Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Martial Man - Adam Mizner revisited - Chin na

Postby windwalker on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:46 pm

Neijin and Li (force) are two different things.

內勁兒即太極勁兒,是神、 意、氣集中到一點上,再把這個點運用到某個姿勢上去。 經過長期的鍛煉以後,就會逐漸擴大增長起來, 變成一種力。這種力是經過鍛煉取得的,是後天之拙力。這種力形式大、動量滯、變換遲、動的去路直,在技擊方面用起來,因身形動作大,運動量較強,因此影響內氣的波動,易於浮躁。 這近於長拳的練法和要求。

One theory to develop Jin (refined force) is to concentrate Shen, Yi and Qi in one point, and then use this point to drive the movements. After a long time of practice, the movements get bigger and carry a powerful force. Since this force is from diligent practice, it’s called the 後天 (After Heaven) "awkward" force. The force is powerful, strong and heavy, react and change slowly, done with straight and direct movements. When you perform martial movements, because the forms and movements are large, you exercise more vigorously. This effects your Qi to move roughly, making it easy to be restless. This is the training methods and requirements of the “Long Fist” (translator: i.e. external martial arts).

https://www.scribd.com/document/1921435 ... d-20130812

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IMA.LiteraryTradition

I believe Richard is a poster on RSF.
lots of good writing and translation work done.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 pm

Graham - I was hoping you would recognize the reference

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:44 pm

willie wrote: Today I am constructing a very heavy steel frame for a machine for the Navy Yard. This requires heavy lifting in order to weld all of the pieces into one unit. Do you actually believe that having to do my job will actually take away from my taiji? If you had a 10 oz bicep and went to the gym and turned it into a 12 oz bicep do you really think that the 2 oz difference will destroy your understanding of taiji?

lifting heavy objects smart using the least amount of energy to do it is the way to go, which I believe will be done when constructing the machine for the navy yard. And the purpose of that machine will probably be to assist yard workers in heavy lifting, pulling, pushing?. We constantly invent tools, machines and methods to ease off physical burdens in various situations we might find ourself in, the exercises of Taijiquan might be such an "invention"......I definitely are not against weight lifting but if one feel the need for it or believe it will advance ones Taijiquan skill then for example kettle bell swings seem more fitting than bicep curls....I personally would like to try out the pole shaking stuff but have not yet found or seen any that practice and teach it.
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:07 am

Nothing wrong with strength training it is how you do it
I have a 60 year old student who has just taken up bodyweight training and is loving it
He is a house painter who climbes ladders and felt he needed to reinforce his body
I did the same when working as a wharfie/longshoreman/docker
I would go from driving heavy machinery to doing hard physical labour
As the labour was intermittent I found a need to do regular weight training
The problem with most people doing weights with internal training is it reinforces their bad form
If the form is good to start with it is not a problem
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:28 am

I see my Python skills are weak :(
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:07 am

Let me explain Grahame
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 am

GrahamB wrote:I see my Python skills are weak :(

Read in another tread about "snake style" of Yang-Taijiquan , I believe to be found in the HK linage, maybe could be something to gain back the strength 8-)
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 am

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Aqui on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 am

First, here is another (in my opinion great) clip of Mizner:

https://www.facebook.com/themartialman/videos/446678075748741/

Then let me share my opinion:
This thread is kind of funny, first people complain that the guy attacking Mizner in the vid (Kieren Krygier) has no skill, so Mizner must be fake...
Then someone points out that Kieren Krygier is a really skilled Wing chun guy which then leads guys here to staste that he obviously tries to make Mizner look good (pretending...).
Guys, can't you just accept that Mizner is really skilled???
I met Mizner at his last US tour and I must admit that before meeting him I thought he is pretty overrated, but the moment I touched hands with him I could do NOTHING, he had complete control. I have NEVER met anyone the level of him. There are quite a few ILiqChuan people out there publicly stating that Mizner has the same level as Sam Chin!
There are several Taiji teachers (with schools and everything) that stopped everything they did so far after meeting Mizner and start new under him.
Mizner is really good, one of the best!!!

