CCTV 10 Xing Yi Clip

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: CCTV 10 Xing Yi Clip

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:23 pm

Graham, yes, sorry,I was going from cafe to cafe and didn't double check.

But anyway, it's not an 'obvious flaw' in the classic, because the advice is not ordering you to step into the opponents legs even when you attack from the outside. If you advance, step into his legs. That's why I said it was "Xingyigarden" because it's common sense between XY players and no one comes out and jumps saying "What if I step from the outside". Well, come on...then step to the same distance from the outside. Common sense.

And the "stepping into the opponents leg to make him unabe to regain his balance" is in all the XY quanpu out there. It's not a 'classic' ) between quotes. I know, it's not in the "Theory of Unification" from the Ten Thesis, which is one of few the writings you accept. But it's out there in every single Xingyi Canon. Ask your teacher.

Throwing stones? naaah...well, at least you didn't say I was being rude to you :D
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:31 pm

Andy_S wrote:This is something that doesn't seem to be emphasized in Hsing-I two-man forms, which tend to be (to my uneducated eyes, at least) to be a linear back and forward motion, with a lot of hand-slapping blocks - but no lateral movement, and no crossing.

Andy, even if the movements seem to be 'linear forward-back' in the forms, there is actually a diagonal movement, sometimes very small. Take for example the first counter with Pi Quan on the Five Element Two Man form. It needs a diagonal movement to work, even if when looked from outside seems like a straight move.

"With a lot of hard slapping blocks", even those have a lateral movement and the wave of your body to deliver maximun force.

And Graham, no one is saying "THERE ARE NO HARD BLOCKS IN XINGYI!!!!", because it's common sense,too. So people usually avoid to explain what everyone knows. I think we did have to explain someone a while ago about it, no?. It was you and I to some newbie, as I remember.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Josealb on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Isnt it not only more probable, but entirely possible that the concepts and elemental principles that Ken mentioned, arent in the An Shen Pao or any other 2 man form that YOU learned?

How can you just put your foot down and think people that have been doing this for more time than you, and that have seen more than you, are automatically wrong?

Why do you always take advice or critique at a personal level?

Its cool if you never learned these things...but common. Its always a big fuss with you. You're like...Mr fuss man, or something.

You're a big boy Barlow, time to step out of the Xingyigarden. ;)
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:45 am

so you call me "mr fuss man" but I'm not supposed to take that on a personal level? Nothing you say makes any logical sense. Oh the drama... If you want to get out of the kindergarden you need to talk like a grown up. It's not complicated.

This is the second time in the same number of days that my unacceptable challenges to authority have got everyone hot under the collar. I better take a posting holiday. Back soon...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:32 am

Phew! I don't think I could have handled much more of Graham's relentless challenge to authority! damn that guy sure is one cool-headed rebel.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby chrislomas on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:57 am

How can you just put your foot down and think people that have been doing this for more time than you, and that have seen more than you, are automatically wrong?
Slightly hypocritical Jose :-).

However, I have to say I like An Shen Pao for the infusion of 'Monkey Spirit' (that loosening and quickening of motions) which many I think all Xingyi needs to infuse at some point. However if we are dissing two man forms - I think the five element two man set (all the variations I have learnt) is awfully forced.
chrislomas
Anjing

Postby middleway on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:47 am

the annual Barlow hunt ends in triumph! 3 Cheers for the XYQ clergy! :D (only kidding G ... stop being an arse and caring what people say ... you never normally do!!)

personally i like the 5 element 2 man sequence, the progression in training .... from bang,bang,bang .... then refine refine refine.... it soon becomes a nice little sequence filled with subtle angulation and use of lines.

I like to work it long, medium and close range too ... everything changes regarding subtlety when your nearly chest to chest ... :D

Some really intersting stuff on this thread, thanks guys!

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:08 am

Mr Lomas, just slightly. :)

And its funny that this always happens by the end of the year. Its like a cycle with him or something.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links