Xu Xiao Dong is back vs Wing Chun

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Xu Xiao Dong is back vs Wing Chun

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 am

willie wrote:
windwalker wrote:
how much do think the weight difference was? Does it matter? :P

Of course it matters. It matters a lot, It's physics. When I think of size and weight, what I really think about is bone mass. That's the real important part, not as much the weight. If the person is powering his art by his pelvis, then the size of his pelvis will make a huge difference in the outcome of the fight. Also, it's much more likely to injure your shins if you have thin legs. And it's the same with the whole body. The larger the bone structure the more advantage that someone may have. That fight should have been stopped after the first throw, takedown, it was over right there.

A rhetorical question ;)

As you and maybe some others know, one can not give up so much weight and engage using the same tactics and expect to do anything...Kinda the reason why they have weight classes. Yes it should have been stopped after the first throw,,,The wc guys was lucky....The ref did throw himself in the way to prevent him from getting to damaged.

Had his style or tactics been very different and he was extremely good at it, maybe he would have had a chance.

This time he was lucky,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0
windwalker
Wuji

Re: Xu is back vs Wing Chun

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:10 am

C.J.W. wrote:Yikes.....

Glad to see Xu's back, but sad to see another "under-prepared" TCMAist go down with flying colors.

Like Strange said, kudos to the WC guy for having the guts to fight Xu publicly. But personally, I would never ever advise any TCMAist to step into the ring with a Sanda/MMA guy unless they meet the following basic requirements:

1. know how to deal with a barrage of boxing-type punches directed at the head
2. know how to grapple both on their feet and their backs, especially how to get back up after being thrown to the ground with someone on top of you.
3. Know how to handle Muay Thai- style low kicks

And last but no least, having practiced 1, 2, and 3 IN LIVE SPARRING SESSIONS FOR HUNDREDS OF HOURS WITH OR AGAINST SANDA/MMA GUYS.

The weight coupled with experience was a big factor. Since it is not known about the WC guy in the clip it looks like the other guy outweighed him coupled with experience a no win situation. The WC even managed to hit the mma guy with no effect...As willie noted his posture from the start was bad...

Chris Chan, a local WC teacher back in the 70s used to train for fighting and trained his people to fight.
One of my high school friends trained under Chris. They'ed compete in the full contact events of the day..

Never cared for WC myself but respected their work.

some of Chris's students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sd3J9T2eK4&t=40s
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 am

So the logical conclusion is we need to send some Western students who know how to fight to China to challenge Xu - oh the irony... ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:20 am

willie wrote:
Strange wrote:if lost, learn from fight, go back train some more
as a martial artist, it comes with the terrority
just training more? I don't think is the answer. He needs to completely disassemble his style. His posture is way off. He has no ding. His head was down the entire time. It doesn't look like he even understands how to fight from a clinch. If he wants to salvage his style he will have to add some serious stand up and ground grappling. Then he will not be so easily defeated. It's a shame to see somebody who is not afraid that just doesn't have the right tools because that guy is a fighter.

not sure why, but i have this sudden thought that it would
be a smashing good idea to introduce you to that McKinley guy, a former contributor to the board
i think you two would really hit it off :)
cheers
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:34 am

Obviously ground work was banned so this was more of a kickboxing vs Wing Chun Bout. I think it would have been over ALOT quicker if he was allowed to ground and pound.

The initial flurry of punches was interesting, was exactely what Wing Chun exponents promote, but Xu just covered up and seemed unaffected.

The chap was relatively calm in his approach and that says to me he has 'some' pressure testing in his art. Anyone know who this guy is or what his lineage is?

