The Great Outdoors

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The Great Outdoors

Postby RobP on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 am

We recently ran a camp in woodcraft plus some outdoor training. Good fun was had by all even in the rain! I reccomend getting out and back to nature every now and then - especially while the weather is like this!

cheers

Rob
RobP

Re: The Great Outdoors

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:56 am

I just took my five year old here in about a month ago. Don't know if it counts as real outdoors since it's a state park...but it was pretty fun.

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby fisherman on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:00 pm

Nice S!
That was really relaxing!
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:47 am

I think state parks count. I have yet to see a roof over all of the trees!

Do any of you explore primitive living skills at all? I have been researching for several years now. I have figured out how to forage for several edible pants, but so far primitive fire making still alludes me...I still have to resort to some sort of modern, manufactured firestarter.
Last edited by Royal Dragon on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:38 am

My favourite martial arts classes are always outside. Rain, snow, wind, sun, rough uneven ground. Just deal with it.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby RobP on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:16 am

Royal Dragon wrote:I think state parks count. I have yet to see a roof over all of the trees!

Do any of you explore primitive living skills at all? I have been researching for several years now. I have figured out how to forage for several edible pants, but so far primitive fire making still alludes me...I still have to resort to some sort of modern, manufactured firestarter.

Have you tried using a bow to start a fire? Not easy, especially in the damp. We used a flint and steel which I guess is manufactured, and that was difficult enough. Makes you realise how much you take for granted!

cheers

Rob
RobP

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:45 am

Rain, snow, wind, sun, rough uneven ground. Just deal with it.

Wow, Graham. You really are hard as nails aren't you?

Me I'd rather stay in, eat bon bons and watch my soaps.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Just deal with it Shawn the sheep! ;D

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:53 pm

RobP wrote:Have you tried using a bow to start a fire? Not easy, especially in the damp. We used a flint and steel which I guess is manufactured, and that was difficult enough. Makes you realise how much you take for granted!

i sort of wondered about all the effort you went through to make tinder and then just used a magnesium block! :D

why not just use a tampon? they make the best kindling, and can also pull double duty as a first aid object.

we had a camp out ourselves this past summer and everyone seemed to have a good time.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:08 am

RobP wrote:
Royal Dragon wrote:I think state parks count. I have yet to see a roof over all of the trees!

Have you tried using a bow to start a fire? Not easy, especially in the damp. We used a flint and steel which I guess is manufactured, and that was difficult enough. Makes you realise how much you take for granted!

cheers

Rob

Reply]
Not yet. I have tried a hand drill, and a fire plow...both unsuccessful. I am good with the military issue magnesium block though, as well as a fire steel, but unfortunately those are man made tools.

I have not tried the bow drill because i have yet to figure out how to make a string form natural materials that would be strong enough. I suppose I could kill a deer and use the intestines, or a length of Sinew, but i don't have a good place to store the meat afterwards.

Recently I found a vine that is rather strong though. I am trying to get the bark off of it and twine it into a thicker string than I have tied in the past. If that works, I will try the bow drill with it.
Last edited by Royal Dragon on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:30 am

Question, where were you guys camped at? Was it close to parking, or did you have to back pack into your location?
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Return to Video Links