Experiencing Real Kung Fu – CCTV Series

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Experiencing Real Kung Fu – CCTV Series

Postby marvin8 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:08 pm

marvin8
Wuji

Re: Experiencing Real Kung Fu – CCTV Series

Postby Andy_S on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:44 am

This show had a great concept:
Go to visit various TCMA
Have (1) the oafish foreigner and (b) the skilled and cultured Chinese chap spar
Dissect

Unfortunately they had to fictionalize it.
When the oafish foreigner spars with the TCMA chaps, it is clearly choreographed. (One exception being the Shaolin/sansau episode, but check out the "pressure point master" and the "taiji master:" There are long shots of them sparring, then we cut to sudden, choreographed "close ups" of the decisive moves);
When the cultured Chinese chaps spart with the masters, it is light contact, "hand-chasing" sparring with neither party actually doing much that resembles fighting.

The Hong Kong TV series, when the show stars (who had significant MA backgrounds, which I am not sure you could say about the peeps in this show) actually spar with the TCMAritsts was far better: They were respectful of those they met, but they sparred for real rather than making up the "fight" parts.

Ho hum.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby wushutiger on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:40 am

I said this in another topic about this series:
"This entire series, its staged performance, fake presentation, premise, and deliberate exaggeration of the greatness of the native practitioner over the dumb brute foreigners is not only an insult to the people in the show, but to all Chinese martial arts on a whole. The Chinese are managing very well to further degrade the arts in the eyes of all martial artists who see this shit."

Also, their feats of skill, are all staged and easy to see.....
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:48 am

Andy_S wrote:This show had a great concept:
Go to visit various TCMA
Have (1) the oafish foreigner and (b) the skilled and cultured Chinese chap spar
Dissect

The Hong Kong TV series, when the show stars (who had significant MA backgrounds, which I am not sure you could say about the peeps in this show) actually spar with the TCMAritsts was far better: They were respectful of those they met, but they sparred for real rather than making up the "fight" parts.
Ho hum.

It's a balance of reality, rule sets, & saving face. If I you defeat (make them look bad) the guests, the promotion of their school may suffer. It may be hard finding future guests.

I miss Danny Horgan's Wing Chun Blast episodes, in a similar format :D :
Chi sau starts @ 6:22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkHQQBYQ7g
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:54 pm

I have noticed that in Yang style, it is a practice pattern that its lineage masters and principals are nowhere to be found per the various encounters (shrine seekers, worshippers, etc) when compared to those of Wu or Chen style Why is that?
Last edited by yeniseri on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby phil b on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:46 pm

I fail to see how anyone with even half a brain can possibly believe this kind of show.
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Return to Video Links