Silat Hands for Self Defence — Guru Maul

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Silat Hands for Self Defence — Guru Maul

Postby marvin8 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:20 am

Maul565
Published on Apr 1, 2018

2 Bruneian students studying in the UK wanted Guru Maul to teach them the basics of self defence. The first part of training is having good coordination before anything else.

This is their first formal training so it was kept mainly on the fundamentals. They did well in 2 hrs.

This is “The Hands of Silat”. No foot trapping, sweeps, locks or takedowns.

http://www.SilatSuffian.net
Facebook page : Silat Suffian Worldwide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puv6ImeHRro
Last edited by marvin8 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Silat Hands for Self Defence — Guru Maul

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:07 pm

I've always liked Maul's Silat and enjoyed watching him flow from one beautiful technique to another.

But one can't help but wonder: How many of those moves actually work against an aggressive puncher who really wants to put the hurt on you?
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:55 pm

He has another film where he shows using the closed fist as a shield and the empty hand as a sword
I think it is a bit better than this one
He explains how his system developed for a melee situation rather that one on one
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Tiga Pukul on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:21 am

A nice flowing video of Maul Mornie again. I would however not call this 'the basics of self-defense'. Learning all these nice ways of deflecting punches and moving from outside to inside with several counters is not what you should learn first. Basics should be about how to make a single deflect/parry effective against a single hit and slowly build up intensity. Dealing with multiple hits in this way is never what i would call 'the first basics of self-defense'.
Confusing people with dozens of variations can be nice to show the possibilities a bit but never a good way to teach people.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Return to Video Links