Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:27 am

Part 1 was posted.

THE MARTIAL MAN
Published on Feb 3, 2018

Watch the full uncut video with Sifu Adam Mizner featuring over 42 minutes of profound insights and demonstrations into Yang style Taijiquan and Internal martial arts. Watch it now by clicking on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuW4UfaC-l8[/quote]
-------------------------------------
Questions covered during part 1 of the interview:
* Taijiquan is qigong but qigong is not Taijiquan. What does this mean to you?
* Does taijiquan have Chin na?
* How does taijiquan strike and deal with striking?
* Do you have to throw your body mass in order to generate power?
* Does the power come from structure?
* How does taijiquan condition the body against strikes?
-------------------------------------
Questions covered during part 2 of the interview:
* People talk about Jin, Shen, yi, and Qi. Often these are used simply as buzz words, what are their meanings and functions?
* What is the purpose of push hands?
* How does Taiji bridge the gap from pushing hands to fighting?
* Can you explain the meaning of Stupid hands, smart hands and mysterious hands?
* Is it possible to mix Taijiquan with other arts?
* Is the meaning of Zhong ding, centre line?

https://themartialman.com/sifu-adam-miz ... revisited/

Find out more about the sponsors of this video by visiting their Facebook page KUNG FU WORLD Sdn. Bhd.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited - Chin na

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 am

Did you just want to advertise or do you have anything to say about the vid?

You have watched it, right?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Rhen on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:41 am

for once Adam says the right thing...one the lines of break the joint. On the other hand, the demo looks retarded as usual or the interviewer really lacks skill.

more of the same.
Rhen

Postby charles on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:06 am

To quote Mr. Mizner at the beginning of the video, "The question is, uh, kind of irrelevant".

In the short clip, he demonstrates that he can neutralize some attempts at chin na and throwing. It's nice, though something that anyone reasonably well-trained could do. It's mostly an advertisement for what he can do. I don't object to that, but it isn't particularly informative or educational but, perhaps, for someone who has never seen that ability demonstrated. The other topics listed in the content could be interesting but can't be viewed by the public, it seems.
charles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:20 am

Taiji may not have Chin na, but it looks like it definitely has Kung Fu Rub (TM) (official sponsors of The Martial Man (Tm) )
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 am

Bao wrote:Did you just want to advertise or do you have anything to say about the vid?

You have watched it, right?

Just wanted to share the video, but can't link directly so copied the accompanying text with link as is the usual custom round here. I get no money from anybody to do anything.

The entire 42 minutes or so of video are very interesting. I'm very much looking forward to hearing what the lot of you have to say about it when it goes youtube public.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 am

GrahamB wrote:Taiji may not have Chin na, but it looks like it definitely has Kung Fu Rub (TM) (official sponsors of The Martial Man (Tm) )

I NEED A CORPORATE SPONSOR DAMMIT
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 am

Rhen wrote:...the demo looks retarded as usual or the interviewer really lacks skill.

The interviewer seems to be a very serious Wing Chun practitioner. He has made a video with himself explaining things. He doesn’t seem to complete lack of skill. He might be in a demo mode though... He doesn’t want his guest to lose face, right? His video must look good to sell good, no?

oragami_itto wrote:The entire 42 minutes or so of video are very interesting. I'm very much looking forward to hearing what the lot of you have to say about it when it goes youtube public.

I’m very much looking forward to hear what you have to say about it, regardless when or if it goes public or not.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:08 pm

I didn't get to see the long video, But I did view the shorter one. I wasn't overly impressed with it.
It wasn't bad, but nothing like my teachers stuff.
There was some very differences of opinion as well.
In the video he speaks of poeple who try to look better by lifting weights or doing push-ups.
He claims that if practitioners do these types of activities, Then they will never get it.
In my opinion, It's total B.S. I weight lift and I have good taiji.
I understand that many masters of old had said the same thing, So I guess that I don't really fault him for saying so.
But, It's simply not true. So I will ask a simple question as an example for consideration.
If a practitioner, like himself or anyone else, had achieved a certain level of skill, would that skill just simply
cease to exist just because they when to gym and got back in good shape? I hope not...
The truth is that I often wonder how people can be so pedantic.
Muscle atrophy is definitely a very bad thing and for some strange reason many taiji players endorse it???
Here is another example. If someone truly understood what taiji is and how it is used, then why would it be
necessary to waste away? After all, that's against nature. It's the mind that controls the body, not the other way around.
Even if someone allowed much of their normal muscle to waste away, would they still have the capability of
muscle contraction? Of-coarse they would. Just not as much power as someone who lifts weights. So this proves that
the mind is the controller and not how much muscle someone has. It's a choice.
In my opinion, the only drawback of weightlifting is if someone got too big and became muscle bound, which limited his range of motion.
Even in that case, having extra power never hurt in self defense situations. It's a good equalizer.
There was a couple more things that I didn't like either, But hey to each his own.
I still like him and his style. I just think that I have outgrown it.
Last edited by willie on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
willie

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Bao wrote:
Rhen wrote:...the demo looks retarded as usual or the interviewer really lacks skill.

The interviewer seems to be a very serious Wing Chun practitioner. He has made a video with himself explaining things. He doesn’t seem to complete lack of skill. He might be in a demo mode though... He doesn’t want his guest to lose face, right? His video must look good to sell good, no?

oragami_itto wrote:The entire 42 minutes or so of video are very interesting. I'm very much looking forward to hearing what the lot of you have to say about it when it goes youtube public.

I’m very much looking forward to hear what you have to say about it, regardless when or if it goes public or not.

It's well worth the $3. They made the interview specifically to address some of the criticism from the first one and his take on some of the long standing points of contention in the community. Without the video as a reference specific points are kind of pointless. He's kind of a dork sometimes, but the skills and knowledge are spot on and there is a lot of wisdom in what he's got to say.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
It's well worth the $3. ... the skills and knowledge are spot on and there is a lot of wisdom in what he's got to say.

You're a good salesman. :o ;D

willie wrote:Even in that case, having extra power never hurt in self defense situations.

Can't really disagree. But why doesn't your T'ai chi give you the power you need?
... Do I sense lack of faith in the art ... ;) 8-)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Bao wrote:
willie wrote:Even in that case, having extra power never hurt in self defense situations.

Can't really disagree. But why doesn't your T'ai chi give you the power you need?
... Do I sense lack of faith in the art ... ;) 8-)

Hi Bao, Honestly I am quite satisfied with my Taiji. Nothing could replace it in my life.
But my game doesn't stop there. I have many arts and can switch from one to the other when it's safer or
more effective. I don't care how I win. When it goes to the ground,I go there to and I use strength and technique.
Thanks
willie

Postby Bao on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Ok, good reply. 8-)

I can't really understand how people can lift weights and at the same time achieve the level of relaxation necessary for T'ai Chi. I guess some people are just more gifted than me. :P
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:11 am

I completely agree with Willie (OMG!). Lifting did nothing to hurt my taijiquan practice and if anything, helped it as it was just another way to get to know my body. I did need to do specific relaxation and loosening exercises after to keep things loose, but that was good, too.

I am really missing my weights here in Japan this year.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:22 am

Bao wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:
It's well worth the $3. ... the skills and knowledge are spot on and there is a lot of wisdom in what he's got to say.

You're a good salesman. :o ;D

I receive no compensation for my endorsement, just happen to think it's a good deal and you asked for my opinion
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links