practical tai chi (drills)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

practical tai chi (drills)

Postby cloudz on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 am

Hey folks, check it.

Some basic drills from a DVD by my instructor. The DVD focuses on Tai Chi training for Full contact fighting, self defence and MMA. Featuring Neil Rosiak (London tai chi club) and one time student UK MMA fighter Sami 'the hun' Berik.

cheers

Last edited by cloudz on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Re: practical tai chi (drills)

Postby ParryPerson on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:17 am

I loved it.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Wu_Style_Disciple on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Very nice demonstration of applications and principles.
David McKenzie :: http://wustyle.com :: http://youtube.com/dhjmckenzie :: http://dhjmckenzie.googlepages.com/wust ... nstruction

"Your training is nothing! The will is everything!" ~ Henri Ducard to Bruce Wayne, Batman Begins
Wu_Style_Disciple
Mingjing

Postby king-kong on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Neil Rosiak a student of Dan Docherty of Wudang Practical Tai Chi Chuan international who recently posted a great clip of Cheng Tin Hung. These are some of our techniques and apps from the form. 8-) Nice work Niall and Sami. This is how we roll............
king-kong
Mingjing

Postby kreese on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 pm

I know it's called Wudang by Mr. Docherty, but Wu style really seems to have a lot of great fighting material no matter where it comes from.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Good lord, Taiji applied practically and creatively? Dayam.

Very nice - that clip got better and better the further it went. What is the name of the DVD?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby king-kong on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:14 am

Hi Andy the name of the DVD is Tai Chi for practical self-defence and competition fighting.
king-kong
Mingjing

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:22 am

I like the follow up shoulder strike - good, inventive use of the kou.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:32 am

Cool, I liked it! :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:46 am

It seems like the good stuff isn't always about what to do, but when. The when is usually nowhere near what real fighting could be, but here you don't have to stretch your imagination much at all to see utility.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:37 am

Does his material really all come from Mr. Docherty ? My impression is that there are elements that come from another Wu style teacher from the UK. In that case credit should be given.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 am

I like a lot of the clip although I think his kao could become much more powerful if he kept his shoulder and hip aligned and he struck his opponent. That is hard to achieve since the tendency is to lead with the shoulder but you get much more power in the strike if the shoulder/hip move at a 90 degree angle to the ground.

You can practice this with a partmer or a tree/pole [make sure there is give in the tree or pole otherwise you break your shoulder].
Bob
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 am

cdobe wrote:Does his material really all come from Mr. Docherty ? My impression is that there are elements that come from another Wu style teacher from the UK. In that case credit should be given.

You fabulously big lineage queen.
;) ;D :P
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby king-kong on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:02 pm

GrahamB wrote:
cdobe wrote:Does his material really all come from Mr. Docherty ? My impression is that there are elements that come from another Wu style teacher from the UK. In that case credit should be given.

You fabulously big lineage queen.
;) ;D :P

Not sure what you mean cdobe, would be interesting to see the differences between what CTH practiced including apps and techniques, such as flying flower palm 飛花掌 and what his uncle Cheng Wing Kwong and the Wu´s in Hong Kong originally practiced which could be down to what CTH learnt from Qi Min-xuan. Cheng Tin-hung first learned Tai Chi Chuan from his uncle, Cheng Wing-kwong, who was one of only three "inside the door" students of Wu Jian-chuan in Hong Kong. His uncle taught widely in South East Asia, particularly in Malaysia. However, Chen Wing-kwong later brought Qi Min-xuan from Henan Province to teach his sons and nephews. Later CWK asked CTH to correct him on various applications and techniques he had learnt from QMX, including some of the missing yin yang 24 nei gong.
As far as the UK goes props to Ian Cameron, Dans older Tai Chi brother for helping to spread the art from Hong Kong but as far as the apps and techniques demonstrated here the lineage question is straight foward, well at least to me, no elements from Wu style teacher in the UK. Neil a student of Dan Docherty who learnt from Cheng Tin Hung.
Last edited by king-kong on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
king-kong
Mingjing

Postby Walk the Torque on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Nice clip.

re the applications. Not much difference between these and Yang style.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links