Xing Yi quan conditioning

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Xing Yi quan conditioning

Postby Overlord on Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Overlord

Re: Xing Yi quan conditioning

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:01 pm

The manner of performance demonstrated on this clip is typical of many Hsing-Yi Chuan practitioners, with too much emphasis given to developing overt power in upper body movements, and with too little emphasis given to developing efficient stance and footwork, IMO. :-\

The arm and hand movements appear to be a bit too rigidly linear and angular to me, thus lacking sufficient relaxation and circularity to allow maximum speed and power in combinations of multiple techniques. Additionally, I believe that the stance and footwork shown is vulnerable to groin attacks, due to the open space and daylight clearly showing between the legs, and is also vulnerable to jamming, foot anchoring, trips, sweeps, and even vulnerable to throws as well in some instances, due to the total absence of any rapid foot withdrawals prior to taking advancing steps.

My teacher regularly demonstrated all of the above vulnerabilites on me for a long, long time until I finally resolved these deficiencies in my own movement. :-[

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:13 am

I agree with Doc.

And one would guess that since he's doing 'conditioning', he'd go slower, more relaxed and with deep sinking of the waist. Not the case.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:22 am

Is he auditioning for It's a Knockout?

(*for those missing the cultural reference http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lMYeHQ-T0 ... re=related )
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Harvey on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:20 am

Forgive me for my obvious ignorance but isn't better to do weight dragging with it connected to your waist rather than just one foot?
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:42 am

Felipe Bidó wrote:I agree with Doc.

And one would guess that since he's doing 'conditioning', he'd go slower, more relaxed and with deep sinking of the waist. Not the case.

He says:"Although ive been in martial arts for many years, Ive only been training in xing yi seriously for about 7-8 months. take care - Randy Stroud"

Give him a break, he is doing just fine for practicing such a short time. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 pm

True that its a short time only, but he would benefit allot more if he asks his teacher or any other experienced person about his practice, instead of getting creative with training methods (which i think this is the case).
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Not bad attempt but from what I understand, those methods won't develop your internal skill, chi, etc. If he's looking for more physical power, then why not do some kettlebells or heavy lifting with the barbell squat, clean and press, and dead lift.
Chris Fleming

Postby Bao on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Josealb wrote:True that its a short time only, but he would benefit allot more if he asks his teacher or any other experienced person about his practice, instead of getting creative with training methods (which i think this is the case).

I believe that his mistake is showing something before he knows if his practice will bring any benefits.
On the other hand, I think that he shows creativity is great, even if the method is stupid. I would be happy to have a student showing such enthusiasm.

Chris Fleming wrote:Not bad attempt but from what I understand, those methods won't develop your internal skill, chi, etc. If he's looking for more physical power, then why not do some kettlebells or heavy lifting with the barbell squat, clean and press, and dead lift.

He practiced less than a year and you suggest that he should practice to develop subtle skills? According to XY practitioners on this board you should practice XY as an external exercise for at least 5 years before you progress to internal practice. So his approach should satisfy most on this board, even if his method is a bit . . . huh, odd? Not a very good exercise and waste of time for sure. But you learn best by trying and doing mistakes.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:49 pm

Subtle skills? Like holding san ti? Chi gong? That really isn't asking too much of any practitioner.

As for physical power, I look at it as getting the most bang for your buck. If you want this sort of thing, doing some heavy dead lifts will develop more power on your beng than dragging a metal plate. To me it's all about efficiency.
Chris Fleming

Postby Felipe Bidó on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:16 am

Bao wrote:
Felipe Bidó wrote:I agree with Doc.

He says:"Although ive been in martial arts for many years, Ive only been training in xing yi seriously for about 7-8 months. take care - Randy Stroud"

Give him a break, he is doing just fine for practicing such a short time. ;)

Time has nothing to do with it. With proper instruction he should be doing the conditioning exercises the XY way from day one.

When I said "he'd go slower, more relaxed and deep sinking", I wasn't talking about his experience or understanding of the exercises. Just the way conditioning is taught in XY since the first day of your instruction.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby kreese on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:35 am

Xingyi starts with qigong from day 1 with san ti. It just isn't afraid to develop external attributes at the same time.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:06 am

Felipe Bidó wrote:
Time has nothing to do with it. With proper instruction he should be doing the conditioning exercises the XY way from day one.

When I said "he'd go slower, more relaxed and deep sinking", I wasn't talking about his experience or understanding of the exercises. Just the way conditioning is taught in XY since the first day of your instruction.

You wrote: "since he's doing 'conditioning'..." I thought you were talking about results from the conditioning. My mistake, thanks for explaining.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Harvey wrote:isn't better to do weight dragging with it connected to your waist rather than just one foot?

This kind of training method is not new.

http://johnswang.com/sc15.wmv

When you train your Taiji solo form, if you can hold bricks (or dumbbells) in both of your hands, you will have different attitude toward CMA after a year of this kind of training. Try it, you may like it. You have nothing to lose but you will have a lot to gain.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:06 pm

i agree with john--even doing the taiji form with a few of those brass rings on the wrists adds a whole new dimension. some wrist and ankle weights would not be a wasted investment, i think.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links