The funny thing here is that Xu doesnt look all that good at MMA to me. Would hate to imagine what these guys would experience at the hands of one of todays elite fighters.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby willie on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:36 am

[quote="windwalker"]

[As you and maybe some others know, one can not give up so much weight and engage using the same tactics and expect to do anything...Kinda the reason why they have weight classes. Yes it should have been stopped after the first throw]

No I don't think that if his style was better or if he was better at it I meant, that it would have made much difference at all. The reason why I say that is because martial artist of today are very intelligent. They're not just haphazardly throwing things together. Having only One art just can't compete anymore
Last edited by willie on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:47 am

middleway wrote:The funny thing here is that Xu doesnt look all that good at MMA to me. Would hate to imagine what these guys would experience at the hands of one of todays elite fighters.

Bingo. Even Xu himself has talked about this in some of the interviews he gave. He refers himself as a MMA guy who isn't all that good compared with the pros, and says that if even an amateur like him can tear a Taiji master apart, then there must be something seriously wrong and fake about the claims TCMAists are making regarding their fighting prowess.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 am

Why did he go so easy on the WC guy? He ended the "Tai Chi Master" very fast, but here he goes in give a few blows and back up without finishing him off. Comparing with the other match, it's pretty obvious that it's all set up to give the WC guy a couple of rounds, give him time to entertain and keep a little bit of face. Xu must have got some decent amount of yuan to do the match and go easy on the other guy. I wouldn't take the match very serious.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 am

Bao wrote:Why did he go so easy on the WC guy? He ended the "Tai Chi Master" very fast, but here he goes in give a few blows and back up without finishing him off. Comparing with the other match, it's pretty obvious that it's all set up to give the WC guy a couple of rounds, give him time to entertain and keep a little bit of face. Xu must have got some decent amount of yuan to do the match and go easy on the other guy. I wouldn't take the match very serious.

Exactly ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:48 am

Why did he go so easy on the WC guy? He ended the "Tai Chi Master" very fast, but here he goes in give a few blows and back up without finishing him off. Comparing with the other match, it's pretty obvious that it's all set up to give the WC guy a couple of rounds, give him time to entertain and keep a little bit of face. Xu must have got some decent amount of yuan to do the match and go easy on the other guy. I wouldn't take the match very serious.

The tai chi guy was finished in the ground and pound. It is clear that wasnt allowed here.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:52 am

windwalker wrote:
Bao wrote:Why did he go so easy on the WC guy? He ended the "Tai Chi Master" very fast, but here he goes in give a few blows and back up without finishing him off. Comparing with the other match, it's pretty obvious that it's all set up to give the WC guy a couple of rounds, give him time to entertain and keep a little bit of face. Xu must have got some decent amount of yuan to do the match and go easy on the other guy. I wouldn't take the match very serious.

Exactly ;)

Exactly not accurate. :)

Wei Lei (tai chi) showed very little fighting skill. The wing chun guy had more. "Go so easy on the WC guy?" No. Xu almost knocked out the wing chun guy at 1:05 and gave him a bloody nose.

The fights were what they were; a reality check.
Last edited by marvin8 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby AJG on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:54 am

Lesson - bare knuckle hitting hard head not good for knuckle.
AJG
Anjing

Postby cloudz on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:34 am

This was on the same youtube page.

Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:53 am

marvin8 wrote:Wei Lei (tai chi) showed very little fighting skill. The wing chun guy had more. "Go so easy on the WC guy?" No. Xu almost knocked out the wing chun guy at 1:05 and gave him a bloody nose.

As Middleway pointed out, the rule set here is very different. Or rather, here there was some rules in favour to the WC guy. When the first round begin, Xu doesn't go in with the mind-set to run over the WC guy, instead, he plays with him and is not scared to take a few punches in the face. It's obvious that the organiser wants a longer fight to please the audience. They both play along. Xu takes a few punches and the WC gy puts very little strength in his punches. If he tries to put some power in them, I don't know. I can't tell if the WC guy has more fighting skills than the "Tai Chi Master". Here I see none.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 am

I think the weight difference is critical. It's why there are weight divisions. The lighter guy has to be better. That said, I totally agree that sparring practice with skilled opponents to is also necessary.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links