Close Range Gunfighting

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Close Range Gunfighting

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm

By Gabriel Suarez.

I see a lot of similarities with what I'm learning now. Very informative.

Ian

Re: Close Range Gunfighting

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Another great clip from Kelly McCann.

Ian

Postby bailewen on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:24 am

At the 1:00 mark, picture perfect "hiting flower under leaf"(叶底藏花) . Whodathinkit? Bagua was made for guns. . . :)
Last edited by bailewen on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:59 am

Hey you're right!

I've only done about an hour of bagua altogether, but I recognise the move.

However...

are bullets internal?
Last edited by Ian on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby TaoBoxer on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:20 am

Gabe is a friend of a friend... From all accounts a good guy and an excellent practitioner. This stuff is similar to what I taught when I worked for SIGARMS.

Lewitt

Oh.... yes, bullets are "internal." Maximum effect, minimal effort :-D
Never go full retard
TaoBoxer
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:16 pm

but wait, he didn't get wrist control.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby nianfong on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:23 pm

on a serious note, those videos are pretty cool shit.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby klonk on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Well, that was good. But there is another perspective.

Long time ago the received wisdom was, if you have a pistol, and you sense an encounter, you BACK UP. Muzzle between you and the threat. The farther away you are, the safer you are, because a good pistoleer can hit within a hand's breadth at any distance you would need a pistol.

The back foot feels around behind you so you don't fall over anything.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby gryphonz on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:01 am

If you lose your balance going back, ur chance of hitting something drops rapidly.
gryphonz
Great Old One

Postby lindun on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:03 am

wild wild west
lindun
Mingjing

Postby Daniel on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:46 am

Thanks for the clips. My chinese teacher teaches facets of gun-use through his material. Once someone is in touch with you you have several options. His take on some of the stuff the guy did in video one would be to expand internally in the other direction, moving his center through several planes of motion with opposite force while simultaneouly opening up space towards the opponent and changing angles. This way it seems like the gun suddenly magically points at you with very little overt physical movement on the outside to telegraph, and it´s very fast. If done well, it will also pull them off center with a rollback on the outside.

John Painter is supposed to teach a lot of combinations with handgun/IMA. From what I heard a couple of years ago, part of graduating to teacher in his system recquired you to learn their two-gun bagua-form from his caravan-guard lineage, which teaches you to shoot in two different directions while moving, and then having to do this with live ammo on mats as part of your grading. I don´t know if this is correct, but maybe there´s some long-time Jiulong-student out there who might give us an up-to-date comment on that part of Dr. Painter´s material? Pretty please? ;D

IMA and guns is an interesting topic, especially using the building-blocks from Xingyi. One good exercise to start off with when moving and shooting during practice, is to continously re-wire your nervous system reverting to yin-vision after every shot. Once you´ve worked this for a while it becomes more permanently ingrained, and you shift into it immediatly once you have it anchored to situations of perceived or actual threat. This technique works incredibly well, will keep your CNS cleaner, your mind more aware, less risk of getting into a dangerous stress-cycle, keeps you from losing fine-motor skills as easily (might be crucial for other tasks or jammed gun), it will also give you ability to shift targets better, and simply not get stuck. Santi with whatever gun you need to be functional with is of course a basic training-technique you can do in several different steps. Using circle-walking with guns opens up the fuck-up-factor-fix, when you use the bianhua-training with the gun, thus adapting easier to the shifts in a real situation while linking it to the specific visceral feel of using and holding a gun. (Doing the snafu palm-change 8-).)

For usage of the entire gun at very close quarters, one way to play is doing Chen-style chanzigong while holding a gun. It will make the gun much more a part of your system (if you want that, of course. Later skills are in how you hide this). Using the gun would be primary, but still, it´s usually better to be adept at using all parts just in case. Or when out of ammo, or jammed. The situation might also call for a more humane reaction, and doing silk-reeling with it teaches you how to lock with your entire body while holding a gun you for some reason choose not to use at the moment. This will also give you an increased ability to lock someone in several different planes while shooting in another direction - or effectively protecting a client while doing same. This works very well. The idea about using all parts of the weapon go back to the classical exercises with a sword still in its scabbard too.

Just some thoughts. Interesting topic.

D.
Last edited by Daniel on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Return to Video Links