Wutan(g) Movie

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Wutan(g) Movie

Postby Bob on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:31 am

Someone outside of Wu Tan once translated it as an ancient altar---hence the Wu Tan(g) Organizatioal Developmental Center became the place upon which the traditional arts were placed .

The guys at Wu Tan USA had the full story but I can't find it.

http://www.wutanusa.org/

When Tony Yang came to the US in 1980, someone made or he brought a banner [you'll find it in Kurt Wong's school too, the banner] and Wu Tan had already been translated to Wu Tang---my own preference is Wu Tan but by the time we evolved publicly, it was too late.

Guys, thanks for the movie/music check!
Bob
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:50 pm

lol. I know how that is.

It's not for nothing I that even I, fluent Mandarin speaker, used Kung fu as a spelling on my business card when I was teaching Wudang Kung Fu in SF this spring.

Back on topic though...

I wonder if the reason many people don't see the Chen/Baji thing is because of how the chansijin takes a back seat in Baji to Kao jin. You can see it in Tony's demo. Kao is much more pronounced than Chan even though chan and kao are both among the 6 primary jin of Baji. Not sure of their relative place in Chen. Baji chan, as I learned it, is not so pronounced as what I generally see in Chen demos even to the point where I notice many newer students don't manifest it at all or manifest it "backwards". Each spiral has an appropriate direction, inwards or outwards depending on the context.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:56 am

Omar:

I think you might be on to something here. We, at least here, get a great deal of our chan si jin nourishment from a number of the da qiang exercises---very subtle in some exercises like the slow, one hand thrusts. Last week we spent some time doing pad/shield work and you are correct I am struck by the amount of kao jin found in many of the applications and the difficulty is using the whole body in the strike--In addition to the striking power, fist elbow and even the inside of the shoulder/collar bone. When doing these techniques you realize how much baji is a close range fighting system. Even in the version of xiao baji we do, there is both striking and shuai jiao combined but the bias is still toward the striking.

Good points, Omar.
Bob
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links