what are you working on?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

what are you working on?

Postby somatai on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmLon8xYwE

so I have been working with this art for a bit over a month and am loving it! really nice training practices and deep shen fa.....many, many connections to the bagua I have trained in the past.

anyone else wanna put up some clips?
somatai

Re: what are you working on?

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:25 pm

Word. I knew you'd been wanting to pursue that.

Goodonya, Derek.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:47 pm

somatai wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmLon8xYwE

so I have been working with this art for a bit over a month and am loving it! really nice training practices and deep shen fa.....many, many connections to the bagua I have trained in the past.

anyone else wanna put up some clips?

Hey man, good to see you are enjoying the art and sharing with us your clips. I see as posted 1) Chang San Bu (long, 3 stance), 2) Yow San Ba Zhou and 3) Dan Ba (single bear palm).

I thought I would comment a little, giving some advice, just from what I was previously taught.

The "Yow San Ba" the fingers are too high (when you expand), they are over your head they should be at eyebrow height, make sure when you contract, everything is very tight and rubbing on the body.

The "Dan Ba", when you do this you open your armpit a lot on both sides, on the opposite side from the striking palm, this should be tight to the body, if you look at the angle of your forearm, if this was vertical, you would not have this problem.

Looking good though, keep it up.

JB
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:57 pm

thanks JB
somatai

Postby Brady on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:46 am

looks good Derek, how much are you focusing on the cross lines and Dan's methods during these drills?
Brady
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:26 pm

Very interesting. I know little about Xinyi. What are the core teachings you are benefitting from in this art, Derek?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:50 am

Brady...yes, alot of the same ideas are at play here, it is of course a different shape, but the internal ideas are the same

Andy....xylh is very similar in development methods to Xie Peiqi's bagua so it feels familar to me although the shapes are different....i love the focus on low basin, stepping work and really engaging the tendons and structure in all the shapes....in short it is a very thorough and clear training methodolology that has even in a short time taught me much and really helped fill in some holes in my understanding....it is very direct and very aggressive style and i love the single action traommg methodology.
somatai

Return to Video Links