of what's natural on the main forum.

If you tell a kid to get ready to run he's immediately going to put all his weight on this front foot whether he's going to go forward of backward.
Last edited by CaliG on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby GrahamB on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:44 am

Interesting that many long jumpers put their weight on the back foot before running forward.

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:56 am

Interesting point, what I actually see is something different.

For example the man at 3:30. He's front-weighted then goes back-weighted to create the momentum to spring forward.

This is what I see these jumpers doing. At 4:25 you can clearly see this, he's shuffling his weight back and forth creating that momentum in his body and then running. I believe if we could see all these jumpers before they start we'd see more of this.
Last edited by CaliG on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby fuga on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:47 pm

When I watch that triple jump, all I can see is a couple of guys looking at a river crossing shaking their heads and one guy saying "I bet I can make it across."
fuga
Great Old One

Return to Video Links