The only problem with Mizner, he is pretty full of himself and has the "Guru Syndrome", but guys please differentiate, don't diminish the guys Taiji skills just because he acts like a jerk!

Best,

Aqui
Aqui
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:56 am

Aqui wrote:First, here is another (in my opinion great) clip of Mizner:

This thread is kind of funny, first people complain that the guy attacking Mizner in the vid (Kieren Krygier) has no skill, so Mizner must be fake...
Then someone points out that Kieren Krygier is a really skilled Wing chun guy which then leads guys here to staste that he obviously tries to make Mizner look good (pretending...).
I met Mizner at his last US tour and I must admit that before meeting him I thought he is pretty overrated, but the moment I touched hands with him I could do NOTHING, he had complete control. I have NEVER met anyone the level of him. There are quite a few ILiqChuan people out there publicly stating that Mizner has the same level as Sam Chin!
There are several Taiji teachers (with schools and everything) that stopped everything they did so far after meeting Mizner and start new under him.

The only problem with Mizner, he is pretty full of himself and has the "Guru Syndrome", but guys please differentiate, don't diminish the guys Taiji skills just because he acts like a jerk!

Best,

Aqui

It is amusing ;)
when some talk of who has skill and who does not, more so for those
who are into the seminar circuit and seem very approachable.
He has skill no doubt about it.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:09 am

Best,

Aqui

Good points, but let's not forget that haircut as well. We need to talk about that.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Tiga Pukul on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:44 am

Nice! A TaiJi video also talking about hitting. Good.
Talking about 'Placement' as essential is what i'm missing a lot of times. He doesn't stand there and absorbes the strikes, or tries to 'listen' to them, he moves to a better position. The thing is when you move to a better position AND 'listen' with your hands, it puts you strategically in a better position. You might have an advantage on your opponent, even if he throws a good combination. Offcourse then also timing comes in play, but still YOU want to be the Director not the Directee...
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:55 am

Thank you for sharing. Some good pointers.

I didn't say that Kieren is pretending. But he is in a demo mode, or the same practice mode you have when you practice and test your things against another. On the whole, he has a good attitude, an honest approach and don't try to make it hard for Adam or sabotage, very much like a friendly practicing session. Otoh, it's his show, so obviously, and again, he doesn't try to make it hard for Adam or sabotage. But no, I don't think he acts or try to make it more easy for him.

I have spoken with some very good people and I know about others quite well known fellows who have studied with other well known teachers and now study for him. They all praise him and says that he is the real deal. Now consider that Michael Phillips, a long time and senior student of William Chen, calls Adam his teacher and studies for him. I think that says a lot. (Watch this vid and the others with Phillips. This one should have been recorded about ten years ago, at least around 2006-2008 somewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ThDsHMkINI. I don't agree with all of his explanations, but you can see that he already has some good skills and knowledge.)

The only problem with Mizner, he is pretty full of himself and has the "Guru Syndrome",

I don't doubt that he has some good skills. And actually. I don't care very much about his attitude. There are far worse examples. But there are reasons why people have been critical, especially in the past. I am not going into the reasons why. The past is the past and it's better to let it stay the past.

Honestly, I have got fed up with all of the personal attacks everywhere. Most things addressed in MA discussions seems to be completely personal stuff. It's about how people act, behave, what they do bad, their haircuts.... Mostly critique in a very negative, personal way. I don't get it. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:03 am

Bao wrote:
Honestly, I have got fed up with all of the personal attacks everywhere. Most things addressed in MA discussions seems to be completely personal stuff. It's about how people act, behave, what they do bad, their haircuts.... Mostly critique in a very negative, personal way. I don't get it. :-\

Well said. ;)

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:33 am

GrahamB wrote:but let's not forget that haircut as well. We need to talk about that.

East Asian barbers have mostly not yet got the necessary gung-fu to deal with fair haired foreign Devils, although monk-cut can always be done
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links